Hasbro replacing screws with pins?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ratchets Hatch, May 20, 2011.

1. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Many people have complained about the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the new DotM figures. So far, I only have Ratchet and Megatron, neither of which have disappointed me. However, I have noticed that Hasbro are using fewer screws than they used to. Joints and parts that normally would have been secured with screws now have pins instead.

This may not be a problem for most collectors, but I find it rather unnerving because pins make it more difficult to replace parts and do kit bashes. Granted, I don't do that many customs, but when I do, unscrewing a screw is much easier than trying to knock out a pin, and there's less risk of damaging plastic parts.

Is it just cheaper to use pins instead of screws? If not, why is Hasbro apparently moving away from using them?

2. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think screws are only used to hold pieces together, and pins are used when movement is necessary. Maybe they are engineering more moving joints, and less static parts.

-Silvershot

3. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Ummm... I own plenty of figures that have screw joints. (I don't know it that's the correct term)

4. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

RTS Jazz i have 5 in total some have screws and some have been replaced by pins on the hood. this result in the shoulders being loose and this makes it little hard to tighten it. my initial purchases have screws but the latest one have pins.

5. seali_me

not all the time. some screws on have the spiral at the tip and the rest of it is smooth allowing for movement. ex. RTS Jazz' hood screws. some have screw heads and some have pins only.

also i noticed that some of the pins have been pushed through too hard. the tip of the pin shows on the headlights. its a bad move on hasbro's part or maybe they ran out of these screws at some point.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Rivet assembly requires less labor and provides for fewer "throwaway" defects on the manufacturing side* as there's less precision needed - with screws, the person doing the assembly needs to be consistent in how tight they assemble each in order to prevent pieces from being too loose, avoid warping or plastic splitting due to being overtightened, etc... With a rivet it's just Bam - Jam it in, move to the next one.

* As in, they don't have to worry about damaging or fucking up during assembly. I'm not talking about the finished product (with loose joints, overpressed pins, etc...) - that isn't the factory's problem.

7. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    not happy with all the pin joints either.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I prefer the option to unscrew (or tighten) if needed.

On a side-related note, I recently took apart an Alternators Wheeljack to try and fix a broken slider on the kneepad part. I couldn't do as well a job as I'd have liked because the sliders were held in place with rivets rather than screws. Made what should've been an easy repair a difficult one. Was most annoying. And if I ever find a junker figure with a good knee flap I'd have to swap the entire leg rather than just the flap.

So, based on that, I would prefer screws to rivets for the most part.

9. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

Uh have you looked @ Skyhammer?!? He has more screw's then Pin's and he has a lot of pins but has a ridiculous amount of screws!

10. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    oh screw it!

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Exactly.

As men, it's our inherent need to constantly be able to fix things, and being disallowed to carry this mentality over to our toys is very unnerving to say the least.

12. seali_me

*tim allen home improvement grunt*