Hasbro Really Needs To Step It Up With TF Classics.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Aug 9, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    I have to say that compared to the Henkei versions, Hasbro classics are just shameful. Don't get me wrong, Hasbro's designs have been great but the QC and the paint schemes on some of these figures have been terrible. (I.E. WHITE Astrotrain, No paint on Classics Starscream's face.)

The Henkei versions of ALL of these figures have been far superior. Case in point, I was at my local Wal-Mart in the past week and they had Sunstreaker and Prowl. I was so excited I decided to buy both. I went through about 10-12 Prowls looking for one with halfway decent paint.

I couldn't find one.....not one.....that had a good paintjob. All of them out of a dozen or so had horribly sloppy paint on them and scratches etc. I was so disgusted that I passed on both of them.

After owning Henkei Starscream, Astrotrain, and Grimlock (and seeing pics of Henkei Prowl and Sunstreaker.) I have to say THANK GOD Takara is re-doing the Classics line because collectors are finally getting the nice looking, well made figures we deserve.

2. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

I dont know what you're complaining about...

I like the white Astrotrain... And I dont mind the unpainted face on Starscream, because to me it doesnt really look unpainted...

I think the Hasbro versions are well made and nice figures, and yeah, some of the Takara figures have nice paint apps, but there is nothing wrong with the Hasbro Classics...

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You are simply wrong on this point. With the Universe figures, all Takara is doing is adding inappropriate chroming. If you really think that's worth the extra cash, well it's your money. By the way, would you be interested in buying Big Ben? I can get you a great price on it.

4. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    You have a right to your opinion and I didn't start this thread to argue.....it's just my opinion.

With the Takara versions it's not just chrome.....they've changed the entire paint schemes on some of the figures and made them look better......also, some of the Takara paint schemes more closely resemble the G1 versions. One other thing about the Takara versions is the paintjobs are higher quality with less QC issues.

Did you see my point about shopping for a universe Prowl? The paintjobs were just shameful and Hasbro ought to be ashamed.

5. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

Most QC and paint app problems I've had have been solved with an exacto knife, some fine tiped oil based Sharpie paint pens, and some kick ass Reprolables. I would personally like to thank Hasbro for leaving some of their figs a little less "seasoned" than their Japaneese counterparts. It's enabled me to see beyond some minor issues and make them my own.

6. Optimus Sledge

So how do you know that the Henkei Prowl, that isn't out yet, won't suffer the same problem? You're claiming that something no one's seen will be superior to what we've got. I don't understand.

So which figures are you claiming have superior paint jobs? I'm certainly not seeing any much difference so far on the Universe stuff.

Oh, and Henkei Grimlock hurts my eyes. Far too much silly chrome.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To be completely honest, I have never had any Quality Control issues with Hasbro products. Personally I think Hasbro's versions of Classics and Universe figures are much better than what Takara's doing with them. Bland paintjobs and completely random and useless chrome don't make them better, just much much worse. If anything Takara needs to step it up.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The additional paint, chrome, and better quality control are all the result of the fact you pay more. If you like that or think its worth the money hey then by all means go for it.
    Don't however blame hasbro for having to sell to a totally different market. Americans put value over quality, how else can you explain the success of wal-mart. Hasbro does as much as it can while trying to keep the price rock bottom. Also when Adults and teens start talking about what the DESERVE in a child's TOY they just sound silly

9. Nemesis_Prime22

This.

10. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I like some of the first Henkei repaints like Astrotrain, Megatron and Starscream, but as far as the newer ones go, they really aren't that much better in my opinion and do not warrant a purchase over the less expensive Universe Classics I can get at local retail.

But yeah, the QC on the Universe classics have been hit or miss. I find myself checking everything on the shelf to find something that doesn't have crap paint.

11. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'm basing my opinion on Henkei Prowl on the fact that I own Henkei Grimlock, Starscream, and Astrotrain ( 2 and in some cases 3 of each with no QC issues.)

The side by side comparison pics posted recently of Henkei vs Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker make the Henkei versions look far better IMO.

Also, Henkei Starscream and Astrotrain blow Classics Starscream and Astrotrain out of the water.....Henkei versions are far better. Looking at pics of Henkei Megatron and Prime also make me feel the same way about Classics Megatron anfd Prime.......Henkei is better IMHO.

As far as Henkei Grimlock goes, I know I'm in the minority but, I like it alot and I like the chrome alot too.......if anything Henkei and Classics Grimlock are a wash.

12. Optimus Sledge

So you can tell by LOOKING at paint what it will feel like? My mind is blown.

13. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:

Look how about we agree to disagree? I've stated my point and you've stated yours....nothing is changing......can't we all just get along?

14. Nemesis_Prime22

Blasphemy! :lol 

15. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    This. I like the basic palettes, but I have always liked to customize my tf's...

16. Optimus Sledge

Hang on a second. You've claimed that Henkei Prowl's paint will be superior to Universe Prowl's. I've asked you how you know that. That's not an argument, unless you make it one. If you can't support your views, I suggest you don't present them to the world at large. Especially if you're going to start getting arsey when someone asks you why you believe what you're saying.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The only true way to compare the two accurately is to have both in-hand right next to each other. Even then you have to take into account the fact that Hasbro has to produce much more of them, and for a different target audience. So in the end it's really not a fair comparison, imo. Still, Hasbro>Takara will remain my opinion. I can't get over the bland paint jobs (take Starscream for example), and the completely random and useless use of chrome on every single Henkei figure (Grimlock's one of the worse in that respect, imo).

18. Nemesis_Prime22

This. Again.

Way to go Ravenxl7. :lol 

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:

Looks like optimus major was right when he said "this main is a genious" :thumbs2: 

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest I like Classics colors alot more than Henkei's, they're so accurate to G1 they're just as boring!

Just compare the Bumblebees! Takara-bee is so blandly yellow I always expect it to start saying "Pika! Pika!"