Hasbro please give me all my size classes back

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok so transformers is more popular then ever right now and we have all these diverse products on the market. We got Animated, Universe, Robot Heroes, Cross overs, Role play stuff. So with all this product out there why is hasbro shrinking down the main line???? I miss the days of having a toy line that consisted of: Basics, deluxes, megas, ultras, supers, and supremes.

Megas/voyagers are now an either or with ultras and basics seem to be doing their own thing now. so the question is why?

I know there have always been issues with megas an ultras due to the fact they look similar in the box and have very close prices. An ultra alot of the times feels like a voyager with lights and sounds shoved up his tail pipe. The best advice I can give you hasbro is this: Two of your best Ultras were Scourge and tidal wave and thats because they are giant Bad Asses!!! Where you went wrong is with guys like Cybertron Defense Red Alert. A great character design but essentially he is voyager sized figure with a $5 dollar toy rocket that comes packed inside.

I would suggest changing up the packaging so the price points stand out from each other. For example use the very cool robot mode packagin you have been using for the premium exclusives for the movie line and keep the ultras in the older style of packaging. Also dont force electronics in to every to, they should only be used when it makes sense for the action feature. Light-up turrets on movie Leader brawl? Sucks. Take-off countdown on Armada jetfire? COOL!!

As for the basics, I must say these have always been some of my favorite toys. As the basic price point is the primary grab and go toy for kids I think it should have a little bit of everything in it. Main characters, New guys, plains, cars, military, motorcycles, minicon 3 packs, legends two packs. Keep people guessing with the basics and dont get tied into one idea like Real Gears or Activators.

My point is that I would like two see more variety in one line of toys versus having multiple lines. Multiple price points lets you give the line a sense of scale which hard core fans definitely want.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if Hasbro dropped the Ultra class. I find a lot of them to be overly simplistic compared to Deluxes and Voyagers, and the lights and sounds are usually not worth wasting the batteries on. Of course, I'd just as soon see light and sound gimmicks done away with entirely. One of my happiest days as a collector was when Armada Jetfire's annoying and highly sensitive countdown inexplicably broke. Man, I hated that thing.

I actually like what they're trying out with the Basic class now. The Real Gears were great little toys (which sold horribly, unfortunately), and Activators seem like a cool way to have versions of the main characters that can be easily carried around. I like the idea of a mini-scale version of the main cast and I think these will turn out to be pretty popular with kids.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I love the Activators. I think they look so cool. Ultras are still kicking, but they're like a dude who follows you and you're friends everywhere you go because he can't let go. You know he's following, but you try not to make eye-contact. I've really never been a huge fan of Supreme's, though TF&RO Prime looks like the most fun you could have with a gimmicky TF.

TF has lots of variety now more than ever as far as I can see. Animated has the Activators, Deluxes, Voyagers and Leaders aswell as the kid-freindly toys like Bumper batlers and stuff like that, while classics 2/Universe is bringing in more Deluxes, Ultras, Legends, comic two-pack exclusives, etc... not to mention the Movie line.

It's these little moments of reflection that make me like Transformers even more.

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I'm fine with the current line up, but I hate how little by little they dropped the basic size. I miss those little guys :( 

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do agree with you to a point. I mean, I do miss the basics (I think that Activators should be separate from the basic figures...) and while I don't think basics would have a place in Animated... I think that they'd be a great price point to have in the Classics/Universe line.

Also, on the point of Ultras, we do still have them in Classics/Universe, but I agree that there are some characters in Animated that were made as Voyagers that could have been better figures as Ultras (that is, assuming that Hasbro didn't bulk them down with useless electronics).

Still, when you look at it... we've got more stuff going on now than we have ever...

Animated: Activators, Deluxe Class, Voyager Class, Leader Class, Supreme Class, Bump & Go, Role Play & all the other kiddie friendly stuff.

Classics 2.0/Universe 2.0/25th Anniversary: Deluxe Class, Voyager Class, Ultra Class & Target Exclusive Comic Two-Packs.

Movie Line: Looks to be continuing through various store exclusives until the next movie... Target's Scouts, Wal-Mart's Deluxes and TRU's Voyagers & Ultras.

So, really, there's a lot to choose from in the comming year or so.

6. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

i think we may see a return of ultras in the future. i got the impression that ultras haven't been selling well, (always warming shelves here), so Hasbro has faded them out. i think the universe Ultras and TRU exclusives are testing waters to see if ultras will sell with the recent surge of popularity. if they sell well, we'll probably start seeing more of them.

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

Only ones really I miss are the basics/scouts; there are plenty of small TF characters out there which this size class would be perfect for.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I was thinking about that the other day. I know scale isn't a priority, but it would have been nice to get maybe an Ultra Blackout in the movie line rather than the tiny deluxe, or an Ultra Bulkhead and Lugnut for Animated. And I miss Basics too. The ones in Energon and Cybertron were, for the most part, full of win. Nothing quite like getting a kickass Transformer for under $10.

9. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    isn't deluxe.... the new basics........

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Basic meaning the size class. I guess they're calling it 'Scout Class' now.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Deluxe has been the same thing since Beast Wars; $10 toys, roughly 5.5 inches tall in bot mode. Basics/Scouts have always been the toys below them.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

My complaint with the current sizes is the multiple versions of one character, such as Voyager Bulkhead and Leader Bulkhead. It's probably Hasbro milking the character for all that he's worth, so I can understand it from a business point of view. But I'd still prefer to see one toy version of each character. Look at Animated Mgatron, just too many versions in my opinion.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As I said in the Leader thread, personally I think the best option if they're limiting the number of pricepoints would be to drop the Leader and current version of Ultra pricepoints, and replace them with a single class (Ultra's a decent enough name still) at a price somewhere between the two; $30-35 thereabouts.

As it is, you've got:
    Deluxe $10
    Voyager $20
    Ultra $25
    Leader $40
    Supreme $50

Ultras and Leaders seem to me to be that close to their nearest neighbours price-wise that they're barely worth bothering with, and considering how sporadically Ultras are used anyway I don't think it'd be a big switch to just combine the two pricepoints.

Basics are another one where I don't think they're an enormous loss. Originally they were kind of the 'pocket money' toys, but the prices have crept up gradually to the point where they're barely any cheaper than Deluixes. I can see why it'd be simpler to just phase out the pricepoint altogether and just scale up any figs that might otherwise be basics into relatively small Deluxes.

I think this point was answered by someone in the Leader topic too; while I agree it can be frustrating to see so many versions of a single character, it provides options for the buyers; some collectors want the version that's best in scale with the others, but some can't afford to shell out for big Leader class figs etc, so they want Deluxe so they get their favourite characters at a reasonable price - this is especially true considering the majority of buyers will probably be parents getting them for their kids. If those kids want Prime and Megatron and they're only available at Leader class, they're gonna have to wait 'til Christmas. Deluxes they can have now. That and the (regular) cast of Animated is relatively small, so there are fewer characters to spread through the case assortments.

14. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nitpick: Megas and Voyagers are different things. Voyagers are the equivilent of BW Ultras.

Basic________$5-7_______Mini-Con/Scout
    Deluxe_______$10________Deluxe
    Mega________$15________------
    Ultra________ $20________Voyager
    ------_______$25-28_____Ultra
    Super_______ $30________------
    ------_______$40________Leader
    Supreme_____$50________Supreme

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  15. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Hasbro's simply engaging in just about the scale of oversaturation that's bit them in the ass before. You know, back when many stores had a shelf with 1 Alternator, 1 reissue, 1 dusty Titanium, 2-3 Energon, and a pile of putrid Universe debris. Except now it'll be 1 Animated, 1 Classic2, a few unlearned Universe lessons, piles of worthless unsellable Movie Legends, FABs, CyberSlammers, Robot Heroes, and yet another movie Bumblebee repaint.

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. For the old school Megas, but in Energon the $20 price point was referred to as Megas as well. In Armada I don't remember what they were called because Hasbro did this cutesy little thing were each price point was something-con (ie: Mini-Con was the Basic/Scout & Super-Con was the Deluxe & I believe Max-Con was the $20 one). They didn't start calling the $20 figure Voyagers until Cybertron and it's stuck since then.

Really if you want to get technical it's a lot more in depth than that as each year the names of the price points have gotten switched up a little. There's a really interesting article on the TF Wiki about it: Size Class Article. It's actually a really good read and had a lot of information in it I didn't know about until I read it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  17. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I'm just confused period...

18. glancer

glancer Dinobot

i agree with the thought that it is not the size that matters but the toy itself. a great toy will always be a great toy.

nod and nod. sometimes it's just too frustrating to think over which class of toy i should get. and not all the classes of one character will satisfy people. (like Cybertron supreme starscream, i just found the transformation too plain for such a big toy, and not much mobility.)
    deluxe has always been my favorite class. toys are affordable and full of fun. well at least most of them.
    at last, so far none of the TFA toys has got me interested. so i guess i dont have to worry about the size and am gonna save a fortune.

19. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Well wider assortion of category of class does help quite much, I also miss basics and ultras too. And at least the ultras had neat electronics.