Hasbro, Panic & Paranoia

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LadyStarscream, Sep 18, 2012.

1. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

It's funny when you think about it, and also scary. Hasbro has successfully created a demand for their top brands fueled by our paranoia. I remember a time, not too long ago, when items were available. I didn't have to hunt store after store and still find nothing worthwhile. The figures were available, I could wait on most items, for a sale or coupon, and pick up things at my leisure, whether it be online or in person. I remember when good toys actually went on clearance. Fast forward to now, preorders for items at inflated prices selling out almost instantly, current items not instock at retail, not even on Hasbro Toy Shop. Collectors buying things out of boredom or simply because its new. I don't remember this happening so drastically a year or two ago. The thrill of the hunt was always part of collecting, but for me it used to be that I wanted a particular item quickly, or first, or because it was a favorite character. But now it seems the hunt is more out of fear of missing out, and its sucking a good deal of enjoyment out of this hobby for me, not to mention money. I am not trying to whine here, as I am caught up on all the lines I am interested in at the moment, but was wondering how everyone else feels. I guess this is the new normal.

2. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Quite right. My how times have changed. :crazy: 

3. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I felt the same way when I went to Wal*Mart earlier today. I found NOTHING! And I definetely don't want to miss Voyager DW

4. BreakdownRobot

BreakdownRobot Breakdown Robot!

Ebay:
    As someone who just got back in to collecting Transformers recently, it's terrible. I'm mainly keeping my focus to MPs, 3P, and key G1 pieces that I have sentimental attachments too... but there are times where certain molds or decos catch my eye. Like, say for example, SDCC Bruticus. The stress and lost sleep over uncertainty from HasbroToyShop's lack of communication regarding initial stock and restocks was just a nightmare. Recently, it's been MP TC, and honestly I've given up and don't care anymore. I'm praying Hasbro's MP-10 ends up as part of their new Hot Toys reservation program so I don't have to go through it again.

On the flip side, it's kept me focused on what I truly want to collect. I really enjoyed FoC and having SDCC Bruticus next to the TV would be sweet, but it really doesn't fit in with my collection focus. Sticking with MP/3P means I have to budget long-term for my fix, and it can be tough not to splurge on the new hotness waiting between releases, but learning how to just say "screw it" to the scarcity race has been a weight off my shoulders.

But yes, I agree, this trend is not fun.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. I have yet to see one RiD Deluxe Vehicon.

6. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    3P, whether we like it or not, has played a TREMENDOUS part in this. since about the 2005-06 era where we really got introduced to them, TF collecting was always a bit "tricky" for some key figures. mostly G1 and the reissues were hard to get then because they were the hot items and being gouged on ebay. but once 3P hit, and people became introduced to things like city commander & cliffjumper add on kits selling out, and you missed them, they would go for obscene amounts in the secondary market. unheard of for such new things to the collecting world.

fast forward to today and that feeling of "buy NOW or you won't be able to get it later for a good price!! or at ALL!!" has spread to everything. even domestic product that should be available when you walk down every toy isle. the stores with their abysmal stocking, distribution and hasbro's case packs filled with yellow wonders just adds to the obsessive panic and paranoia that collectors experience.

but you know what? I still have found all my prime toys at retail. I'm missing airachnid, but I did find her. I chose not to get her :lol . I got MP TC from a board member willing to help me. I got a tts black prime for $10 less then completely booked preorders were charging at the time. and I will get my FE optimus and bulkhead voyagers come this winter too.

fuck the paranoia and the panic. you can get everything you want if you stay calm about it, make friends on the boards and locally, and are willing to help others out with what they're looking for too. it sounds cheesy and corny, I know. but it works.
    you can go completely apeshit paranoid about this stuff or you can go about it realistically and with a little patience, get the same stuff with less worry and stress.

7. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, these days I'm just looking at MPs and 3rd party stuff. Thankfully, nothing in Hasbro's line-up has caught my eye with the exception of voyager Dreadwing. But seeing his alt mode has me second guessing that now. Just not even bothering with the FOC figures or the Prime line anymore has taken a ton of this proverbial stress away. Besides, my personal opinion, I think the current FOC line looks like shit. I don't want them so....more for everyone else right? :D 

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I feel the same way.

I had to change the way I collect. At one time it was just picking what I like over the course of the wave life. Now its diving through a sea of Bumblebees trying to find that one non yellow figure.

I hate to be put in this spot. I hate having to jump at the moment when I see something new, instead of doing like the past and just get it when I want to to get it. Now if I wait, I might not get another chance.

Like the Walmart near me, I got Vehicon, Dead End, and Dreadwing there. Not once after the first two buys, did I ever see them or figures of that wave in that store again.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    By making things trickier to get hold of, they've had the opposite effect on me. It just makes me feel like not bothering at all.

But I don't know that I'd agree this shift was anything intentional. I think most of it is a combination of poor decisions, a bad economy making them take a more conservative stance, and misreading the market.

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But....but....but....everyone LOVES Bumblebee!!!!!!!!

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree Hasbro and the retailers are making this hobby far more stressful than it needs to be. I definitely know that paranoid feeling of if you don't pick it up today you will never ever see on the shelves at any retailer ever again.

Looking at the Marvel Universe line it seems like things really don't have to be this way. Figures for that line tend to get re-issued in later waves so if you didn't have the money on you one day to pick up a figure in the comic book pack chances are good the character will see another release later on. Even Star Wars seems to give more than one chance, but with Transformers if you aren't constantly on the ball you will miss that character for good.

12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    If I don't find it at retail I can just always buy it online as a last resort. And I know how this is bothering people but lately with Hasbro admitting about the Bumblebee problem it looks like it may be solved eventully.

13. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

The hobby is really only as stressful as you, the hobbyist, allow it to be.

14. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would explain the layoffs and the terrible earnings.

15. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Value is driven primarily by percived scarcity in our society, its as much humanity's fault as it is Hasbro's!

16. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am being completely serious when I blame this almost entirely on the overproduction of Bumblebee in nearly every line they're putting out.

17. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

=/ This thread. Once a day. Dear god hasbro... give them what they want. A Solid gold bumblebee.

18. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I never buy new in store Transformers based off how rare or hard to find they are.

I only buy new TF toys based off if I like the designs or not.

I Always buy newer TF store toys as soon as I see them in stores.

19. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    In just a few years I've gone from hunting for the figures I want to preordering almost everything. There have been too many times where I would spend 10 or 20 bucks on gas in a weekend and come home empty handed when I could have spent less on that to have what I was looking for shipped to me. Before the preordering I would try to wait until items were in stock at BBTS or TFSource, but then things would sell out before I had a chance to order. Now I feel like if I don't get my orders in as soon as possible, I'll have to wait two or three or four months to get the figures I want after they get released.

I used to enjoy the hunt for new figures but it's just not worth all the time and effort and gas that goes into it. I was hoping to get a Masterpiece Thundercracker but I have to accept the possibility that it may not happen. It's a challenge to find one and I don't want to do business with the scalpers who made it so hard for us collectors to get them at retail.

Maybe this is the consequence of our hobby being as popular as it is.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Well, the problem are the people who buy more than one and don't leave enough for the rest. They sell the stuff for ridiculous money on ebay and no one than wants it, except for some crazy people who are so desperate that they pay those prices. But everyone else...

So you have to buy them online and quick before they are gone.

I prefered how it was in the 80s. Some toys were available for 2 years. You just could buy it, when you were able to.

It really sucks sometimes to spend money on a figure I want, although I don't have actually the money for the figure right now. Because, you know, importing is a bit more expensive. In stores I can't find them at all most of the time.