hasbro or takara tomy masterpiece

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chas_520000, Dec 2, 2009.

1. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

Does anyone perfer Hasbros versions over TakaraTomys. I have all the mastrpiece figures from both companys and the TakaraTomy ones have all had small problems. While the Hasbro versions have had no issues. At this point I'm debating on getting black convoy but not sure if it worth the price or hassle.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Sit tight, watch reviews for a while. It's unlikely to appreciate in value. It may even go down.

3. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

I just don' understand why Takaras QC is so bad while Hasbros has been good. U would think it would be the other way around since they are Takaras molds and were made for Hasbro.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How good either company's QC is depends on who you ask. (and their own level of luck and/or pickyness)

Right now I have Hasbro Optimus Prime, Starscream, and Skywarp - and Takara Megatron and Grimlock (will probably get a Hasbro Grim when they come out). Haven't noticed much QC difference twixt them, but I have none of the same MP toys by both companies for side-by-side comparison (yet), so I'm not a good judge. Biggest notables I've seen are the paint and safety-related differences.

5. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the QC at Takara went down hill with the Tomy merger. I have had zero problems with any of my Collection G1 re-issues or my Binaltechs. The Encore series though is a different matter and of course they got MP Thundercrackers boobs the wrong way around!

6. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say it depends, quality issue i really see no difference ( at least with the ones i have ), but as for me i like hasbro because they are closer to the original toys paint scheme, which takara are painted different( Green scream ). But hasbro takes forever to release an MP figure.

So i would say its up to you if you want to wait and see if hasbro will release anything or just pick up whatever takar makes and deal with the color/ paint scheme.

7. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do not see much difference in quality with mine. I do like the boxes that Takara release their MP in more than Hasbro. I have Hasbro Prime because I liked the battle damage and Hasbro Starscream because of G1 paint, I did get the Takara MP box for Prime and Starscream as well. All the rest of mine are Takara. I will get Hasbro Thundercracker if he gets a release and the "pecs" are corrected.

8. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    The reason Habro MPs have better quality is because they have more time to work with the molds.

The Masterpiece molds are released Japan by Takara and about a year later in the States by Hasbro. Hasbro has an extra year to fix all the small problems that the MP Molds have.

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the Takara/Tomy MP stuff more as if I'm going to own a MP figure I want the very best figure possible (packaging, paint scheme etc...). That being said Hasbro's MP stuff is perfectly acceptable and has been pretty good considering how they tend to botch a lot of releases with inferior figures.

10. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I like Takara for the detail. Hasbro is not big on paint apps from what I've seen. I got MP-04 and I just love it. I'm glad I went with Takara on it instead of Hasbro.

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I have all the Masterpiece figures from both Companies.

For Optimus I prefer Takara's (due to the longer stacks and no battle wear).

I prefer Takara's Starscream, but I'm glad Hasbro's is the cartoon styled colors.

For Skywarp, I think I may prefer Hasbro's actually - but I'm not completely sure. I just like the details and the yellow eyes. But I think Takara has a better jet mode (I like the gloss).

So overall I think Takara does a better job decoing the figures, but both are pretty even.

Randy

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got them all as well, and I find them pretty even for the most part.

TT pieces "feel" much more like collectibles to me because of the packaging, but that's just personal preference.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I much prefer Takara's packaging for the line. It just looks so damn nice, and really makes it feel like something special instead of another figure you'd get in the toy aisle.

Can't quite compare quality since the only two I have are Megatron and the US release of Skywarp, and Megatron is notorious for his not quite stable feelingnessity.