Hasbro official says Animated in Ohio is for Botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Hollywood Hoist, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

It's all bullshit excuses. Hasbro is just kissing up to Walmart. The fact that i'm positive they have thousands upon thousands of orders already placed in HTS alone yet they are still "sticking" to there bullshit street date (yet breaking it for some states and countries) is proof of that.

I absolutely love this Animated line and series but the way they have treated the release of the figures has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Your positivity is proof?

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I love the irony of all this. Retailers wanted movie stuff cause they couldn't keep it on the shelves during the movie and christmas. So the movie line is extended, but predictably enough the ship has sailed, and now the new extended movie stuff just isn't selling cause its old and forgotten news now. So instead of selling the animated like originally planned, which would probably fly off the shelves like hot cakes right now, the retailers are stuck with the movie line in hopes that somehow they'll get popular again...probably isn't gonna happen.

Now when animated finally does come out, will that ship have sailed also? Certainly, not as many kids will buy cause they'll probably have already forgotten about the show and moved on to the next trend. FUnny shit I tell you.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *raises hand* I want (and did get) the Premium and Allspark Power toys.

I have noticed Movie toy sales significantly slacking off within the past month, month-and-a-half, though.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    The won't have sailed because the cartoon will still be going. The end is not in sight.

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What I don't understand is how is Hasbro kissing up to Wal*Mart? By doing what their number one customer asked them to do? I'm sorry, but that's not kissing up, that's good buisness.

HE TELL ME?

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Check check.

But maybe they wanted to pimp the product to the general public also...still, a booth would been nice.

Oh well, I'm all preordered up on HTS anyways.

8. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

It's kissing up. A business doesn't want to stock the toys till they milk the previous series thats fine, don't hold them back everywhere else though. Especially Wal-mart, i've had enough of their bullshit agreements and exclusives that you can never find. Too add insult they then complain about "stolen goods" and auctions on eBay. Well no duh Hasbro, you got the toys just sitting in the supply line for months teasing all the fans. Somethings gotta break.

All you gotta do is look at the order numbers. Hell from the morning the inital batch went up the order numbers jumped a couple thousand alone.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never said that about exclusives, nor would I. I just can't shake this feeling that the Botcon attendees already get a ton of great stuff, why should they get the first crack at Animated toys, too? It makes me feel like all of us who can't afford to drop a few hundred and a weekend to fly off to a convention are being treated like second-class citizens. The con attendees get the royal treatment with all of the news and exclusive images in panels that the rest of us don't get to see pictures from, and now they're even given a chance to buy the first wave of new toys two months before the rest of us. Right now it feels like the Botcon attendees have gone from being some select fans who get cooler stuff because they put in the money and effort (which is perfectly cool) to being a group that gets preferential treatment from Hasbro for doing so (which is significantly less cool).

And really, why does Hasbro need a "test market" for Animated anyway? This isn't some weird new soda or flavor of potato chip they're trying out (which I see a lot, living in a city that gets used as a test market frequently). It's not like they're going to see if the sales here are good enough to release nationwide - they're already going to do that. Although, thinking about that, it might be possible that Hasbro could use the sales from this test release to convince stores that there's sufficient demand for the Animated stuff now and that they'll make a lot of money if they stock it now. If that's the case, then consider my bitching null and void and replace it with a hearty "Well played, Hasbro." :wink: 

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For the moment, let's disregard the fact that we don't know exactly how HTS's order numbers work (i.e., if there's an order corresponding to every number in sequence) OR what items were purchased on all those potential orders.

How would "thousands upon thousands" of Animated HTS orders be "proof" that "Hasbro is just kissing up to Walmart"?

11. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

Because we have to wait till the end of June for product that is already in the supply line because Wal-mart (and to a lesser extent these other chains) wants to sit on Movie products. If they didn't want to make nice or fear angering the wally world then they would just ship the Animated out regardless. Point is if Hasbro shipped through HTS early that would hurt early sales of Animated in retail and thus cause the Animated line numbers to look not so great for reorders and future waves.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    that's the nature of the beast these days. Retailers are too powerful. In the old days, a producer told a retailer "this is what you can get", but now its the other way around, and the retailer tells the producer "we won't settle for that, we want this".

13. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    The best way to humiliate the Hasbro is by going to Botcon and asked a question at the Hasbro booth that whether they intended to let the foreigners to sell the animated figure through a backdoor to satisfy the crazy fans while not angering the mass retail lines... (let's assume they have some deals so that HTS cannot ship the items to buyers even though they might have them in stock already...)

14. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

Someone please ask them this, several someones would be even better. They've got a little egg on their face over listening to the retailers and they should know it by now. Movie schmovie, its time for the figures to hit retail already, jeez.

15. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

Hence me not being totally upset with Hasbro because thats pretty much how things work in the new Walmart world. It does suck though, and is bittersweet considering I haven't been this pumped for a series since G1 and to an extent Armada (I liked Armada, leave me alone).

I do blame Hasbro though for jumping on the ebayers when they had a hand in creating this monster in the first place.

16. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    But Hasbro can't just storm into Wal*Mart corporate and tell them to order X product. It's the manner of the beast. Hasbro was ready and willing to release Animated in January. That's why we saw protos (and some of us bought them) in December.

As far as exclusives go... Hasbro tries to market everything to everyone. When they have something that's not going to work on the mass market (MP Starscream for example) they try and sell it to an individual store so that it gets out to someone. The other side is when a store goes to Hasbro and pledges to order so many thousand units if Hasbro will just make them. An example of that is Target's Scout Exclusives I believe. Target wanted something at a lower price point, and the Scouts fit the bill.

For not finding an exclusive at your Wal*Mart, that's because it doesn't do enough buisness in the toy department. Of the 3 Wal*Marts local, only one of them does enough toy buisness to have Bentonville (Wal*Mart corporate) decide to send the exclusives to them. It sucks, but it's how Wal*Mart has made it's money.

Like Jarodimus said, we don't know how their system works, nor do we know just how much was really Transformers, and not My Little Pony.

Well, it comes from Hasbro's better relationship with FunPub. FP gets official recognition on the packing for Pete's sake. That closer relationship means that Hasbro is more open to do things for BotCon than they were in the 3H days. Though really the only time that it's really been that BotCon attendees got royal treatment was last year, and that was just because of the circumstances of location and timing with the movie. This year, it's not going to be anything as amazing as last year I'm afraid.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's your last sentance. Hasbro's probably been railing at the retailers to pick up Animated and let the Movie line die. As much as Hasbro likes re-using molds, they're likely into the 4th or 5th wave of development without any money in on the first ones. When Hasbro can point at numbers and say "Look, it sold out like a mo-fo. What are you doing asking for more of a line that's just keeping the pegs warm?" the retailers are going to sit up and pay attention. Even though they'll likely know that BotCon was in town, at the same time they'll have numbers pre-BotCon too.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Call me crazy (and I really wont mind), but for an alternative THEORY as to why Hasbro is delaying the release of Animated toys, does anyone else think that quite possibly...

Hasbro is intentionally delaying the toys so that come release day, we see more than just the first wave of figures on shelves, and find figures like Voyager Optimus Prime, Grimlock, Deluxe Blackarachnia, & Ratchet mixed in with the wave 1 bunch?

Kind of like a "Hey let's intentionally wait so that there is more product to choose from come release day" type of thing? And also as a way to please the fans for waiting so long?

Just my :2c: 

They're being released in June right? And July is supposed to be when the line really hits big with the Leaders and such right?

18. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:

That's really what a release date is for. When the Movie Line was released, all the stores were full up on that day.

Plus if it's taking 6 months from when Hasbro originally announced that they would be in stores to get the stock levels up then there's other major issues in the pipeline.

19. shortround

shortround Banned

some 1 tell me y the 22 y not the 7 of june y on a sunday

20. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Um, what?

My translation may be off but are you saying:

"Could someone please explain to me why Hasbro has chosen the release date of June 22nd rather than June 7th and why are they looking to release on a Sunday?"

Let me be the first of many English instructors to explain to you that the letter 'y' does not equal the word 'why' and that 'some 1' is not an acceptable replacement for the word 'someone'. As an American of your age you should already understand these simple grammatical rules. Also, it is also not nice to order friendly board members around with such a demand. One should state such as a kind request.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008