Hasbro mixing classes in box sets

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I was looking at the Bumblebee vs Grindor set and wondering something.

When Hasbro puts a legends class figure with something larger, should I take that to mean that as far as they're concerned class size is irrelevant to play value? Like, when they make a set like that, they fully expect a kid or kids to play out some battle between Bumblebee and a tiny Decepticon, right?

it's kind of fascinating to me because it implies that children have a level of imagination that is far out of our capability now. It's fair to say most of us would go insane at the idea of such extreme size descrepencies. Hell, many of us go out of our way to get scale as close as possible.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I do remember not caring that Sixshot was relatively gigantic and Monstructor being pretty small for a combiner. It only mattered how fun they were to play with. Going back to that mindset would save me a lot of money.

2. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    While I agree with you to some extent, I think we also cared less about the size discrepancies because there weren't other options. It was either get sixshot or don't, get monstructor or don't. Size was something you factored in to whether or not you liked the toy. I definitely recall even as a child pooh poohing blaster because his toy was so ridiculously huge and as a result, I've never had much fondness for the character. It was relatively rare to see a character get released with a new mold in the G1 days. How big the toy was was just however big it had to be. There was no concept of "Wait and maybe it'll be rereleased with a new mold" or "the japanese deco looks nicer." You got what you got.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Further proof scale means shit in the world of Transformers.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    The eternal truth.

5. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    C'mon, a deluxe Bumblebee and a legends Grindor IS scale accurate in Alt modes.
    I mean, imagine you sitting in Bumblebee and you see Grindor flying past in the sky above you....

6. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    There's also this:

[​IMG]

So many kids will now grow up thinking that helicopters are the same size as motorcycles.

7. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

The best one was the one with Fearswoop and 2 legend sized Autobots. Though the bio stated that Fearswoop had some power up that made him grow larger... Almost there Hasbro.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's more this. Often times, Hasbro is simply looking for a way to get something out at retail stores. Packing figures together like this is simply one way.

As far as "scale", it seems pretty obvious (like you said in your post here) that it's not the main issue for Hasbro. I'd think things like overall design, interactivity, cost, etc. are bigger issues for Hasbro. However . . . .

The world of Alternators would at least disagree here.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Agreed, but then again alternators was cars only. Even in other lines, car-bots tend to be deluxe and -mostly- in scale with each other. It's when you add planes, trucks and tanks when everything goes to hell.

10. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Human Alliance disagrees, too. They open up a whole new range of options for scale, often fitting in well with leader class figures and smaller figures of relative scale, like the bikes.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yep, true dat.

This is true, but HA is only a relative scale. Even the first bots are relatively 1:28ish or something. Now we have the HA basics to throw into the mix, which botch that up even more. I feel like leader Ironhide brings it all full circle, as he fits in with the HA, but not officially.

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Technically Human Alliance Basics are completely mad scale but few seems that bothered it seems. and you can choose to use them with your deluxes or with your larger Human Alliance toys without anyone noticing one way or the other a lot of the time i'd guess.

Cyberverse shows some attempt at scale though.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Alternators were really a way to get in the licensed scale model segment right? Like how RPMs compete with Hot Wheels. I imagine Human Alliance is the same idea as Alts, but with the added test run of human action figures.

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I loved the absurdity of that. It's like, guys, jets really are THAT MUCH BIGGER than cars. No magical enlargement necessary! Just because Classics Sunstreaker stands taller than Classics Starscream doesn't mean you have to ALWAYS willfully ignore the car-to-jet scale issue.

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My kids don't let Legends class figures into play much unless we have no alternative. TFTM Blackout is still popular in my house despite we have Cyberverse Blackout, which is a better toy. When the kids play with Legends they normally just play with those and minicons.

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Unless you put WST Blaster or Soundwave inside an Alternator. Then it seems to scale-up nicely. :) 
    I think somebody had a sig-pic of that on here.