Hasbro is ripping me off, you judge

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mr.Sci-Fi, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    Hasbro copied my design/piant job, you judge

offending item

My creation 2 years ago

custom ark view 1

custom ark view 2

custom ark view 3
    fixed

2/3 of that ship are exactly like my custom, same paint job and sticker facing/placement. Habro has most definitely taken my custom painted starbird ship and used it as the designfor the rear of their new ark. All they did was cut off the cockpit of my custom and replaced it with a cockpit that resembles the g1 ark.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    your websites aren't working for me. are you sure those are the right links?

3. Mr.Sci-Fi

News Credits:
    Links fixed , I accidently switched the name and the url at first.

4. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

well, theirs is tiny - 3 inches?

5. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    LOL, Um, No they are not. Yours is just a repainted StarBird toy. Besides, Can Hasbro rip off a custom toy of a property they rightfully own?
    Side Note: Neat idea painting that as an ark. Looks really good.

Wow, looking at it a 2nd time they did just use the Starbird mold themselves. Maybe they did.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    While there are superficial similarities, and maybe Hasbro did see your custom and it somehow inspired them, they are the ones who hold the rights. It's their IP, plus as stated, they even own the rights to the original ship.
    I myself would not feel ripped off, I'd be honoured. Even unrecognised, I'd love it if someone from Hasbro took one of my fan concepts and made use of it.

8. Mr.Sci-Fi

News Credits:
    They did copy my idea for it, even if they have the rights to both properties to do so. Someone at hasbro saw my design and decided to use it in this toy, there's no fighting that my custom's layout was used to make it. Even the black around the dome and end of engine is there.

It's most definitely not a reworked starbird mold, it is most definitely a new mold sculpted for diecast. The finer details of the star bird are not present and the size is alot smaller than a starbird toy.

I am happy they did like it so much as to copy it. I'm not pissed about it but it would be cool if I could get some recognition even if it was just an email from the guy who got inspired to create this toy after seeing my custom.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Here, and I thought they based it off the shuttle from the movie....

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    prove they "ripped off" your idea for it. Prove someone at hasbro ever saw your design. there's plenty of fighting that the custom's layout was used to make it.

by this same logic, you "ripped off" hasbro by repainting a ship they own the rights to, into yet another ship they own the rights to.

this is stupid.

if hasbro saw your custom, and modeled this thing on it, thats fine. they can do that. just like you saw the ark, or the ship from the movie or whatever, and decided to paint the starbird like it.

11. Mr.Sci-Fi

News Credits:
    I'm not saying I had any legal rights to anything or would even try to pursue such. I just saw that they copied my idea of using a starbird toy for an autobot shuttle or atleast part of one. It's not stupid to say that I provided an influence for this titanium toy.

My use if the words "ripped off" in the title was not ment to be deogratory towards hasbro it was used to pull potential thread readers in, "hasbro copied my work" just doesn't sound quite as dramatic.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Looks like the movie shuttle... when was the movie done? When was the starbird out? Maybe the starbird was made after the movie hence... o_O 

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "ripped off" is nothing but derogatory.

maybe "hasbro liked my idea" would have been a better title. as is, the way you set up the first post makes it seem like you're mad at hasbro, and they were in the wrong for doing this.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Hasbro are always doing that. A few years ago I came up with an idea for a big red truck toy that unfolded into a robot and a couple of months later I saw it in a shops.

15. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Wow they do look the same in alot of ways

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Right, but Mr. Sci-Fi has now explicitly stated that he didn't imply a derogatory tone...

I...Ah jeez. Forget it. I'm splitting a hair 400 times. Valkysas, I hate you and we should fight with knives. Don't do this: :horse:  There, it's easier to say it that way. :thumb 

Mr. Sci-Fi, the best thing you can do at this point is shrug and go, "Eh, so I gave them inspiration." If nothing else, it's nice to know that Hasbro is paying attention to the customs and kitbashes that show up in the transfandom occasionally.

I'd be honored if Hasbro ever copied an original idea I had. However, I think there's a joke in here, something about how Hasbro needs to drain other people's talent and creativity to dream up a potentially marketable product... :D 

17. Mr.Sci-Fi

News Credits:
    1978-1981 was the run for the starbird toyline, four toys were made in that line, starbird, starbird command base, starbird intruder and the starbird avenger. Some people say the starbird design was a ripoff of the ywing (cockpit/long neck) but the rear of the ships are totally different. The movie shuttles are pretty close to a starbird's design (both even have cockpit/heads that seperate) and I have always wondered if the movie's creators had been influced by the starbird toys, most definitley not in the reverse.

18. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If someone at Hasbro did see your custom, and that is what they based the titanium autobot shuttle on, then I would take it as a compliment from Hasbro if I were in your position. If that were the case, though, a little nod from Hasbro to you would have been the nice thing to do, but even if they didn't oh well.

If someone at Hasbro did see your custom, and that is what they based the titanium autobot shuttle on, then I give you my thanks and gratitude. I always wanted some small version of either the autobot ark or the decepticon nemisis. If this titanium shuttle sells well, then perhaps Hasbro well make the ark and nemisis. And if not, then at least I'll have that starbird lookin' autobot shuttle, so again I say thanks.

19. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Back in 1938 I had the idea of a guy dressed as a flying rodent fighting crime, a year later a young upstart named Bob Kane came out with Batman. The rest is history.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Coincidence likely. Both are based off of the same Autobot Shuttle.