Hasbro is not mad: My take on Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Joalro, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Firstly, I guess I should say that anything is possible; however, isn't this theories strongest asset also its strongest weakness? In one story, War For Cybertron, Dark Energon is an unstable form of synthesized Energon, a power which the past leaders ordered locked away because of its corruptive, corrosive ability. And in Transformers: Prime Dark Energon is the blood of Unicron. The writers would have to do some serious retconning to make these two versions of Dark Energon one and the same.

In WFC Megatron used Dark Energon to control the living, his entire plan was to bend Cybertron to his will with Dark Energon and his own power coursing through the planet. In Transformers: Prime, Megatron used Dark Energon to raise Cybertron’s dead, another inconsistency in the properties of Dark Energon, and that’s not the only one either. Autobots and Decepticons were around the stuff all the time and there were no ill effects on their senses—Autobots often had to either blast it with ranged weapons or shatter it with swords or axes to advance to the next location. Should an Autobot get a little bit on him/her in Transformers Prime and he/she starts to feel a little nauseous.

Every Cybertronian didn’t come into contact with Dark Energon in WFC, yet they all know that it was Dark Energon that f’ed their home world up. I don’t see how they would (or could) forget such a thing. Dark Energon in Transformers: Prime is approached like an unknown, save for being referred to as the stuff of legend and Unicron’s blood.

Seeing that it was Starscreams job to guard the stuff, how on earth would he know so little about it in Transformers: Prime, assuming WFC and TP are supposed to be the same storyline, and what about Megatron? Why doesn’t he already know what it does, considering he had already used it once before?

There are also the obvious cosmetic issues that have been brought up already, but none more problematic than Megatron himself. He retains his Cybertronian mode, which is heavily influenced by the live-action movies in TP, which is inconsistent with his WFC tank alternate mode and body. Bumblebee goes from being a short guy to a big guy as well.

Optimus Prime isn’t even the same Optimus Prime either. I’m unfamiliar with Transformers comics, but members here tell me that Optimus role as a data analyst is straight out of the comic books. While playing through WFC, Optimus was a fountain of information, explaining everything Cybertronian to his brethren and player. The Optimus we’re seeing now has more in common with G1 toon prime—he’s all warrior.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    To me, WFC is to Prime as the G1 Marvel comics are to the G1 Sunbow cartoon.

3. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Pretty much. Except, Prime is better then the G1 cartoon. ;) 

4. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Its been stated at Botcon 2011 that the reasoning for the different aspects of Dark Energon from WFC/Exodus and Prime was how the material changed overtime between the past and present Prime; that "A lot has happened inbetween." We still don't know what exactly happened but we might in the future. Of course it could all just be a cop-out, but we still got some explanation.

Also, let's not forget that the writers are allowed some contradictions if it serves for better storytelling. Better writing is above maintaining continuity.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Good writing maintains continuity.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mantaining continuity isn't suddenly telling a team that they need to change everything they did because of a completely different project though.

Let WFC dudes do their thing, let Prime dudes do their thing, let Exodus dude do his thing, ignore Hasbro they're high.

7. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the need to make these universe's join together perfectly; I always assumed that WFC was just a guidline to the great war for all of the Transformers universe's.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what you’re saying is that the Dark Energon in War For Cybertron, which is in the past, that was manufactured ON CYBERTRON mind you became Unicron’s blood at some point in the future:sly: 

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhht:lol 
    What explanation? Dark Energon is either something Cybertronians can manufacture (Starscream made Megatron enough to take of the whole of Cybertron) like in WFC or its Unicron’s blood, which is also the hardest sh1t in the Universe to find like in Transformers: Prime—Megatron spent three years in space looking for it despite the fact that Cybertron had tons of it in the past.
    There’s also a huge in regards the reason Cybertronians left Cybertron: in WFC, Megatron wrecked the planet and Cybertron needed to shut down for millions of years in order to purge itself of Dark Energon so that it can reboot, leaving Cybertron intact like it was seen in G1 cartoons/comics.
    In Transformers: Prime, flash backs have shown us that the world is in tatters and has nothing but death down below. All-out war and not an ounce of food on the planet drove the living off world.

When you get down to it, Dark Energon is a major contradiction.

1,000% this!

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like the way your thinking Joalro.

I think that is exactly what they (Hasbro) were going for.

10. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:

That's REALLY rare. With all the 'Is Arcee hot' and 'I hate Miko!!!111!!one!!'

I also don't see how Hasbro could even THINK that they can link WFC and Prime. In WFC, Megatron didn't seem to know much about DA. Then in Prime, Megs is all like "YESSS!! The blood of Unicron! Dark Energon! It can revive the dead!"

Try linking that, Hasbro.

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    WFC IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE PRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS AGAIN I MIGHT JUST PUNCH A WALL IN!!!!!!! TRANSFORMERS EXODUS AND OTHER BOOKS IN ITS SERIES ARE WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE PRIME!!!!!!!!!!!! WFC IS JUST THE BASIS FOR THE STORYLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By primus!!!!!!!!!

12. megapork

megapork Cheese

Very interesting thought.................................... but i need to :poop 

Will come back later to comment. This is definitely one of few worthwhile threads around the Tf prime forums and definitely better than the last 3 tfprime23 threads.

The point of this thread is to speculate the possibility of alternate universes/continuities connecting. The Man is not insinuating that prime and WFC is the same continuity but he is saying that prime could fit as a alternate timeline that broke off from WFC at an early point.

13. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    So the idea. Is that Orci and kurtzman will pull a star trek. Causing the War for cybertron video game events and the prime series to happen without conflicting scenario with everyone including all versions of characters like prime and Megatron to have similar events, in different universes.

Though. I kind of think our general approach to the brand anyway in north America is to treat things like G1, and the live action movies as seperate universe's anyway, that could be reached probably by Unicron's ability to shift between the multiverse. (abducting galvatrons from other universes is one of his old hobbies)

Unicron is in Prime. He could be the link to let us see the war for cybertron universe in Prime. Though I think there are better uses of the show's time given the rich world building we already have.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prove it. WFC’s Prime has more in common with Exodus’ Prime, as they were both data analysts. Dark Energon in Prime isn’t even the same thing Exodus—it’s actually more similar to WFC.

And how exactly does one propose they’re going to do this?

I don’t see this happening, as the characters are that appear in either continuity are too different from one another. Volcan’s destruction did not change young Spock or Kirk they were the same people before and after its destruction. The differences between old Spock and young Spock are memories and experiences, aside from that they are the same being. Which brings me to my questions: How do you explain Dark Energon changing from synthetic Energon to becoming Unicron’s blood? How do you explain characters that have undergone significant physical and psychological changes—Prime being one of them?

15. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couple month old necro thread. We know they are separate continuities.

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Completely wrong! The designs of the characters when shown in flash back on Cybertron are completely different designs from how they look in War for Cybertron. We've seen Megatron, Arcee, and Cliffjumper who appeared in similar if not the same forms as they have on Earth while the designs of these three characters in War for Cybertron are completely different.

Megatron's can be easily explained away as he goes from one Cybertronian vehicle to another but the same can not be said of the other two. Arcee's War for Cybertron design is very similar to her G1 design and she couldn't have been reformatted to her Prime design before leaving Cybertron. Cliffjumper and Bumblebee both share the same mold in War for Cybertron both mirroring their G1 selves. Prime versions of them are two entirely separate designs that look and act nothing like G1 and were shown to already be that way before coming to Earth.

Besides the existence of Dark Energon and the planet being dead (Which Cybertron is also dead in the Bayverse) there are absolutely no connections what so ever between Prime and WFC.

17. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think it's that easy. Going from tank to jet is a big leap. Why couldn't other transformers make big changes in modes like this (eg Cliffjumper and Bumblebee to name a few)? Whap about Megatron's lack of color and body design? What happen to his red and black parts which were paying homage to his G1 self; why are they gone in Prime?

If you're willing to dismiss Megatron so easily, the same must apply to all other characters too:/

18. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

All this talk of universal streams and continuity families is just making me realize that I'd die happy if there was a TFP episode dealing with Axiom Nexus. :drool: 

19. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off: I consider Prime and WFC related in the same way as G1 comic and cartoon; same continuity family, but different universes within said family.
    Now that that's out of the way, on to the fanon that could connect them.

Here's a crazy thought; what if Dark Energon refers to two different things?
    WFCDE: Corrupted Energon, could enhance Transformers and give some powers. Named after the mythical Blood of Unicron
    PrimeDE/Blood of Unicron: The real stuff, grants necromantic powers, enhanced performance and visions of Unicron. Unheard of until Megatron found some during his three-year disappearance.

Reasons for the war: Wars can be fought for multiple reasons, and just because Prime says energy was the reason for the war doesn't mean it's the only reason.

BB's voice, war on other planets, and different appearances: Alot can happen in a few thousand years; even more so millions. I mean seriously, how are the first two inconsistencies in any way?

20. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why haven't this discussion ended after this? Alternate timeline, check, no reason to argue about it then, because it doesn't mean anything for the events of the game/book/tv series.