Hasbro is not mad: My take on Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Joalro, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So basically Dark Energon is the new Unicron singularity the becomes a super convenient fallback that covers every plot inconsistency because of its potentially limitless and mysterious properties?

Actually, scratch that. Dark Energon is the essence of Unicron which means it actually is the the Unicron singularity. Prime is now part of the AEC universe and Megatron and the Constructicons create each other AT THE EXACT SAME TIME on both Earth and Cybertron! :O

Nothankyou.jpg

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    How about this:

I've had a similar line of thinking that does NOT draw the *exact* same conclusion as yourself. And then I summarized my take on things.

Can that be good enough?

If not, then perhaps it would do you better to tell people what you want them to say before they post. Maybe you won't get as... impatient... with additional comments.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

You're exactly right, there is no rational basis for the elementary concept of exposition. :rolleyes2 

4. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Heh... poor and contradictory exposition.

5. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Ya know... there is 1 other explanation:

(and I say this is all seriousness)

Perhaps the minds at HASBRO actually think that if 2 elements mutter the phrase "Dark Energon", then that alone is enough to make them the same continuity.

I can't believe that they would be that simple, tho.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The contradictions only exist for people who are trigger happy when reacting to dialogue.

7. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

I see, I see. I get the gist of it now.

Here's the thing.
    For me, personally, I would never try and lump those things together in the first place. I would consider the TV Show it's own Continuity, and the Comic Books a completely separate continuity.
    They share the same titles/characters/setting, but I can still clearly separate them as two separate things.

Putting WFC and Prime together and calling it a Continuity Family... they must be distant continuity relatives indeed.

8. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

I would just like to point out that Beast Wars was not intended to be a continuation of G1, it was a new TF show to sell new toys. Bob Forward and Larry Ditillio decided to put two moons over the planet to say that it could or could not be earth. IF it would be earth, they would blow it up later on. Well by the time season 2 started, they had decided that they were going to go with the G1 continuity and the referencing to the "Great War" in episode 1+2 was not in reference to G1, it was just something that Bob Forward thought up, then later on it all worked because they wanted to stick it in with the G1 continuity. The reason I know all this is because I have the Madman Beast Wars dvds with rich commentaries on most of the episodes. I am a huge BW fan.

9. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

When I say "Blow it up" i'm talking about one of the moons. =)

10. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Yes and no. I'd say the Unicron singularity posed a much more sloppy combining of the three series, and requires fan extrapolation and stretching of imagination to actually combine the three.

I'm looking for an elegant solution from the little knowledge we already have. If my are not happy with my explanation, what is your take on Dark Energon? Personally, I don't really understand the relation between Dark Energon and regular Energon. All I had to do was create a relationship between these two entities, and all the pieces from the two series fall into place.

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I was using it as an example. The point was people should let the show play out before they decide it's out of continuity.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

WFC2 is going to be quite the hinge point.

13. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Alright. To summarize the first post:

What I would like this topic to be is more an exploration as the possibilities that are consistent with both Prime and WFC from knowledge given to us from both of these Medium.

Despite the debate as to whether these can be joined or not, let us make a few assumptions.

First, let's assume that Hasbro is saying it is the same continuity because they have more information than we do.

Secondly, let's assume that if they are going to be the same continuity, that it would be better that it was intended to be the same from the beginning, than for them to half-ass joining the two later on in the series.

I know lots of people have trouble with these premises. Let's not attack premise one, since saying "Hasbro is just dumb" or "They just want to sell toys" really isn't going to develop the mythos of the stories.

If you really do not think these two stories can be joined together, please give some details, instead of being really vague. Or if you feel that the only way of joining them is a superficial method, also give some details FROM THE PLOT OF WFC AND PRIME.

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Unless it turns out to be a prequel to the first game and then the fierce debating soldiers on.

15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having everyone get a case of epidemic amnesia from the single most powerful element that the factions have fought with and against that caused the death of their planet and is the sole reason why they are on earth in the first place is a little far fetched even for a series about transforming robots.

My take is that it's a continuity family. High Moon came up with a cliche power trope and added it into the brand with their game. Hasbro sees and likes, does it's own thing, and now you have Prime. No matter how you slice it, without a hardcore retcon the series isn't going to match up. They work as Continuity families. And even then it's debatable since WFC is blatantly trying to be geewun, while Prime has more roots in movie/animated.

16. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

There is no hardcore retcon needed, that's just ridiculous.

17. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I would like it if they were 2 seperate continuities because it would allow wfc and prime more freedom to go in the directions more suited for them. I feel like those involved with creating both series were intending these to be independent. I rather they just let prime play out the way its going and not wfc2 as some kind of tie in. I feel like combining these two universe takes something away from each.

For me there just seems to be too many differences. The character don't only look really different but they don't really come of as the same characters in my opinion. Bumblebee is probably the clearest example. The only character that i feel is similar in both is optimus. But even still there is a differrence in the way he talks in prime and the way he talks in wfc. And then theres the differences in the origin of the war and the existence of dark energon differeces as well.

But to each their own. If you feel like these should be in the same continuity and don't feel there are many inconsistencies then thats completely fine and more power to you. I don't intend to change any opinions, I'm just stating mine. I would just rather these continutues be seperate.

18. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Wollstone, the lone Hasbro samurai.

You got my respect for, right or wrong stickin to your guns, even when out-numbered and fighting for things few will ever connect with.

A worthy adversary in debate *bow*

But I still want to know one thing!!
    what could this whole mess gain Hasbro financially? how will this make toys sell better?.. I just don't understand and no one seems to know.:confused: 

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I'm not really defending Hasbro, this is just a common thing amongst comic book fans. They complain about inconsistant continuity all the time when a new story comes out, and most of the time they just end up looking stupid once the story has played out and those inconsistencies had explanations that were there and going to be there all along.

20. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

But but what about the money!!! how does this help them sell toys??
    I don't get it.. isn't that what the whole gig is about selling toys?