Hasbro influence on the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kaymac, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I feel that if Hasbro had more control over these movies, we wouldn't have gotten things like Skids and Mudflap in ROTF, or the dogs humping, or the Devastator balls or John Turturro's ass, etc.

I know if I was in charge of the Transformers brand, even if I had complete faith in the production staff, I would demand to see the script and read it cover to cover. If I don't like what I see, it gets rewritten. If they refuse, I say that I will find another group of people to do it. A wise man once said "Screw the money, I have rules."

Morals and keeping the brand as respected as possible come first. TF1 was a legitimately well received movie, but when you see Bumblebee essentially urinate on a man, you know something is wrong. Something is up with this movie and it doesn't bode well.

Now what I'm asking is, should Hasbro pull a tighter leash around these production companies? When someone is playing around with your license and your brand, it becomes your business to make sure they stay inside your guidelines, and keep your brand as respected as possible.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    No.

Hasbro had plenty of control over the movies.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There is zero reason to imagine the movies would have been any more popular or made more money if Hasbro had more input. No matter what the hardcore TF fans want/don't want, judging purely by box office support, Bay seems to have a pretty good finger on the pulse of what the general public wants to see.

And "morals and keeping the brand as respected as possible" are not job one. Making money is job one. They are a publicly traded company not an artists colony.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, they most definitely should. Unfortunately, they won't, on account of Bay making them mad bank.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The only problems are that:

1. Transformers are more respected now that they have 3 major live-action motion pictures under their belt than they were before the movies were made.

and

2. Longtime fans seem to believe Hasbro has some sort of responsibility towards them, to cater to them and keep them happy. The people Hasbro actually DOES have a responsibility towards are Hasbro's shareholders.

6. Kaymac

Exactly. The chance was there in the beginning, but now that these movies make so much dough, it doesn't matter. Hasbro doesn't care if their next movie has Arcee doing a striptease or something as long as it makes money.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This. Hasbro's been working with Bay on the film since day 1 so they know what they were doing at the time and they still do. It's what helped them get their own studio which is the Hub.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    So should they have tried to be less successful and less popular back when they began? Is that what you're saying? Should they have tailor-made movies to please YOU and our small TF fanbase rather than the general public?

9. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Absolutely. We lose respect for the franchise when we see this sort of thing happen.

10. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    This. It pisses me off and makes everyone look childish when they whine about how "HASBRO SUCKS THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS THIS AND THIS AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST MOVIE EVER" and think that Hasbro caters to them, be it in which characters get toys or not, how movies are made, anything.

Hasbro caters to the fans enough and as much as they can, only because they want to. They never had to in the first place. This stupid sense of entitlement is..stupid.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Actually that bolded part, along with their primary goal of selling toys to children, would actually make a certain level of respectability a high priority because make to big a misstep and you run afoul of a group of people far worse than us: irrational parents.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    On one hand I do wonder what might've been different if Hasbro had pulled the movie production up on certain elements, but on the other hand I'm assuming Hasbro signed off on a lot of things and so were happy with them going ahead. For all we know there were things that were going to happen and Hasbro did step in and say 'No'. and those things got left out of the movies because of it. But because they didn't happen we didn't see them and so we don't know about them to be able to acknowledge them.

Anyways, the less control Hasbro seems to have the more we can blame Bay and co for stuff. Besides, Hasbro have their hands full with making seemingly poor choices in other areas of their business. :p 

In terms of the movies giving the Transformers brand more respect, I dunno. At best they're just seen as big mindless CGI-fest Summer movies. I'm sure the money's nice, but I can't imagine they're respected much beyond that. After the movie-made money has been spent what worthwhile respect will be left over?

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro likely had almost total control in terms of a final veto on concepts and characters and story and such, but in many cases it would appear they chose not to exercise it. Whether that's because they didn't feel it necessary, didn't want to get in the way of professional (and successful) moviemakers, because they liked the concepts, or some combination thereof, is the real question I guess.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm just not sure that respect is really the word to use. In some circles Transformers is seen as a joke and there are people outside of the fandom that make as much fun about movie fans as they do the people who buy Snuggies or neon colored plastic clogs.

At least a temporary boost in general popularity I'd agree on. But general popularity should never be confused with quality since Jersey Shore is rather popular as well so that puts Transformers in the same realm as Snookie.

It also seems that the popularity is rather fad like. Retailers got stuck with a lot of Revenge of the Fallen stock because people stopped buying the toys not long after the film. Dark of the Moon had to shift waves to other markets after the big US retailers didn't think they could move enough movie related products. If retailers can't move the toys then maybe people just flocked to the Transformers films because that what people do every summer and then forget about the old films in favor of whatever next year's big summer movies are.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, take a look at Marvel. For a long time, they had simply licensed out their comic book properties to production companies who made movies out of them. The results were rather hit and miss, in terms of critical reception, respect for the source material and financial success.

Then Marvel decided that just making money via licensing fees wasn't a long-term solution, so they turned Marvel Studios from a mere licensor into a fully-fledged production company, made a huge credit deal and used the money to fund a bunch of movies based on properties they had managed to regain the rights to. The result is what's now known as the "Marvel Cinematic Universe", comprised (thus far) of Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers.

For Marvel, the long-term goal is both a bigger slice of the pie (due to owning the production company) and a larger creative control of the final movies, thereby ensuring that they are more faithful to the source material than, say, Daredevil.

Ultimately, it boils down to how much money Hasbro are already making under the current deal, how much they think they can make by employing a concept similar to Marvel and whether they are willing to take the risk.

16. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    Yugi-Oh Abridged reference, or actual quote?

17. Kaymac

I'm just saying if Hasbro had maybe read through the script, watched ROTF, etc. before it was released it might not have been an intelligence insulting pile of crap.

A lot of the general public hates the movie as well. It's not just fans and critics. I have friends that realize the movie was an incoherent mess.

18. Kaymac

Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged. XD

Exactly. It seems every single movie related product released on toy shelves shelfwarms for a LONG time. I think Hasbro should only make movie related toys as long as the film is in theatres and then maybe some secondary waves once it's out on DVD, not clog the shelves with the stuff. Everyone knows movie related toys are pushed by the movie, and when there is no movie to watch? No push.

19. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

You're absolutely right. That kind of fandom entitlement is way too common across geekdom in general, not just Transformers.

You're also right about Hasbro being obligated to their shareholders: those shareholders trusted Hasbro with their money, so Hasbro would be morally negligent not to try and make as much money as possible, to give the shareholders that trusted them a return on that investment. It's not just about money, it's about trust and debt.

20. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It really does make you wonder if Hasbro missed those parts of the script or willingly let them be included. I can see them having no qualms about The Twins (""Two short, stubbly kid-appeal characters who speak hip-hop and squabble with each other and then end up redeeming themselves in a big battle"? The kids will eat that s**t up and we'll sell so many toys!"), but Devastator's balls? "Cut to close-up of Agent Simmon's thong-clad buttocks"? "Wheelie proceeds to vigorously hump Mikaela's leg"? Did they just skim past those parts? Did they not mind those scenes? Or maybe Hasbro's just not privy to everything that the script might include?

A lot of the general public also liked RotF. And it's funny because I have friends who absolutely love RotF. :lol  And I'm like, "Seriously?" Heck, I've talked with others who say that RotF is their favourite of the trilogy and they're shocked when I tell them that it's a horribly made, poorly paced movie that was basically labelled as one of the worst movies of all time. They usually just shrug and say "Meh, I liked it."