HASBRO...I'm out!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AnAutobot1985, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    I prefer the way the figures are now than what they were before 2007. Not a knock against anything before 2007 movie lines, its just the way the figures are now suit the aesthetic of the modern lines

2. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

i love how people will bitch about how simple hasbro toys are to transform. then hate on mp megatron cuz he too complex. prime toys should be some what simple considering thier age target.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Except that modern lines shouldn't have those problems.

4. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    But i dont really see them as problems as much as being a part of the line

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uhhh... they're kids toys. Remember when we were kids and G1 had just a few steps to transform them, we didn't complain, we had fun with them.

6. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Yea the old stuff was way easier...do most of you memorize the newer toys transformations? I dread transforming any of my deluxes

7. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

Well said. I think a lot of people forget who Hasbro's main target audience is.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I memorize pretty much every toy's transformation the first time through. Don't need instructions for that first time, either.

9. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Yeah I don't think "simpler" is necessarily a bad thing. Although Prime Bumblebee was too simple IMO and paid the price in aesthetics. Hell, Cybertron, with only a couple exceptions, had transformations that were across the board simpler than the current Prime figures and were, for the most part, kick ass toys that were dead on accurate to the show. So I think it's just a matter of finding the sweet spot where kids, the target market, can have fun with them too.

My ROTF figures barely get touched by either my daughter or myself, in part because we don't like the aesthetic that much, but even more so that they're such a pain in the ass to transform. Don't expect everybody to feel the same but Hasbro's shift to less complexity at least suggests that we are not the only ones that feel this way. And I am absolutely not trying to white knight here, as their bungling of the Prime line has nearly driven me to collect nothing but CHUG MP and 3rd Party. It's just that I think complexity of transformation is e least of the problems with the recent rounds of figures.

10. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I can figure them out but just not as smooth as the guys on YouTube with their reviews lol

11. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Cybertron made the toys, and then the CGI models. You people know that, right?

12. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Yes and I wish they would still model animation from the toy designs. Have stated this on other threads but it alleviates the problem of inaccurate toys. I don't care if they are less "dynamic looking.". When I am not transforming or posing a figure they are standing at attention on their respective shelf anyway. Puts less strain on joints and conserves shelf space. And if "dynamic looking" means resembling Bayverse in any way I'll gladly pass.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't, but I do it on purpose sometimes. I enjoy figuring out the transformations on my own. I don't use instructions either. Mainly, I just want to make sure I know where the breakage/weak points are so there's no damage, but other than that, I enjoy the "challenge in the change".

14. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

I'll start solo, but will happily use the instructions if part of the transformation isn't obvious - god knows i'd have stressed enough sockets and hinges, snapped enough tabs and flat out broken enough transformers if i didn't!

I really like it when a TF makes me reach for the instructions actually. Ingenious transformations are one of my favourite parts of the toys.

Sure some are simple, or use familiar transformations, but they're the easy ones - If anybody opened ROTF prime and immediately transformed him perfectly first time without so much as glimpsing at instructions or youtube (memorising the whole transformation in the process) i'm calling you out as a fibber right here and now :D 

15. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

LOL @ the toys being MORE flimsy now than they used to be.
    Talking to a guy that has gone through 3 Generation 2 Slingshots, 4 Torcas and 2 Slogs.
    Not to mention how many roofs I have gone through on Generation 1 Prowl/Smokescreen/Bluestreak.
    Not to mention a couple of snapped off heads on scramble city combiners.

I'm about to move and I always get ready for inevitable breakage.

But...
    I'll take a rubbery smokestack on a new guy over a sparkly color on an old guy.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Half the time the instructions aren't worth the paper they are printed on any way. there's always (1) crucial step that the instructions gloss over, leaving to to figure out (sometimes painfully) yourself.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yep! I miss the days of the G1 instructions. Those were so much fun right out of the box.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That's cool since that's your personal preference. But to be honest and I'm sure this sounds like a very unpopular opinion but I like the fact that we now have more dynamic figures. Because as much as people are into the whole classics G1/Classics/Cybertron style thing it's actually nice that we're going into more different directions because let's face it sticking to just G1 style and going by toy first can get old fast too not to mention that most of the fandom back then may have wish for more different styles for a change. Now we have more options and preferences. So what if some toys resort to cheats? Just as long if it's done well and does the rest of what it needs to to right does that really matter?

I mean we can't just stick to just basing off animation models out of toys alone forevever. I mean nothing ventured nothing gained right? I mean figures like ROTF Optimus,RID Vehicon and the FE Voyagers are able to have great toys that are super accurate to the show/movies shows that we can make great figures out of the animation model first.