HASBRO...I'm out!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AnAutobot1985, Aug 22, 2012.

1. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Doubt Hasbro is going to read this, but my fellow TF fans can.

And sadly... I am D O N E with collecting the toys Hasbro is putting out for us. They keep going up in price and the quality to me is simply UNACCEPTABLE.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the designs on the Prime line figures. However, most are going to be sold and I will not be buying any more.

I moved recently, packed my figures away with the most care and bubble wrap any collector can give. The stupid, cheap, thin plastic on some of them (Soundwave's arms, Optimus' smoke stacks, etc) is just so goddam flimsy that having been wrapped in bubble wrap caused them to warp and bend. Now I cannot straighten them. I am just sick of the corner cutting to save some pennies. The paint apps suck now, and also seems to wear too easily nowadays. I am sticking with G1, 3RD PARTY, and maybe Hasbro can get some of my business with MPs. Deluxes though GTFO, I AM DONE!

It's too bad because I really do love the hobby. But I don't need the stress of my money going down the drain because they can't hold up anymore. Had to replace RTS Jazz once already because of the thin plastic snapping on me. Jesus....G1's have lasted over 20 years!! Whats the excuse that I got some that can't last a few months??

Hasbro ought to be ashamed for selling kids and collectors alike absolute garbage.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Maybe you should have packed them better? I have lots of figures with rubbery smokestacks and other parts, and I always take care to pack them so nothing can bend those, and none of them are bent as a result. and these things get packed tight into boxes (while individually bagged) because I'm running out of room. to this day, no issues on anything.

How long were they wrapped in bubble wrap? that's an insulator. if they were put in a box, especially one tightly packed, then yeah, the heat's going to cause warping.

You can straighten these parts. hot water does the trick nicely. let them heat up in the water, then put them in something to force them into their original shape. Like if its a flat part like soundwave's arms, dry it and stick it between two heavy books.

You may not have been as careful as you should have when storing these things, and that's not hasbro's fault.

I don't like the thinner plastic either, but when parts get bent, that's not hasbro's fault unless it's bent in package. those parts are designed to bend instead of break, after all. I'm glad they do that for things like Prime Soundwave's arms. Those would be scary if they were hard plastic.

3. AnAutobot1985

I packed them very well. Rolling a figure up in bubble wrap shouldn't cause issues. No excuse.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Actually, yes it should, because bubble wrap is an insulator. packed in a warm or hot place in bubble wrap for a decent amount of time, the toy will heat up, and that will often cause warping in softer parts,. especially if the bubble wrap is tight.

5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    your nerd rage is showing... :eek: 

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with Valkysas on this one. I traveled across country with several hundred (close to a thousand) transformers and not a single mishap or issue. I think you packed them wrong.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    He's complaining in particular about the Prime line, that being, newer TFs are of lousy quality vs old ones. Notice he mentions he has other TFs, he's just complaining about the Prime ones.

8. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

That sucks man

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    My TF: Prime toys are fine, OP, thanks for asking. :D 

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, but still, he's complaining about them getting bent. Those parts don't bend on their own, something has to be pushing on them.

11. AnAutobot1985

Whatever man you have your opinion I have mine.

Like the other dude just said I am only complaining about the new shit. Think what you want...its crap!

And if bubble wrap pushing on it had anything to do with it from perhaps wrapping too tight...it's BUBBLE WRAP!! A toy should be able to withstand that don't ya think?

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    dude, we get it. don't need to throw a tantrum about these things. Maybe if you treated your toys with more care?

13. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've to aggree there, with the Classics line, the first lines were great. Then the got crappier as time went on. Deluxe Prime is a good example of this compared to the orginal classics Prime he sucks and the gun they've given him does not suit the figure at all. To top if off then the latest line of Classics are all repaints.... Yeah Serve who has always being a mini bot should now be the same height as Kup/etc!!!....

The latest FOC line is another good example, the plastics feel cheap compared to the eariler classics lines and the eariler FOC line too.

Overall Hasbro seems to have cheapened the lines and put up the costs too. I hope they improve as I do like having offical toys in my collection.

14. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

Hasbro has been cutting corners since Armada, but lately it gets worse. The lack of paint detail is as always a big issue for me. yes TF's get more expensive, get smaller and quality goes down.

I did quit once, but got back in the milking-me-for-my-money game.

15. AnAutobot1985

I agree with you. I loved the beginning lines. Still got many of them.
    And yeah FOC seems to be the same case as the Prime line. I did buy Shockwave but he's gonna be it for me there.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. It's a cycle. I'd think it has to bounce back a little at some point. Can't go much further than it currently stands.

Quit once? LOL you make it sound like cigs or something. Guess you could always "Cut back" rather than "quit" altogether LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
  16. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

As someone who regularly ships things, mostly plastic items, out across the country... it was likely the bubble wrap. Regardless of the quality of plastic, you can end up wrapping it too tightly and, combined with, as has been said, the heat caused by insulation, it can warp plastic.

Which isn't hard to fix. You just need some hot water, and some ice water. Soak the warped plastic in the hot water, then after 30 seconds to a minute, remove it and bend the piece back into shape. Hold it under the ice water for, again, 30 seconds to a minute, and boom, good as new.

Unless they've been bent to the point of stress marks showing.

Also, in the future, consider the item being wrapped/packed. If it's a jet, you may want to pack it in robot mode to reduce stress on areas easy to warp/break, such as wings; something like a car, definitely pack in vehicle mode. In Prime Soundwave's case, definitely robot - just roll him up like sushi in the bubble wrap.

Mishaps in packing are a bummer, but easy to avoid and, sometimes, easy to fix.

17. AnAutobot1985

Wow. Thanks for the tips!!
    You've been a great help. :thumbs2: 

18. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, parts/accessories that warp when packed is just one of the OP's complaints, one of the few signs of the degradation of quality of newer Hasbro lines that he cites. Personally, I tend to agree with him.

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I'm just saying it's hardly just a 'Hasbro's decline in quality' issue. There's factors at play here that will warp any plastic (PVC, obviously. ABS is a bit tougher to warp)

No problem! Hope it all works out!

20. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

More power to you. I'm kinda in the same boat. Has/tak hadn't impressed me as of late. I'm pretty much gonna stick w FOC/ Mp and a select few chug(what ever it's called now). But 90% or my monies will go to 3rd party and macross, unless has/tak get their heads out their asses. So I feel ya bro. N if they don't want my money, I know 3rd party does... So hopefully enough of us feel the same and they get the message and start producing/ giving us what we want.