Hasbro G1 reissues with diecast or without?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SMOG, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Quick question...

I don't own any of the Hasbro or Takara G1 reissues of the Diaclone cars, or Insecticons and such... I had assumed that they are made with the same diecast content as the originals, but a friend of mine said he'd heard they were all plastic. I don't remember figures like Blaster or Perceptor having diecast to begin with, so I wouldn't expect them to now... and of course I've heard that the new Predaking has diecast... but what about the other stuff?

I could dig through a lot of online reviews and separate the real ones from the bootlegs or whatever, but I figured it would be faster just to ask here. What's the story on the diecast content of reissues?

zmog

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

For the most part the reissues have the same dicast parts as the originals.

I believe the few exceptions are with molds like the Predeicons, that even in the 80's, had a "more plastic" veraint.

3. SMOG

Yeah, I was surprised to learn only relatively recently that diecast versions existed for many of the Scramble City sets too. As a kid, I don't think I ever came across one.

zmog

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have most of the reissues and they are indeed made with diecast. Heck, Powermaster Optimus Prime had the added diecast that his Japanese version had, where the original American version was all plastic.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As was said, no less (or more) metal than the original versions (or more accurately, the corresponding Takara version of a given reissue.) The main differences between Hasbro and Takara versions of G1 reissues are safety-related, such as neutered/lengthened/de-chromed missiles and launchers, or Optimus Prime's well-known clipped smokestacks.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are all relatively close to their 80's counterparts. Differences

Hasbro
    - Missile firing spring removed
    - Missiles are black instead of chrome
    - Some missiles are lengthen (See Magnus)

Takara
    - Some figures have some extra added paint applications to make them look more anime accurate

This list is by no means complete, just some stuff off the top of my head.

For the most part, the only reissue that comes to mind missing Metal (that originally had some) would be Bruticus. However, I never owned the vintage Takara box set so i'm not sure those versions even came with metal on them. Same with Predaking, the reissue has Metal but i'm not sure the original Takara figures did.

7. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I don't own a lot of reissues, either, but since I'm a variant whore I'll still take a stab at answering this. :) 

As Chrisr291 said, the only reissues that I recall off the top of my head that have less metal than the original releases are Optimus Prime (sort of) and the Combaticons. I say "sort of" in the former case because both the original release as well as the Diaclone original had metal plates in the trailer which were later replaced by stickers. That original version of Prime (which also came with a gray Roller and missiles and bloated accessories) has never again seen the light of day, though all subsequent reissues kept the diecast metal chest and feet of the original. All the Combaticon had part diecast metal and all-plastic variants in the 80s, and the latter variants were selected for the questionable quality Encore reissue.

The only combiners that I know of that came in part diecast metal and all-plastic flavors were the Combaticons, three of the five Protectobots, and the Predacons. There were only a handful of Transformers that had part diecast metal and all-plastic variants back in the 80s that I know of. In most (but not all) cases, the diecast metal parts were either their chests or feet and, with the exception of the Combaticons, all the metal parts were restored during the reissues. Off the top of my head, the ones that come to mind where originally metal parts were later swapped for plastic ones are:

- Optimus Prime (plates on inner trailer walls)
    - Hot Spot (chest)
    - First Aid (chest)
    - Blades (chest)
    - Ultra Magnus (feet)
    - Hot Rod (feet)
    - Rodimus Prime (feet)
    - Sandstorm (feet)
    - Broadside (wings)
    - Springer (chest)
    - Onslaught (upper torso)
    - Swindle (chest)
    - Vortex (chest)
    - Blast Off (chest)
    - Brawl (rear tank treads)
    - Razorclaw (lower torso)
    - Divebomb (lower torso)
    - Headstrong (rear torso)
    - Rampage (lower torso)
    - Tantrum (front torso)

The combiner sets didn't have any major variations as far as I know, though the Terrorcons and the Technobots did exist in rubsign and non-rubsign versions.

8. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    the protectobot motorcycle guy...groove also had a metal die cast chest version....the one i owned was diecast...all all the other protectobots i managed to collect were the plastic versions :( 

9. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as I know, of the scramble city combiners, Menasor was the only one that didn't have any diecast parts that I recall. All my Aerialbots and protectobots had diecast chests.

10. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

You make me feel sad now. :( 

Actually, I left Groove off the list because he only ever came with a diecast metal chest, though he had a unique variant all his own: the original Groove had a shiny gold paint application over the diecast while later versions just had a shiny, polished metal chest. Streetwise was also a metal-only combiner limb, the metal in question just wasn't prominently displayed on the toy (much like Drag Strip, see below).

It's not much consolation, but you can take solace in the fact that you're 40% of the way to an all-metal Protectobot team already. :) 

Actually, Breakdown, Dead End, and Wildrider all had diecast metal chests if I remember correctly. The back part of Drag Strip's torso was also diecast (or at least metal).

At the risk of seeming like a show off, I actually own many of the combiner variants. I could post comparison pics if people are interested.

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    The Stunticons most certainly had diecast metal. I don't recall they're being a plastic version of them actually.

All of the TakaraTomy and Hasbro reissues have diecast where appropriate. In fact any of them that had a variant of diecast versus plastic (Predacons, Hot Rod, Rodimus Prime, etc) actually had the diecast version except for the Encore Bruticus set.

Randy

12. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

My Menasor does have the die-cast.nd so does reissue Predaking.

13. SMOG

Groove was my only Scramble City figure with metal (well, and Streetwise too, I guess, but it doesn't feel the same). When I discovered that metal ones existed, I felt pretty ripped off. :) 

So yeah. Has/Tak re-issues almost universally have the original metal content... or better. Got it.

Thanks guys! :) 

zmog