Hasbro & Fun Pub Going After Stolen Items

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, well, well...

I don't see much difference from a fan pov between this and scalpers. The end result is the same for us. Exorbitant prices for those of us who can't get there.

Sure, there's all the legal issues in between but from a fan point, they're not the ones you should be pursuing. Sure, they provide the demand but it's only really b/c they won't be grabbing it later at the con. They're more collateral than an active crime doer.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Does this mean all those that have bought them can be arrested for possession of stolen good?

You guys better remove those "Early Animated Toys Club" sigs. :lol 

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whoa... Go Brian.

5. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It must be a serious problem. Some people laugh now but what if a large portion of this years box set or loose set was stolen and Hasbro has to send out an email canceling those orders that have been confirmed?

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Applauds both Hasbro and FP. It's about damn time.

7. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure my Animated BB's made from salvaged parts anyway.

This is a bigger deal because the botcon toys are LIMITED and being sold mostly in bags as they would have been in the what, 400, loose sets?

8. optimusjay

optimusjay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    technically if hasbro wants they can prosecute those who have bought the stolen items. it is a felony known as receiving stolen property. even if you do not know they are stolen. if you buy or are given stolen property it is a felony punishable with up to 3 years in prison and a 10,000 dollar fine

9. zuffyprime

zuffyprime It's not easy being green

I agree with Joe

about damn time =)

10. 'nok

'nok undead space monkey

The sad thing is WE are to blame, we the fans cause the demand,the thieves steal the product to fill the demand. I do my part, I just wait till the product comes out at retail or convention. yeah they might get pricey, but it will be cheaper for us since there will be more sets available if they are not stolen. These scum are worse than scalpers, and those fans that buy from them just make the problem worse.

11. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    We knew Brian and co. were going after them based on Pete's comments in the last Botcon eBay thread. Glad to see they're following through, as I would be pissed if my set was screwed up because of thieves at the factory.

They are receiving stolen property and are aware that it is stolen. That is a criminal offense and the offenders can be prosecuted for it. One hell of a big difference between that and buying an officially released figure from someone (overpriced or not). Unfortunately, you can't prosecute a scalper for obeying the laws of capitalism.

12. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad to see this too...though I'm puzzled at why action hasn't been taken before now?

13. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
  14. Chaosbringer

Chaosbringer Casseticon Master

Good news indeed, the down side is that we wont see some of the toys in prototype stage and wont be able to give some feedback about them.

15. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Well I think Hasbro's gotta take a closer look to their factory security first. I've got all the Animated toys now, and I'm not planning to ship them back to Hasbro. And I certainly don't see you can blame us for that.
    I think there were thousands of Animated toys over the couple of months on eBay. If these were all stolen you need to take another security company.

16. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Way to go Brian, FP and Hasbro. Now I'm guessing that most of the stolen merchandise occured in China at the factory. How co-operative do we think the Chinese police are going to be with pursuing this? I think the eBay cancellation is doable but beyond that, not sure what more then can expect to be done.

17. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    No disrespect to anyone who has pre-release Animated or Botcon toys already, but this is the right decision by FunPub and Hasbro.

I doubt Hasbro would be interested in persuing fans for the stolen items, hopefully their efforts will be directed to the factories and the ebay sellers.

18. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I can't help but wonder- why this set?

Why do they choose now to take such actions, and also why are people so interested in these figures that they'd buy pre-release samples (since, IMO, these figures are horrible).

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, got to agree with that. I never went after the Botcon toys, but I bought Animated Blackarachnia and Grimlock early. I'm not planning on sending those back to Hasbro. Of course, I'm not planning on attempting to sell them either, but none of the guys selling Animated are getting shut down on eBay... it seems only FP are going after anyone. Also, pretty sure my BA and Grimmy are made from salvaged parts anyways.

In any case if FP & Hasbro choose to go after these guys that's all good for them, but I'd probably start looking into uping security or changing factories. From what I've read (it was something Tod McFarlane posted back during the 'lead paint' scare) the factories are supposed to be policed by a hired outside source (hired either by Hasbro, Mattel, ect.), but some factories (in an effort to keep away outside interference and such) offer discounts if you allow them to monitor themselves internally. It was a good article and a good look at how these factories run... to bad I can't find it still.

20. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

It would be a challenge to prosecute someone for purchasing an item on Ebay from China.

They could easily claim they did not know it was stolen, particularly with some of the sellers' poor grasp of English.

In addition, Ebay presents a real grey area for many of these laws.