Hasbro fall short

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by dmc2008, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. 2000lambovette

2000lambovette Missing 1984

Sorry Hasbro but a lot of my spending went to encore and even the china knock offs that you keep trying to do away with. If you would do a real resissue with original style packaging I would spend a lot more money with you. I am sure there are many others that would too.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bet that it's all Indiana Jones' fault.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro isn't likely to make the mistake of putting out reissues again.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yes. I'm sure that's the reason, and not the poor holiday buying season like the article states. :rolleyes: 

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Considering some of the moves Hasbro has made they came out fairly good.

Cartoon Network wasn't showing Transformers Animated around the holidays. The movie related toys were down to the old stuff they couldn't get rid of the first time. And well the Universe stuff only puts a few robots out at a time in that $10 range.

Hasbro had GI Joe back, but they weren't really running any ads towards kids. No cartoon, and the movie was still a long ways away.

Then no one was expecting a bad Indiana Jones movie so most places had armies of the Mutt Williams figure.

Even their super hero lines seemed to be suffering a bit since it was the transition period over the 4" line which should sell better with a lower price point and being able to tie into movies like Wolverine.

Star Wars had the bad luck of some big ticket items right when people were feeling the pinch in their wallets.

So that they weren't down far worse should be the big story.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The money you and other collectors spend on a handful of Encore reissues and knock-off G1 toys doesn't really hurt Hasbro's bottom line*, because they overwhelmingly sell Transformers to kids. That's way more money than any reissues can bring in, especially considering the small comparatively small number of collectors in regions where Hasbro operates.

Besides, reissues tanked in Hasbro's markets. As the reason for the lower profit forecast is the economic crisis, they'll have even LESS of a reason to consider reissues again.

*On the issue of knockoffs in reproduction packaging, they are concerned with protecting their reputation and intellectual properties.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not surprised considering how bad the economy is doing right now. Hopefully things will get better this year for them and every one hurting:) 

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not suprised in the down turn the one thing parents wont be buying is toys.

but I would not be fussed the past few years have been the best on record so I'm sure this down turn wont last plus the new movie will help bring back customers

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Yeah, with buying food and paying bills, there isn't much left these days to indulge in toy buying. Even when I do pick up a toy, I have incredible buyer's remorse. That toy represents a meal for one night, or part of a utility bill.

Even though it was less than expected it was still a profit. They didn't post a loss so it's not too horrible for them yet.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey, they're still in the black. That's more than a lot of businesses can say right now.

12. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heh.

13. warblah

warblah New Member

I doubt we going to recover anytime soon. What they should do is to let the .com bubble burst completely, but instead they blow a bigger one to prolong the inevitable. And now they are doing the stimulus again. Didn't we have enough debt already?

14. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Projected returns is all bs though, they expect a certain higher % than the year previous, and so on and so on, they still turned a HUGE profit regardless - just not as much as they wanted. TF's and Joe's were flying off the shelves in my area (aside from the 25th Prime and Target Exclusive garbage), as were Nerf and other stuff too. Toys have been pretty immune to the current economy as far as I can tell, again, with a few exceptions.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Keep clear of the political discussion please.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I do wonder if the world economies haven't turned around by the summer if it could put a dent in sells. I think the deluxe price range should do well like it always has, but even when things were good in the economy the larger figures don't seem to move as fast.

The words kids hate to hear of "but honey you've already got a Bumblebee at home" could become more common as well.

So I wonder if the overall down turn gets factored in for the next several quarters or not.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    but not enough people to even pay for the production costs of said reissues.

it's no big deal that they fell short of their expectations. stuff's still selling, they're still making money, unlike a lot of companies these days. good job hasbro.

18. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

No matter how many times some of you repeat the lie, G1 reissues in the US did not fail purely for their own sake.

They were sold at an unreliable specialty chain for inflated prices and not marketed AT ALL all while a clearly superior (unmodified, cheaper, more desirable characters) alternative was available for those of us in the know to import.

And you can't keep talking out of both sides of your mouth, saying collectors have no monetary influence on the company while shrieking at the top of your lungs about the epic damage we do by supporting the counterfeits.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Um, I dont think collectors do any harm by buying the counterfeit reissues.

as for the takara reissues, they were ALWAYS more expensive than the hasbro ones unless you lived outside the US. especially taking shipping into account. jazz at toys r us (who could actually stand up properly, unlike the "clearly superior" takara reissue) for $30, or jazz from takara for $40. plus shipping. yes. cheaper. really.

you can't accuse hasbro products of having inflated prices when compared to the japanese reissues, because the japanese reissues were never, ever cheaper than what hasbro released in the US. takara is the unrivaled king of price inflation on reissues. you cannot look at the cassette reissue coming out and tell me HONESTLY that those four tiny figures who are less expensive to produce than a minicon require the price of $40.

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Valkysas, your figures are wrong. If you had been preordering through BBTS, you would've paid about $28 for each. I don't remember if the $5 flat rate or the pile of loot feature were in effect at the time, but shipping did not add more than sales tax or gas to and from the mall/store. There were other deals to be had as well.

Further, your use of Jazz as a counterargument is too convenient isn't it? You forget long smokestacks plus energon ax Optimus Prime (close call though, the TRU version wasn't actually that bad of a deal and sold very quickly). You forget anime-colored Starscream. You forget unavailable evil toy gun Megatron. You forget the real Soundwave and Soundblaster. You forget Prowl and Stepper with chrome weapons. You forget missle launching Inferno. You forget actually released Sideswipe and Astrotrain. You forget Hound, Blitzwing, Blaster, Kup, TM Hotrod. We did get some good figures like Skywarp and Red Alert but they were less frequent as the line went on.

Don't confuse the issue with Encore either. Four years is enough time for inflation make a noticable difference, with or without the Tomy merger and rumblings of a worldwide recession. Or can I compare 25th Optimus Prime to Encore Convoy and destroy the myth that Takara is the king of high prices? The cassettes are indeed a rip off but everything else has deviated very little if at all in absolute or adjusted dollars.