Hasbro experiment

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Paladine, May 28, 2008.

1. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

What might happen if you gathered up original G1 robot points and attempted to redeem them for Omnibots/etc? I wonder what kind of response you'd get from Hasbro.

2. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I believe the forms do have some fine print of "while supplies last" so they aren't valid in perpetuity.

But really the response you'd probably get is the letter returned to sender. I doubt Hasbro still has people/offices/anything at the addresses for 20 year old mail-in forms.

3. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

why don't you give it a try and let us all know. :) 

4. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I have a better Hasbro experiment! How bout Hasbro brings back the robot points for exclusives & we can drop the yearly Botcon psycho scalper BS?

:bay Now THAT sounds AWESOME!!! Just admit it!:bay 

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Nah, I have a job, so I'm cool with BotCon.

6. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does, but it'd never happen because the scalpers would just adapt and find ways to get those figures to scalp too. Whenever something's limited, people try to find ways to profit off it.

That said though, disregarding botcon, which most definately should be allowed to have its own exclusives, I've thought for years that Hasbro should bring back points. Have a handful of figures (likely Robot Points exclusive repaints, i'd assume) only obtainable that way. It was a neat idea, though I dont know if it's even financially viable nowadays.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What does having a job got to do with this?

I think bringing back robot points is a great idea. I'd just clip em from the boxes like the good old days and mail away for exclusives!

I'd love that. I wonder if the wait for mail away goodies would be as intense as an adult? I remember rushing downstairs the very next day after sending off for stuff and being brutally crushed when it didn't arrive yet.

EVERY SINGLE DAY UNTIL IT DID. I was persistant, I give myself that.

8. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

Agggh! I remember the long wait when I was 12 for Overdrive and Downshft.... and that God awful pullback motor Powerbot..... I loved them all.

9. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

If I had original boxes and the mailing forms, then I would send away!

10. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

But then you'd have to deal with people taking the robot points off toys in the store. This kinda thing happens when Hasbro does mail aways for Star Wars. Even though they were inside the star case, people would rip them open.

Cool idea though. Maybe put them inside the instructions!

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would laugh my ass off if they actually did send someone an Omnibot.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, I admit that a return to robot points (like, exclusives that you could only get with robot points) would be cool.

However, you're just going to have to face a couple facts about your anti-exclusives battle here.

1) Store exclusives are usually asked for, strike that, demanded of Hasbro by stores, because they want to have something of the hot property that's their's per se.

2) Botcon exclusives aren't intended to screw people as they are nothing more than a nice momento of the convention for the people who went.

3) Even if stores, clubs & conventions stopped carrying exclusives 'teh ebil scalpzorz' would still find a way to get your robot points exclusives. Oh, say by, stealing the robot points... etc.

Yeah, happens constantly with the Star Wars mail aways and it's happening right now with the GI Joe Doc mail away included in the comic two-packs (a friend of mine had to wade through at least half a shelf of them before finding one that's sticker wasn't stolen out of it). So, it wouldn't really solve anything and just give the fandom one more thing to bitch about.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I could imagine someone printing whole sheets of really good robot points copies and cutting them up individually to use. Wouldn't be too hard for anyone already making knock-off TF boxes to get something that looks legit.

I'd just like to add I have so many robot points stored away in a box somewhere. :p 

14. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with Gingerchris. It is too easy to Print out multiple copies of R. points with technologies today. Unless Hasbro also limits one per household but then People could also use mulitple addresses.
    Robot Points also create a problem for MISB collectors, Many serious collectors would disregard that to keep boxes Mint.

15. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. With today's tech it would be way too easy for someone to make up multiples.

Now, like SideSwipe82 said... they could limit one per household, but unless they're going to spend time and money on background checks... people can simply just use a friend or relatives (multiple friends or relatives) to get however many they want.

This is another good point you make. Many of the old Robot Points figures never came with boxes (and if they did they were plain with no windows and such) and thus most MISB collectors may have no interest in them (though, we've seen that this doesn't always hold true as they'll still buy the convention only exclusives which only come sealed in bags).

16. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back in the day I got my G1 mirage from the mail-in form. I forgot to include the robot points, but I still got the toy. Also most (if not all) the forms has an expiration date, i.e. offer good while supplies last, offer expires XX/XX/86 or something like that.

17. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'm all for using robot points again myself.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Don't think that's what he meant. I think he was referring to the fact that MISB collectors won't want to cut up their precious boxes to get the Robot Points to send off for the exclusives.
    But then that's their own silly fault. :p 

I like the idea of bringing back the RPs, but as has been said, there's just too much dodgy dealing going on nowadays and you'd just wind up (especially, it seems in US stores) with people ransacking the toy aisles to rip the RPs off the boxes, then everybody else would just be stuck hunting for figs still with their packaging intact.

I'm pretty sure I've still got a tin full of unused points myself... I eventually stopped cutting them off when I realised I'd never be able to use 'em all.

19. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, good point! That aspect of it didn't even dawn on me at all...

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I like the idea of bringing it back, but I don't see it happening. If they could work it out so that it would be too hard to make copies of them, it would probably be worth while to do, but I'm not sure how they could do that. Would be interesting to read Hasbro's response to a question about any possibility of bringing them back. Maybe that's something someone should ask them at a convention.