Hasbro Europe IS on crack. Alt Silverstreak re-relase and more...

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay, at Super Megatron's request I'm satrting a new thread...

I know you're probably already sick of my rants, but then, so am I of constant whining about someone in the USA not being able to find Primus at his local Wal*Mart for a discount price two days after his initial sighting in the USA. So...

What crap have Hasbro's European branches given us lately? Lots.

Wheeljack and Battle Ravage

Distribution for Wheeljack and Battle Ravage in Europe went like this:

Italy - Wheeljack and Battle Ravage as part of the same wave, released in June 2005.
    Belgium - Wheeljack and Battle Ravage as part of the same wave, released in July 2005.
    The Netherlands - Wheeljack all by himself, released in August 2005. Battle Ravage all by himself, released in June 2006 (!), at an instant discount price of €12.99.

Bubble packaging

Let's have a look at the bubble packaging Alternators, shall we?

Decepticharge has been released in Italy (February 2006) and Denmark (May 2006) so far.

Swindle (who has already been released in the UK, Belgium, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Croatia and Italy in the red packaging) came out in South Africa (which is getting Transformers toys in European packaging) in February 2006.

Shockblast (who has already been released in the UK and Ireland in red US packaging) came out in Spain in June 2006.

So, who would you except to get the "bubble" treatment next? How about... Silverstreak?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(photos by an unknown Irish fan, pointed out to me by godsenddeath of the TFW2005 boards)

Yes, Silverstreak was re-released in Ireland, despite already having been available there in the old packaging ever since August 2004. The other Alternators toys released in Ireland so far were Smokescreen (January 2004), Windcharger (February 2005), Swindle (April 2005), Shockblast (August 2005, in US packaging) and Autobot Hound (February 2006, at an instant discount price of €14.99 - compare Netherlands release of Battle Ravage!).

So as you can see, Irish fans were virtually starving to get more of Silverstreak!

Official imports

There were the odd cases of Alternators being available in US packaging (English text only, box artwork instead of photos of the toys themselves) in European countries. First it was just Shockblast being available from Argos stores in the UK and Ireland, but in April 2006, reports came in of Dead End, Grimlock and Swerve (!) being available in TRU stores in Sweden in US packaging, whereas Dead End and Autobot Hound (the latter of which was regularly released in other European countries, mind you!) were reported to be available in TRU stores in Denmark in US packaging around the same time.

Hasbro UK's promises

At Toy Fair UK 2005, Hasbro UK promised (link) the following toys:

Windcharger - was already available in the UK at that point.
    Swindle - released in March 2005 (oddly enough, he was originally a Forbidden Planet exclusive, even though FP are traditionally an import store, he came in European packaging and was the first European release of the toy; it wasn't until much later that Swindle would also be available from Argos)
    Battle Ravage - released in Italy, Belgium and, recently, finally also in the Netherlands. Unreleased in the UK.
    Wheeljack - released in Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands. Unreleased in the UK.
    Prowl - was later officially confirmed by Hasbro UK not to come out in the UK. The reason given was that "British kids wouldn't recognize the vehicle as a police car".

At one point in mid-2005, Ellis Models got word from Hasbro that Meister (who was only ever released in Italy) would come out in the UK, but later Hasbro UK backed out of that promise.

And then there was the Hasbro UK catalog from Toy Fair UK 2006 (link):

Silverstreak - already released, recently re-released in Ireland
    Dead End - available as a straight US import in Sweden and Denmark
    Swindle - already released, possibility of re-release in bubble packaging, which is available right now in South Africa
    Decepticharge - available in Italy
    Optimus Prime - not available anywhere in Europe yet
    Rumble - not even out in the USA yet
    Shockblast - already released as a straight US import, possibility of re-release in bubble packaging, which is available right now in Spain

The verdict

Please. Don't get me started.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Other than the Silverstreak getting rereleased (the US get a reissue Meister/Tracks), I don't see the problem. Different countries get things at different times. Because you might go to all these countries so you see the same things, I'm betting the majority of people don't travel all over Europe so Ravage is new to them even if England got them months ago.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Are you kidding?!?!?!?!?
    or not at all. Which is the problem.
    England DIDN'T get Ravage at ALL.
    Or Dead End.
    Or Grimlock.
    Or Tracks.
    Or Decepticharge.
    Or Wheeljack.
    Or Ricochet.
    Or Rollbar.
    Or Prime.
    Or Prowl.
    And that's not all the Alts we got stiffed on.
    Did you even READ Nevermore's post?

4. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty much of all Alternators, Silverstreak is one of the worse Shelf Warmers ever!

Even in my Country (wich only got Sideswipe, Silverstreak & Hound two years ago... i know how europeans feel...) Silver´s is still a shelf warmer!

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Initial sighting was made by our fellow TFW member DominatorX.

I took the photos in a toy shop myself, this afternoon.

(Sorry they're a bit sloppy - didn't want to draw too much attention to myself.)

Prime and Decepticharge may still be forthcomming.

Back at the last UK Toyshow, Hasbro UK showed Silverstreak, Decepticharge, Shockblast, Prime and Dead End. (I think that's all of them ??) If Hasbro UK switched to bubble packaging,
    they may well offer the others after all.

Perhaps Hasbro UK were offered some sort of 'deal' on overstock Bubblestreaks... perhaps they were TOLD to take them.
    It may not be of value in the long run, but i'd expect bubblestreak to become a sort of curio/rarity in the long run.

As for Hound:

It's possible they came from Hasbro Italy, although the odds are they *did* come from Hasbro UK. The curious thing is, (IIRC) there's been no standard retail sighting of Alt Hound in The UK at all .

Forbidden Planet were talking about a stock of Hounds from an 'Alternate source' a while back too. (Pun not intended)

I'm wondering if there's a connection between bubblestreak being re-packaged, and the clearance Hounds.... although i can't quite put my finger on anything.

....and for those of you in the UK, if you need my help in picking one up, shoot me a PM. You'll be doing us Irish Transfans a
    favour because Hound is clogging shelves here.

I'm beyond getting into a state about Hasbro UK. It's a waste of energy as far as i'm concerned - they're just toys.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You don't see a problem if a European country gets a toy well over a year after its US release? When pretty much everyone who would have bought a domestic release had already resigned and imported the US version?

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    He's probably in the US; you know, the country where people moan because they have TOO MANY Alts on shelves... ;) 
    godsenddeath: Thanks for the offer d00d. Personally, I got Hound at Botcon.
    In 2004.
    :/

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

sure we have lots of alts at times on the shelves...mostly tracks skids and sunny! lol and silvertreak and swindle lived for years. I would have been happy if hasbro recalled them ALL and sent them to the UK ! You can have'em lol. Also, for someone from the UK who has been to a botcon? It seems like you are not strapped for cash, since I live in the US and have never been to one lol.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    NONE of whom we got.
    What the hell does that have to do with anything? The POINT is that if we want these toys, easily obtainable over there, we end up IMPORTING them at vastly inflated prices. Not to mention that if they DO get released over here we STILL end up paying getting on for twice as much as you would. How much money I personally have has got nothing to do with any of this.

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Well, I'm an American who's going to chime in with some sympathy for my European friends.

Unfortunately, all I can offer is, "That sucks, guys. I'm really sorry to hear that."

Well. Silverstreak has always been my favorite alt.. and he's pretty sexy in the bubble box, at least...

11. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I wonder what the story is with Hasbro's European efforts.

As a GI Joe collector, I know that the GI Joe series was VERY scattered and a year or two late in Europe and to a lesser extent the UK for its whole 82-95 run.

It seems that Transformers G1 was, too.

Now the Alternators. It's just odd. It seems like Hasbro would want to sell the toys, right?

Well, from what I can tell, it's all about molds and factory runs.

With the old GI Joe run, you can watch a figure's mold travel from one production facility to another as it gets released in a different country every year just by looking at the production notes on the figure and the card.

Even though it might seem like all the figures are the same and they all come out of one factory, I doubt that's the case. Sure, all the factories are in China now, but there's still travel and foul-ups that happen.

Last year Hasbro had to delay plans for a GI Joe release because one of the factories they had contracted with in China shut down and/or nationalized, and the company had to negotiate for their molds and materials returned.

The variance of plastic and lower QC on Prime makes me think that Hasbro moved the Alternator operation to a new factory, if they moved the WHOLE operation (if it was ever all under one roof) that may be the reason for delays on the UK/EU end.

Hasbro US and UK may not use the same facilities. That would mean that figure availability would depend on mold availability.

And don't forget that Hasbro and Takara are doing some double-dipping on the mold casting for this series (at least they were), so some of the parts may be ceded to Takara at a given time.

I guess what I'm saying is that it MAY be nearly impossible for Hasbro UK to line up a straight release schedule without just importing the damnable things and taking a pretty serious loss.

Now why the Hasbrotoyshop doesn't solve all of this by offering international shipping is beyond me.

I'm also confused why any U.S. fan would tell those in the EU to stop whining when we're always coveting the odd Takara exclusive or G1 Euro pre-formers.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Funny you should say that... apprently TRU UK told someone that the UK release of Alt Prime was put back a mopth.....

Perhaps due to complaints from the international branches of Hasbro who aren't releasing the toys in the first place. :D 

Aside from which customs/postal services in some European countries are awful.

13. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    So Europe is all effed in getting new toys, how is this news and/or rumor?

:p 

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would also jump in here with agreement. I just want the whole world to have easy access to cool toys. :D  (Alts for all!)

On a positive note, Alt Silverstreak (as with the others) looks great in the bubble package. It's still just having to damage the box severely getting the toy out (and this all depends on how you enjoy your toys :)  ).

I hope the overseas situation with Transformers gets better!

15. Tman978

Tman978 Really CHILL!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Streak looks so Silvery in that box. I almost wanna buy em again.

16. PakiroVah

PakiroVah Hasbro's Slave

You know what I call you? Lucky. You get a whole BIG chance to get these guys, while most Americans haven't found a toy that's been out for months. And, if you're SO desperate, buy them off of a cheap site!

17. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Profressional Asshole

My feelings on this issue?

Apathy. Total Apathy.

18. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Such a lovely, lovely thread...as usual :rolleyes2  These types of threads really do bring out the worst in people, no matter which side of the pond they're on.

And all over toys...freaking toys :thumbdown 

19. Dominatorx

Dominatorx Banned

20. callmaster

callmaster Well-Known Member

Thank god we get em quite fast. I couldn't handle a year long wait.