Hasbro Earnings Announcement - Up 3%

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by rework, Oct 18, 2010.

1. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Hasbro Earnings Report is up with nice upside surprise. TFs are cited as being on the downswing this year, but that's only to be expected with no movie or TV show support this year. Next year should be bigger.

News Headlines

Hasbro reported a higher-than-expected quarterly profit on Monday on cost controls and strong demand for its preschool and boys' toys.

The No. 2 U.S. toymaker, home to brands from Playskool to Monopoly, said it still expected an increase in full-year revenue and earnings per share, including spending for its new television network.

The results came just days after larger rival Mattel [MAT 22.66 0.21 (+0.94%) ] missed quarterly sales estimates on an unexpected decline at its Fisher-Price infant and preschool toy business.

"They put up good numbers," BMO Capital markets analyst Gerrick Johnson said. "Revenues up 3 percent. That's better than Mattel, which was up 2 percent."

"Very good execution on Hasbro's side. Nerf is doing very, very well. That's driving significant increases in boys and the preschool line looks reinvigorated," added Johnson, who has a "market perform" rating on the shares.

Hasbro [HAS 47.42 2.3375 (+5.18%) ] said its third-quarter net income rose to $155.2 million, or $1.09 a share, from $150.4 million, or 99 cents a share, a year earlier. The profit was 5 cents a share higher than the forecast from analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.

Sales rose 3 percent to $1.31 billion, topping the $1.29 billion analysts had expected. Revenue increased 4 percent excluding currency changes.

Revenue grew in three of four major product categories, led by preschool, which was up 9 percent, and boys, the largest category, up 4 percent. Sales of games and puzzles rose 2 percent, while girls slipped 1 percent.

The boys category's gain was better than the 1.1 percent decline Stifel Nicolaus had expected.

The entertainment and licensing segment's revenue fell 34 percent due to declines in "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe" movie-related sales.

The company said the fourth quarter would reflect the largest percentage of its expected 25-to-30-cent-per-share full-year spending to support the launch this month of The Hub, a new children's TV network formed with Discovery Communications.

The channel, launched on Oct. 10, will replace Discovery Kids in 60 million cable and satellite homes in an attempt to fill a void between networks featuring preschool-age programming and shows for older children in the 11-to-14 age range.

Some analysts do not expect robust sales growth in 2010 as Hasbro faces tough comparisons and dilution from the TV joint venture. Many seem more focused on what appears to be a strong line-up for 2011.

Hasbro holds licenses to make merchandise tied to upcoming movies such as "Transformers 3", "Thor" and "The First Avenger: Captain America", all scheduled for release in 2011.

Last December, Hasbro signed a 10-year deal to make and sell toys and games based on characters in the American children's television series "Sesame Street."

Hasbro bought back $260.1 million worth of its common stock during the third quarter, and has $157.5 million remaining in the current authorized program.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Too bad when those new Transformers and GI Joe cartoons come out, there'll be no toys on the shelves for the kids....

Edit: toys for those shows, of course there'll still be toys.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They didn't really mention the international divisions I notice But then Hasbro UK is their Mad Aunt that lives in their attic anyway.

Am I the only one who thinks it's bonkers that War For Cybertron toys failed to make UK shelves at the same time as the game and that the game itself was under manufactured so much it lead to shortages on it.

So they failed to make that event sing - they also failed to do anything very much with Gi Joe at all in the UK either.

Now just as happened with Animated ; Transformers Prime will debut with NO TOYS based on it at all and still no immediate sign of any either.

With the Movie #3 Juggernaut coming I expect Classics (version whatever) will Disappear again and Prime will get lost in the shuffle.

I still think Hasbro would have been better served making Animated Omega Supreme as a Large Ultimate toy over Ultimate Bumblebee.

I really hope they don't make a 3rd version of that horrible toy.

I guess I'm a little put out as if you fancy a change of flavour you have a harder job finding something different (especially outside America).

For example Crossovers toys have mostly vanished in the UK.

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I predict that when Movie 3 hits, we'll have movie toys and Generations. Power Core Combiners were a limited line, and while I think there's still one more mold we haven't seen, any other padding will be repaints. The "yellow box" figures will go away in favor of the movie ones. Then next fall we'll have TFPrime as the third line and the movie will fizzle the following year.

5. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    If Hasbro has packed with all new figures in wave 1 HftD , the earning could have been much better. Just imagined a case of assortment with one of each on the all -new molds...
    bblade bumblebee, dlx ironhide, sidearm sidewipe, hailstorm, tomahawk, terradive, turbo tracks, autobot jazz.

I imagined people would buy by case base instead of running to store to hunt...

also... by now, Hasbro should be able to tell WHAT are flying off shelves and WHAT are WARMING shelves...

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro HAS to make redecos in order to recoup the costs of the molds and, heaven forbid, make a profit:eek:  And while Hasbro may take notice of what's warming shelves, there's not much they can do about it. it takes a long time to get anything done so by the time they could have cases changed the next wave would probably have already have hit retail

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Im Confused Whats Happening?

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Basically,.. we're spending too much money on TF stuff.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This :lol  I certainly did my part to support Hasbro in the last year.

10. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    so thats an good thing or bad thing?

11. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

And my stock portfolio thanks you for it!