Hasbro drops the ball with Prime distribution?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blackstar, May 14, 2012.

1. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

I know this is an issue that has probably been beaten to death, but is anyone else started to get frustrated with the lack of availability of new figures in the Prime line? Bumblebee aside (which is like a plague at most stores), the new case assortments are ridiculous:

Wave 3:
    1x Bumblebee
    1x Arcee
    1x Autobot Ratchet
    2x Knockout
    1x Vehicon
    2x Hot Shot

Wave 4:
    1x Cliffjumper
    1x Soundwave
    1x Knockout
    2x Deadend
    2x Bumblebee
    1x Airachnid

So...by this we can see that people trying to get either Hot Shot or Vehicon have one shot to do it, and with Vehicon being packed one to a case, the likelihood of that happening is slim. No online retailers are selling Vehicon (or are sold out) and scalpers are already having a field day with him on eBay. And then they bring back Cliffjumper and Soundwave for wave four, plus shortpack the new molds again?!

Whoever planned these case assortments needs a new job.

2. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    It has been beaten to death but I can't disagree with you. The only devils advocate thing I'll say is that the large retail stores like Wal-mart do have some influence on how the case assortments are done. They don't literally tell toy makers which figures to put in each case. But I have heard of them denying certain assortments. The big retailers are hasbro's customer... not the collectors. They have to convince the big retailers to buy their product or we never see it.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You're absolutely right ... this topic has been beaten to death.

In all seriousness, the Prime toy line got off to a horrible start with the Fandom (the First Edition mess) and I believe that continues to leave a poor taste in everyone's mouth. That doesn't make up for some of the questionable case assortments. Unless there are future revisions planned to these waves you're absolutely right then, the Vehicon is a one hit wonder.

I don't think this is going to be the case though, pun intended.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I am going to say this. On paper, their distribution looks awful but in practice, for me, it hasn't been that bad. I've still been finding Ratchets and Arcees on shelves despite being shortpacked.

That said, I am almost certain this will change come wave 3, which is just stupid, stupid, stupid. Vehicon should have gotten at least two slots.

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I've got a ton of Hot Shots if you need one. $14 plus shipping.

6. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, that's the very one I want to avoid. I'm only in the market for Knockout and Vehicon.

7. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

Yep... I'll save you a spot in line.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yes, ever since the 07 movie, distribution has been decent and on a good pace; sometimes to fast paced, but with Prime it has just been very slow and like Ive said before, they should not have canceled DOTM if Prime was going to be this slow and sparce

9. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    The thing that really bugs me is that Hasbro made an army builder one per case. And I still regret skipping on Ratchet the first and only time I saw him.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  it's a kick in the nuts, isn't it?

11. Wreck n rule

Wreck n rule Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. Normally, I pick things up if there is any doubt.

Yesterday, however, I went to Toys R Us and passed on an Arcee. Now I wonder if I should have picked it up...

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    hotshot is actually a nice figure. not as nice as vehicon, but I'm actually liking him a bit more then knockout.

regardless, I've been able to find all the new voyagers and deluxes in a week. yeah, I know it's semi-lucky, but for some reason I also agree with an earlier poster too that all this looks worse on paper.

vehicon might not be popular with the youngins, you never know. you might be able to pick a few up relatively easily depending on how saturated your area is with collectors. bigger cities will obviously be worse but some burbs shops (where I got all mine) may end up being rather easy locations to obtain them.

13. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

the case assortments are indeed rather questionable, but in practise, I've still managed to find just about everything, shortpacked figures and all. it's just that they take a long time to get to me, which I'm pretty sure was always the case with the East Coast anyway.

The issue has definitely been beaten to death, though, as much as I agree with it. To compensate, I've learned to just be patient, as well as rely on online buying to fill in the gaps. It's not perfect, but I've still managed to get every figure I've wanted so far in one way or another. It's only Vehicon that scares me a bit; while I've had little trouble finding shortpacked moulds at retail before, the fact that he's so sought-after might make it tough for me.

14. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do we know what's in case 5 yet? (I feel like we do but maybe I'm mis-remembering.)

15. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

We know that Kup and Rumble are the two new moulds, but as far as I can tell, we haven't seen the case ratios or what repeat moulds will accompany them. I'm hoping for an additional Vehicon slot, personally, since they missed out on that for Wave 4.

16. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah, seeing how Soundwave is reappearing in Wave 4, that would be nice.

If they will be using this method for all of the previously shortpacked figures, I would be more inclined to be much more forgiving of these assortments.

17. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's the case assortments they have dropped the ball on. The actual distribution has been ok, but the assortments make you think WTF big time.

18. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Slow and sparce? We're on wave 3 perhaps 4 in some areas when they only started coming out en masse towrds the end of february, dotm. was much slower. Hopefully since bumblebee has less presenve in the newer cases there wont be too much shelf warming.. You will all get your figures people. You may have to hunt at first but you will find them. People were worried about kup, warpath, and wheeljack, and you can find them at the discount stores.
    Patience, people, patience.

19. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wave 5

2x Night Strike Bumblebee
    2x Dead End
    1x Rumble
    1x Kup
    1x Wheeljack
    1x Ratchet

Ok, not really, but would it really surprise anyone? It'll probably be:

2x Rumble
    2x Kup
    2x Night Strike Bumblebee
    1x Dead End
    1x Vehicon

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'll take this any day over my stores overloading on waves 1 & 2.

If anyone's dropped the ball on missing Knockout and the Vehicon, it's me. I've been beaten to the punch on stock days.