Hasbro dropping the Hammer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusDawg, May 31, 2009.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After reading yesterday's panel on the Hasbro upcoming products for the rest of the year and 2010. I read at least two or three lines about Hasbro commenting on Fanprojects and Fan made product of the like and the mentioned that they are looking into it.

And that some of the things coming down the line might be may be getting too close to home for them not to do anything about it. Especially when these companies are making 100+ on each single item sold.

I understand the need for concern on Hasbro's behalf and I to an extent agree, but also at the same time I feel that Hasbro can take a hint from these companies at the same time also.

I have and will continue to purchase both official Hasbro made products and what I call Aftermarket/Fan made kits and accessories to accent my officially made figures.

I would like to see what anyone else thought about the matter and also How much of it could Hasbro stop. I'm sure a decent chunk of it say like the possible "Springer" and other robots will be reamed and halted. But what about things similar to the Armor sets that Fanprojects made. These aren't actual full blown figures. And what about Igear products? I wonder just how hard this hammer is going to hit once it does and how soon.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    o wow, i thought you meant no hammer with Wingblade Optimus Prime *phew!*

3. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'm pretty sure this is about the "Springer" and "Wreck Gar" figures Fans project planed on doing. It did strike me as a bit iffy when I saw those. It's a shame too, cause those did look rather nice.

Course, Hasbro didn't really say exactly what they plan on doing about it. For all we know they could giving FP a call offering to buy up thier designs.
    Course if FP says no, then Hasbro will probably be calling thier lawyers next.

4. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My thoughts too. That maybe Hasbro might be like "Hey, ummm how bout you guys come work for us making those spiffy upgrades?" But that will never ever ever ever happen. It just would be a place for this stuff retail wise except for older fans and collectors. Kids could care less.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Yeah, unless it comes with the figure it's suppose to go to, add on kits are really more a fan thing.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I know when I saw those my immediate thought was 'I'm sure Hasbro will have a problem with actual full figures of what looks like their owned character likenesses'.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

[​IMG]
    Never thought that would come in useful. :D 

Doesn't seem too surprising. Weapon kits and trailers aren't directly stepping on their toes (you still need to buy something from Hasbro for them to be useful), but figures of their licensed characters? Yeah, that was asking for it.

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Going to be kind of tricky for Hasbro to track down some of these after market producers. They'll probably just take the easy route and put pressure on those in North America who are selling them.

9. imwthstpd

imwthstpd that crazy fanboy

News Credits:
    yea, i bet it was the springer and wreck gar figures. Also if fans project says yes to work with hasbro, it would be a lose for fansproject because they're doing all the work they regularly do and they dont get as much money.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with a few people here. upgrades still require the original toy so if anything I'd say some figures benefit from this kinda kits an example very few people cared about classics Ultra Magnus till the commander sets came around

But making high end figures from scratch of Hasbro's characters that's stepping on their toes and frankly fair game if they want to bring the smack down

11. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not much of a loss IMO. Considering how much these companies charge for a trailer or a helmet with some guns, can you imagine how expensive a full blown figure from them would be. I think Hasbro would have a problem with after market companies selling Deluxe Class figures for like $300 and Voyagers for $1,000, especially given how much backlash there was for raising their retail prices a whole two bucks.

The sick part...fans would be buying them. Lots of them. In every color scheme that they crapped out. And another with chrome.

12. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

The way I understand it. Hasbro has the legal right to stop even something like the Fansproject City Commander if it contains anything owned and/or trademarked by Hasbro...autobot/decepticon symbols...transformer character names...even the name "Transformers" on the packageing.

Thats not to say that Hasbro couldn't throw some lawyers at Fansproject or whomever even if they didn't technicaly step on Hasbro's toes. They are a large company, with vast resources afterall. But I don't see Hasbro doing something like that out of spite, there have been other toy lines of robots that have the ability to transform (trans morph, morph, convert, or just gobot :p  ) and Hasbro hasn't used a legal means to deal with them. So as long as the prouct isn't blatently stomping on the Transformers(TM) line, there isn't likely much Hasbro will/could do to stop it

13. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Maybe Hasbro should just open there eyes and stop with recolor after recolor.

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah uhhh thats how they make money on these things as often one toy wont cover the mold costs
    and frankly some fan companys are more guilty of repainting toys then hasbro

15. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I agree but how many become shelfwarmers?

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They sell better than just leaving the product on shelves with the same colors.

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not that many or hasbro wouldny keep making them. They dont do anything that doesnt make them money

18. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    I think hasbro has been incredibly lenient with these companies so far that make the upgrade kits.

19. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

It will be interesting to see how this works out. While I love FansProject's products, I would compleatly understand if Hasbro decided to put a stop to it, or get a slice of the pie.

20. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is something AMS said on the Botcon 2009 Hasbro Preview Panel thread. IMHO, the same applies here on this thread.