Hasbro downsizing figures or increasing cost, where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dkr7, Feb 8, 2012.

?

Which would you prefer?

1. Same size - Increased Price

98 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Smaller size - Same cost

46 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind if they use less plastic to make a smaller figure. I'm not too fussed about paint - if it's a figure I care a lot I pay premium for an import (when there's one) - for a general release I prefer affordability.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    A lot of people are, imho, overreacting. The "downsizing" is nowhere near as dramatic as most people apparently think it is. A lot of people seem to confuse short with small. Also, paint-apps aren't being affected nearly as much as people claim.

I have no issue with the way Hasbro is taking the Transformers property, and I'm honestly tired of seeing the constant complaints about the vastly blown out of proportion "downsizing".

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter just wants good toys.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    For the most part, I'd rather pay a little more to keep the figures sizes stable then the downsizing.

I didn't really think anything about all the comments about how small the figures are getting until the other day when I put the Cyberverse Vehicon with DOTM Crankcase and Barricade, and Legends G1 Megatron. It's like adults with a kid in their midst.

5. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    I'm on the pay more, get more boat. Though in all honesty, I'd like to pay the same amount that I paid last year, or the year before for TF's. I can't imagine the cost increase and the sizing down of stuff to be justified on Hasbro's end. Some places increased the cost of TF's by what? 2 dollar's last year for deluxe's? I don't know about you, but I've seldom heard of anyone getting a raise over that much.

If these things are meant to be more geared towards kids, does Hasbro really expect them to be able to keep up? Third Party stuff looks more and more attractive each year to me. Some of the things are top notch, that's not to say Hasbro hasn't released it's own gems, but for the most part it's been grossly hit or miss on their end, at least for me. The majority of the Dark of the Moon line I found to be largely forgettable, and Cyberverse? I prefer my old basic's to them any day of the week.

Cut out the flak's and umpteenth Optimus, Bumblebee, and Megatron release in a smaller scale. Give me more Sky Stalkers, Breachers, and Wind Chargers any day.Don't try to take me to a disco, you'll never get me out on the floor, in ten minutes I'll be out the door. I like that old time rock and roll.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You mean DOTM Cyberverse Crankcase? He's not exactly a giant of CV, wow (I haven't seen TFP CV figures in person)

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Yeah, Cyberverse Crankcase, Cyberverse Barricade, and G1 Legends Megatron all tower above the Cyberverse Vehicon. The top of the Vehicons head is under the headlights of both DOTM Cyberverse figures in robot mode.

8. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the bigger the better - bring on classics Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Trypticon & Scorponok.

The only ones I could see myself buying at a slightly smaller scale would be classic minibots - if they are on scale with classics BB.

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really don't mind the slightly smaller figures we've been getting, but it's being accompanied by price increases anyway! My local TRU had DOTM deluxes (the same ones that have been out for 8 months) at $17.50. That is absolutely absurd when I bought most of them at Walmart at launch for $9.88. I hope the RID Prime toys are somewhat sensibly and uniformly priced, at a maximum of $12-13. Either way, TRU is undoubtedly losing my business.

10. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I find that the figures are being sacrificed to make budget room for gimmicks. To me the solution is clear. Stop wasting plastic on GIMMICK WEAPONS. (Mechtech being a Prime example)
    that way the figures atleast have a change of staying a decent size for their price.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

As someone that modifies their own figures, I don't really mind the lack of paint apps. If something bothers me enough, I'll just take a brush to it. It's just that simple. I'd rather have bigger figures with less paint apps and gimmicks than the other way around. Not that I'm utterly anti-gimmick or anything. Some of them are pretty cool, but they just as easily compromise other figures.

12. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    How about the realistic option of both downsizing AND increasing costs.

Yes, it requires that much emphasis.

13. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    I recently bought DOTM Bumblebee and ever since then I just can't look at my '07 Jazz the same way. I hate him now. He shouldn't be bigger than 'bee - he's supposed to be a whole foot shorter than him!

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is worth noting that there has been a lot of variation within a given size class, in either direction, as opposed to this slow undeniable pull toward tinier toys some keep advocating. Compare some Beast Wars deluxe toys to the Prime-RID deluxes for example. Two I had on hand (Rhinox and Silverbolt) were roughly the same height as P-RID Cliffjumper. There's other factors to consider of course, but it's not like we've lost all this toy mass over the last fifteen years or so, never to return. Perhaps we're spoiled by the occasional toy or whole line that comes off larger or taller than average. (Armada and Animated come to mind)

15. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have Generation 1 boxes still with price tags from the 1980's. Many of them like Hot Rod my parents paid $13+ for back then. I remember saving my money and bought G1 Thrust for $16 plus tax. I can live with paying these prices today as long as the quality and sizes are worth it. I see a few here on TFW who are willing to pay for Takara versions of the same toy at higher pirices. I don't want that much of a price increase, but as long as the quality is there (good paint apps, quality control is good, quality materials, and well designed), I'm fine with it as long as they don't shrink 'em.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd prefer same size, increased price. But that's not an option they seemed to be entertaining. They shrunk the size AND increased the price.

About paint and gimmicks, I'd prefer more paint and fewer gimmicks. Yeah, there are some things that can be painted by the consumer, but it's a pain in the neck and honestly, that costs money, too, anyway. So I'd rather Hasbro handled it.

The question was which would you PREFER? Not, "What just happened?"

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd rather have bigger but more expensive figures. I can always get more money- but I can't magically make my toys bigger if they're too small to fit in with other stuff in my collection.

18. mtmte586

mtmte586 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems like both is happening. Look at TRU RID prices.

19. AMG

AMG Old School

I'll take the price increase if it means having larger figures with good paint jobs.

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    You can increase the price on a figure a dollar or two but the size must say the same. I'm not spending more cash on less bot ,which is what they are going to do imo. That's why I've stopped investing in the MP line that much.