Hasbro downsizing figures or increasing cost, where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dkr7, Feb 8, 2012.

?

Which would you prefer?

1. Same size - Increased Price

98 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Smaller size - Same cost

46 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Been a bit of talk about this lately so i'm just wondering where collectors stand on this, would you like the figures to stay the size they were and the price increase or would you rather the price be the same and have smaller figures?

I know it's the retailers that decide this really, just wanted opinions.

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Aside from the usual 'We pay more anyway' refrain, i'd pay more before loosing paint.

Shrinking size, i can live with to some degree.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I can't honestly say I've noticed a drastic difference in the size of the figures.

Simply put ... size doesn't matter.

This is going to get awkward.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I do not liek the smaller sizes with less paint apps and that grey/brown plastic they are becomign fond of. I would prefer keeping to the old Generations/FE scale and paying a bit more.

Unfortunately the truth is they are scaled down and have less paints apps and they seem to use that Grey/Brown plastic a lot. Oh well I still love the designs and characters we are getting. Prime/Generations/FOC FTW!

5. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't care about the size...I care about the cost. I got 2 kids.

6. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    mostly because of the sudden change in price, i kind of stopped buying the figures. Unless its a character i really want, i just sort of stopped.

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

This. I'm fine with shrinking figures, but the lack of paint is the kicker for me. I'd be willing to pay a bit more to make sure that doesn't happen.

... and we're getting all three! Hoorayyyyyyyyy.

Of the two options... I guess I'd keep the price the same and shrink them? I don't really mind except for trying to scale figures to each other, but that doesn't affect my collection much.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Iunno, I'm kind of liking the smaller size. plus they're bound to get bigger again-i mean, look at Classics BB, then Animated Lockdown, and now the Reavealers guys. right now we're in a small wave. soon we'll get a big wave.

What I don't get is how Megatron and Optimus are decent sized and loaded with electronics o.o

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Cost is kind of a factor, but all in all, I am just less interested in the toys when they're smaller, have no paint apps, and bare ugly grey plastic. Ditch the giant dumb weapons or the lights and sounds gimmicks first. The lack of paint apps is the number one thing that bothers me these days

To me, it isn't a question of how many figures I can buy for $X, or how big the figures are for what I'm spending. That ship already sailed long ago with the rise of third party purchases. I have to like what I'm spending money on, and it doesn't matter if it's $10 or $100 - if it looks like shit, I wouldn't buy it for $5.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd rather pay slightly more if it meant keeping size consistency and having paint apps that were above the absolute bare minimum shit that we've been getting these days.

All this "pay more for obviously less" thing has done has made me a more selective buyer now. They didn't get a cent from me for any of the DOTM figures, and won't be seeing any from the RID line either because of it.

11. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I'm not made of gold and I'm gonna be a family man soon. Keep current prices.

12. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Oh yes, that reminds me. That damn gray plastic. I can forgive a completely unpainted car mode but... not in that color. It looks ugly. Especially when they're trying to pass it off for silver. Both Deluxe and HA Soundwave (... which still haven't come out) have that and it's hideous. Yet Legion has a nice silvery gray plastic... why?

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The last thing I want is a Classics Blitzwing that's 20-30% smaller than the other two triple changers. Charge me more in order to keep some sense of continuity on the homage toys, at least.

14. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Yea,if they can keep the Classic/Gen the same size I would pay more. They often cost more than movie toys anyway.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I'm not really bothered either way as I've started buying figures on a case by case basis rather than being a range whore. I have 17 Classics Seekers and 6 Masterpiece seekers, so scale doesn't bother me at all.
    Energon / Cybertron did big figures, but I haven't kept many of those over the years.

FE Starscream is way too small for a jet, but my god, what a great toy!

16. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

This is where im at.

17. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    That's tough. The slighly smaller is ok, but i wont mind paying a buck or two more for paint apps. $7 more, here is looking at you TRU, for a Voyager...no.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd rather the size and quality stayed the same and just pay a bit more for it. It's just a fact of modern life that things have a price increase over time. The price of food goes up, the price of clothing goes up, the price of gas goes up, so why should I think the price of Transformers can remain frozen at the same price point forever?

19. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    This is what I was gonna say. They're already simultaneously raising the prices and shrinking the figures.

If anything, the question should be "make them bigger at the current price" or "bring the price down to meet the smaller size."

RiD Cliffjumper is smaller than Classics Bumblebee, yet costs more than the bigger Sky Shadow. :redface2: 

20. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm willing to pay a bit more for a new Classics Deluxe to be the same size and paint and overall quality as its predecessors. We watched them go from about $10 to about $13-15 when Generations kicked off, and scout class prices had been creeping up to closer to the original deluxe $10 price. But if newer lines want to have a primary class that sacrifices size to maintain a more affordable price I can understand that also. And get the repaint and store exclusive thing back in high gear. Repaints exist to offset more of the development cost (and usually sell decent), yet a lot of figures never get repainted at all.

+-MWG-+