Hasbro Designer Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I wanted to take a moment (about once a year it seems) to make a thread to thank the Hasbro designers that work their butts off to bring out some awesome toys. They get absolutely no credit (usually people thank TakaraTomy) but they take all the flak (omg Hasbro sux).

A majority of the Hasbro design crew have been on board since the days of Transformers Armada. What a transformation (pun intended) that our beloved childhood toys have done since not just 2001, but since 1984. Shoot, even since Movie 1 to the current Generations/Hunt For Decepticons/United there's an obvious advancement in the design of these toys.

And while we're not always privy to the choices they make (colors, mold choices for repaints/remolds, names, allegiances, releases or lack thereof), I believe they do not get enough credit for turning Transformers from "hey I remember that" back to the #1 boys toyline in the world.

Transformers have survived:

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - X-Men (during Toy Biz days)
    - Marvel Legends (during Toy Biz days)
    - Masters of the Universe
    - 17 years of Power Rangers
    - Pokemon figures
    - Yu Gi Oh figures
    - Bey Blades (even if that was a Hasbro property)
    - Bakugon
    - McFarlane toys
    - Pogs
    - Wrestling figures
    - Gundam
    - Various other "crazes"

And while they weren't always #1, and in fact were sometimes not even in the top 10, they never disappeared (for more than 18 months back in the early 90's) and have reappeared as the top toy for boys ages 5 to 11. They've even survived the rise and supremacy of video games that are continually creeping down the age ladder.

So while I can't name all the designers (they went from a handful to like, what, 15 or so now?), I know I can name Aaron Archer (though he's retired and has an awesome beard), Eric Siebenaler, Bill Rawley, Joe Kyde, Vicki Stratford (I think that's right, stalkers assist me please) the big guy who moved on from Transformers and I can't remember his name for the life of me, and all the others that have taken the mantle that get no appreciation and are seemingly only remembered during the convention season.

Thank you guys and girls. You take a lot of shit on these forums and you're unable to respond to any of it. But don't let the vocal minority outweigh the silent majority ... you do amazing work, you've kept a piece of our childhood alive and even made it flourish beyond our wildest imaginations, and most of us agree that you have our dream job. Keep on creating worlds and characters to live in those worlds ... because even in a shitty economy and a world that feels like it's falling apart more and more everyday, nothing makes it better than reliving being 6 years old again by ripping in to a box to transform that new Transformer we've been eyeing on the toyshelf.

Thanks again. If I ever make it to another BotCon, a round of drinks for all of you on me. But give me a heads up on how many drinks that'll be ... I'm on a budget. And a shot of tequila for Rik ... he loves tequila ;) 

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Japanese counterparts always seem to get the praise, so I'm all for this thread. I brag about guys like Eric and Bill all the time. They designs they put on paper are mind-blowing, and their ability to translate those flawlessly into three dimensions even moreso. I keep telling people I want to be like them when I grow up.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously. I'm tired of seeing this great stuff released, and some snarky douche start crying "bleh, looks like crap", "hasblow", etc....Especially the g1-themed stuff has been awesome, I wish I owned these toys we are getting now when I was 6 years old.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't see why it has to be Hasbro vs Takara, why we have to play one company off against the other, or have a thread exclusively about Hasbro designers.

I'd like to see them all get their dues. Hasbro and Takara. They should print design credits on the box or the instructions or somewhere.

5. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

thanks hasbro keep up the great work.

in case anyone from hasbro is reading this thread. please create a masterpiece Sixshot toy.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

here's a list of almost all the TF Hasbro employees copied & pasted from the TF Wike site: (my guess is the big guy's name is Greg Lombardo.")

Corporate
    Brian Goldner, Chief Executive Officer
    Alfred J. Verrecchia, Chairman of the Board
    Aaron Archer, Vice President of Intellectual Property Development, Creative Director of Transformers
    [edit] Boys' Toys
    Samantha Lomow, Global Brand Leader, Vice President of Marketing and Design for Transformers
    Vickie Stratford, formerly Sr. Design Project Manager for Transformers, now transferred to the Star Wars brand as its head of design(?)
    Steve Bono, Design Manager
    [edit] Girls' Toys
    Michelle Field, formerly Director of Marketing for Transformers and boys toys, now Sr. Director of Marketing for girls's toys
    [edit] Transformers Brand
    [edit] Marketing
    Greg Lombardo, Sr. Director of Global Marketing
    Michael Vibede Vanting, Global Brand Marketing Director
    Kristin Hamilton, international marketing
    Michael Ballog, marketing
    Jared Jones, marketing
    Matthew Proulx, marketing
    Forest Lee, copywriting
    [edit] Design
    Jared Wade, Director of Global Product Design
    Brian Chapman, Head of Design, Global toy/game/IP
    Eric Siebenaler, Senior Product Designer
    William Rawley, Senior Product Designer
    Joe Kyde, Designer
    Todd Patrick, packaging design
    Michelino Paolino
    Brian Wilk
    Alan Roach

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Thanks Hasbro. You guys are awesome. As much as I bellyache about how we don't have an HA Jolt, a proper ROTF Elita-1, or the three remaining ROTF constructicons, I cannot nor will not deny the awesomeness that you guys have given us, and will continue to give us until we all grow up.

8. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have yet to see a Transformers design that I didn't like, so from the bottom of my heart I thank anyone and everyone that had a hand in making Transformers come to life. Thank you all.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When you purchase one of the latest available bots and he's amazingly complicated to transform (a 5) you have to give kudos to the designers/engineers of these toys. Today's TF's are much more complicated than the bots of our beloved 80's series, say what you will..but current Transformers are truly a thing of amazing design and beauty! Hasbro guys and gals please keep up the excellent work!! :thumb  :thumb 

10. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I agree.

After many years, we finally have some amazing Transformers...

The amount od engineering and details put into my favorite TFs is much appriciated...

I may not agree with some color choices or paint decos.

But its not the designers fault to mis-color a well designed figure...

Thanks fot the following Transformers:

Masterpiece figures
    Alternators figures
    ROTF Leader/Buster Optimus Prime
    " " Leader Starscream
    ROTF Human Alliance Bumblebee
    " " Jazz
    ROTF Lockdown
    ROTF Bludgeon (Master of Metallicato set)
    ROTF Sideways
    ROTF HFTD Sidearm Sideswipe
    " " Battleblade Bumblebee
    Generations Cybertron Bumblebee
    " " Optimus Prime
    " " Megatron
    " " Soundwave
    Generations Darkmount
    Movie Armorhide
    Movie Longarm
    Movie Ironhide
    Movie Dropkick
    Galaxy Force Optimus Prime
    " " Vector Prime
    " " Galvatron
    " " Live Convoy
    Cybertron Primus
    RID Optimus Prime
    RID Ultra Magnus
    RID Megatron
    RID Build King
    RID Scourge
    Armada Nemesis Prime
    Armada Unicron
    Classics figures (well, most of them)
    and the Animated figures (all of them)

: )

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yo Eric. You kick ass. And your sources ARE better than other people's. ;) 

Kyde, you may be a liar, but you're still a nice guy. ;) 

Everyone else, don't know much about you, but I love you all. ;) 

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've nothing but admiration and respect for everyone in the design team. The amount of awesome choices coming out shows a lot of dedication to the brand as a whole - and the designs that we are seeing are incredible, not to mention the level of skill and engineering.

I said it back at Botcon, and I'll say it again now - it's a great time to be a Transformers fan. And that is all because of the hard work of the designers.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    These Guys give it their all when it comes to the Classics/Universe/Generations/HFTD/RTS lines.

The work they do is amazing. They don't get enough credit for their job.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Thank you nice people at Hasbro!

15. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    This, a 100x this.

16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My mind can not even begin to comprehend how the design team does what they do. After 25 + years of toys, they are still constantly and consistently raising the bar on figures and creating new ways to change from vehicle to robot and back. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the design team and I appreciate everything they do for the brand.

Thank you Hasbro for an excellent 2010, and I can not wait for what looks to be a very exciting 2011.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm consistently floored by the ingenuity the Hasbro guys put into their designs. It's like the bar gets raised nearly every time I buy a new toy.
    Thanks guys! Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  18. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree with [the majority] of you guys. Classics/Universe/Generations/HFTD/RTS/ROTF has some of the coolest figures I have ever seen. What these guys have done with some of these toys, particularly the deluxe pricepoint, is unreal.

19. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    I always found it distasteful how quick so many fans usually are to hate hasbro and praise takara, it's good to see someone else giving them credit. Hasbro is one of the few (if not only) company that is clearly run by fans. They never had to give us Classics, they didn't have to bring it back not once, but twice, and they still do their best to please the fans with G1 inspired repaints.

Most of all, I'd like to thank Hasbro for making sure Primus was in Cybertron. If left to Takara, we probably still wouldn't have a Primus figure. Not that Takara doesn't do good work, but they do get credit for it. Even in classics, Hasbro made the line but Takara got all the props for the repaints.

Long live Hasbro!

20. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was in awe when I got ROTF Leader Prime. Pieces come out of nowhere and snap together in a intricate display of parts. Mad props to the Hasbro Designers for coming up with some seriously sick designs.