Hasbro Crossovers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Solscud007, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    NO im not talking about the piles of cow manure that is Marvel cross overs. Starwars transformers are just barely intriguing enough for me to look at.

Why hasnt Hasbro done a Gi Joe Crossover? Im sure it is a marketing issue. maybe Gi Joe is not as popular with their main demographic. But im curious to know is it really the little kids of today that are helping to fuel Hasbro by buying thier toys or is it pretty much us, the TF community that buy multiples and hunt down those toys?

either way here's hoping that the live action Gi Joe movie rejuvenates hasbro and GI Joe enough to get Gi Joe transformer toys. Like in the Devils Due comics.

I want to see a Starscream as a NightRaven. Granted the autobots were turned into cobra machines but who cares? I want to see maybe powerglide turned into a cobra rattler and a transforming hiss tank. Who wouldnt?

2. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Excuse me? Piles of cow manure? That's a bit harsh. You haven't even given reasons for why you dislike the line, and already you're pulling the 'excretive insult' card.

I don't think the answer is 'not as popular'. More along the lines of 'what's a GI Joe?' Given the Joes had that cartoon in the '80s and some comics plus some toys and that's it, the little kiddies don't really know who they are. Maybe the new movie will increase their awareness. Who knows? (Who cares? Not me)

You're kidding, right? I do recall Hasbro saying that collecters make up 10% of their sales, I think. I'm not entirely sure, but it's definitely not just our little community. Kids make up a vast majority of the sales. The exat ratio, I don't know. Someone get Kickback, he knows everything.

Me! I'd prefer Crossovers to involve characters I know. And as I know sod all about G.I. Joe, they're out of the running. They wouldn't even be considered for the first cut.

3. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Hasbro has snuck Joe vehicles into TFs the past couple years.
    Snowcats, Planes, and a few of the joe land vehicles.
    They just don't have the cobra or joe Decos.
    It's possible they may do them someday, but with the style of crossovers being mechanized characters within the line that turn into vehicles, we may not get quite what every fan wants. Since the majority of us want joe vehicles that turn into bots we know.

Hasbro is a toy company. The collectors of today were the kids of yesterday. While we enjoy the likeness and history. Kids today buy in larger quantities. Assuming there's roughly 50 collectors per city, that still way below the couple 1000 kids in that area. That's generally about the stats roughly. Give or take a few 10s. But that number is always changing as those kids grow up and either stop buying toys or become collectors. Then starts the next wave of kids though, and it repeats like that. While the collector number grows slowly, the kid numbers grow exponentially over time as they drop off. With classics, they help push the G1 media, just as the G1 media helps push them to kids. Novels, Comics, the old cartoon. Animated for the new cartoon on air. And then movie for, well, movie.

Collector's get what we want, just as kids get what they want. And hasbro cashes in both ways with all this character driven media available.

And with the current state of marvel crossovers, it may be better to wait a bit for Joe ones. Marvel ones didn't even use marvel vehicles. Just superhero robots.
    Now if they do the line, they better make a SerpentO.R. That turns into his snake chariot. With joe figure capable of riding it. Short of him, there's no others they would do 'right'. Snake Eyes motorcycle? Cobra Commander cobra vehicles etc. This is what we would see. Though some WWII german helmeted bot tanks would be interesting for a blitzwing brigade. Not much of this line could really work that well yet.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Woooooaaaaah now.......pile of cow manure that's been getting praise and recommendations.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Who wouldn't? Me. And probably the majority of collectors outside the US who've never really heard of GI Joe and don't give a toss about it.

6. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    What praises has marvel gotten? (this is not meant to be argumentative im actually curious) I just dont see how Iron man turns into a plane or wolverine into a SUV even makes sense. at least SWTF makes some sense. venom tfing into a black muscle type car is jsut plain stupid. I prefer to have some background. Is there an established world in comics or television that i am unaware of where these exist? Let alone give fruition to these ideas?

At least DDP and IDW have gone to making their own ideas. Hasbro went and made Jetfire after the Stormbringer version. Dont tell me that was for the kiddies. So since there was a comic of Gijoe vs TFs that is why I want to see those toys. And the classics line? who is that really for the kids? pfft please. But yes there are more kids than collectors. but im curious how hasbro knows who is buying their toys? Was there a study made? A survey perhaps? when was this and where was I? I really dont think every kid is going out there buying EVERY TF for their collection. Wheras there are more completists, imho.

Really? Gi Joe was not marketed outside of the US? sorry to hear that.

Oh as a suggestion for Marvel cross overs, yes it is a comic reference. Mangaverse. There were a few marvel comics made in manga style. In it Ironman had equipped the Avengers with robots that resemble their characters. Also these robots combined into a gestalt. that would be interesting to see. I cant remember if they transformed though.

7. Optimus Sledge

It sounds like you don't actually know anything about the Marvel Crossover line. You really should do some research on it before proclaiming that it's all shit.

8. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Hasbro hasn't done a GI Joe crossover because hardly anyone cares about that line anymore. Especially outside the US. I haven't even seen them here, and I don't care.

9. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    So if you think that the Marvel Crossovers are terrible, and the SWTFs aren't much better, WHY exactly do you want them to try it with G.I. Joe?

10. Optimus Sledge

And that is an excellent point.

11. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

LOL :popcorn 

Personally, I like the SWTFs... the Marvels not too much.

If they make GiJoes, I would like them to transform to the same vehicles that can fit my regular figures... a transforming FLAGG would be insane... kindof Macross MDF-like.

12. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

i'd love to see pilotable vehicals that can hold joe figures, honwever they'd have to be pretty damned large (bigger then voyagers) to not look retarded, I just don't see it ever happening, but in a perfect world it would be awesome.

13. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    SWTF are ok. just need a bit more work on making them not look like a bunch of blocks with arms.

G1Joe could work. Look at the Sigma Gijoe line. They used smaller figures for their larger vehicles. Kinda like exosquad.

Perhaps those of you who do like marvel cross overs can point me in the right direction, other than just saying "search" im willing to eat my words if I can read good legitimate commentary on the toys. Such as Animated toys at first I refused to like them, but a friend showed me the light.

What research? can you point me in the right direction? My research extends to me seeing them in the toy store. Picking up the packaging, glancing over the look and design and nope nothin'. It doesnt stand out as a toy that i want let alone look at and continue to like its design. SWTF have good alt modes but their robot modes arent winning me over. a good start but I just dont like em enough to get them.

14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I believe that GI Joe/ Transformers crossover has never happened because both lines are someof the strongest Hasbro properties, they are lucrative enough on their own, and merging them into one line could become a risk for the franchises.

Also, I hate Marvel crossovers too, they all look too kiddie for me and are too expensive.

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Funny, with most fan reviews the opinion is exactly the opposite. And it's generally agreed that the production quality of SWTFs is noticeably inferior to Marvel Crossovers. There's no middle ground with SWTFs--fans either like them or hate them. But Marvel Crossovers have overall received much more positive reviews than SWTFs.

Now, Marvel Megamorphs...those were truly "piles of cow manure." Radicons spare parts is about all they're good for.

Hmm...let's see if we can search TFW and maybe find the answer directly from Hasbro via their SDCC panel report:
    Source: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...with-pictures-from-the-hasbro-display-164757/

There you have it, direct from the horse's mouth.

I'd like to see GI Joe/TF Crossovers too, but I'm not holding my breath. I was ecstatic enough to see two of my childhood favorite toylines--Star Wars and Transformers--combined in my lifetime. It was like getting my personal childhood toy fantasy fulfilled. I think I could die happy now, except that the toys aren't that great. But the alt-modes are still nicely detailed and look good on display, and in their own way they're still a fun and clever concept even if they were poorly executed. And it was worth getting a crappy-to-mediocre toyline produced solely for the reason that it gave us the Death Star Darth Vader which is totally @#%ing awesome.

As for Marvel Crossovers--I simply like them because they're an extension of the TF franchise, and I think they're pretty cool too. And I don't really consider myself much of a Marvel fan. It's freaking DC Crossovers I really want.

16. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    hmm I dunno. maybe it is my skeptic nature but I rarely believe things that are said in public forums of exchange like this. Companies always boost their numbers and egos to the fan base. They like to dangle and mess with fans.

How could it not benefit? However if you look at the keyword "now" at the end of that sentence. I think we could see a crossover when the GiJoe movie comes out. Why is marvel so hot that it needs a cross over? because of all the awesome Marvel movies. Why did Starwars get TFs? because the movies.

If you think about it in terms of cashing in on popular trends then yes I can forsee Hasbro cashing in on GiJoe when it hits the big screen. not sooner of course because then it would be a waste. Yes the larger demographic is the kids, to them. So i can understand that they are merely waiting for the right time. its just not now.

Yes I will give SWTF that point. Darth Vader as a deathstar is awesome. Im curious if takara designed any of the SWTF or Marvel Crossovers? It just seems like crappy and lazy toy designing to me. I mean the people that can come up with MP Prime, Binaltechs, and Kawamori (creator of Macross) designed Hybrid Convoy could not be responsible for the crap job that is SWTF and Marvel Crossovers.

I dont mean to shat on the things you guys like. You like them, good for you. I just demand higher quality and design in my toys. Toys of better designs. Is that to much to ask? I truly believe that if the SWTF and MarvelTF are not done by Takara, then they would be 1000 times better if they were.

17. Optimus Sledge

There's a massive difference between "I don't want to buy this" and "This is shit." I don't want to buy My Little Ponies, but I don't go around the internet proclaiming that they're rubbish. You could start with the reviews section on this website, where you'd be able to see pictures and opinions from people who've done more than glance at them in a shop.

18. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Some who don't like Crossovers is simply because they can't swallow the idea (what? A Spider-Man transformers? It makes no sense! Why a vehicle can transform into a superhero!?). The marvel crossovers are fun with great toy engineering. They are much more than crap

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i like the star wars ones, while they are not great, and in my opinion, over priced, they are still neat concepts, and the four i own, i do enjoy playing with, and displaying.

i will probably get the marvel ones too, because i like the look of the toys, especially hulk.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Energon Snowcat is the closest we got so far...the irony is he's a decepticon.