Hasbro contacts?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by permie, Aug 28, 2009.

1. permie

permie Well-Known Member

Anyone know anyone who works at Hasbro? I'd like to work on a project with them and have no idea who to contact. I'd like to do something using Transformers obviously. :) 

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Your best bet would be to try and contact someone through the hasbro website. Whats the project, out of curiosity?

3. permie

permie Well-Known Member

I can't really divulge specifics but I've been talking with some guys about making something cool in the Transformers universe, and I think we'd want to stick with G1/classicsverse but it could really work in any of them. And it hasn't been done before with the fiction, and it works well with it.

4. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

As a Hasbro rep, you're going to have to be a little more specific...:sly2: 

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So what exactly is it you want to do? Toys? Do you want to work as a designer for Hasbro? Or do you want to do licensed merchandise? Keep in mind that Hasbro has very high quality standards (and licensing fees), so Jimbob McRandom wanting to "make something cool in the Transformers universe" probably isn't going to get very far.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, don't want to come off as a total jerk but..if you're asking people on a fan forum, it already gives me a vague idea that you don't really know what you are doing..

Just my thought, but I hope to be proven wrong. If you have something awesome, go for it.

7. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Have you worked with any other toy companies on anything else? Do you have any past products that would entice them to work with you? And lets all hope you're an adult and have some experience in business.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This reminds me of the people who contacted me years ago wanting me to give them contact info for Agetec and From Software to get their Armored Core fanfiction turned into a animated series.

9. permie

permie Well-Known Member

LOL, I hadn't realized everyone here was so "helpful".

I suppose I should leave it at that, though. I'm looking for Hasbro people, and not really interested in defending the project to people who don't even know what it is yet. If you can help me, please send a PM.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    QED, then.

11. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well your not really helping yourself here. You don't want to give away any info but at the same time you wont take advice because they don't know what it is your trying to do. And if you are just here to ask for business contacts IMO your asking the wrong people and you should be asking Hasbro.

Ok from my (very very little) experience Hasbro contact you, you don't contact them when it comes to toys, cartoons and such. When it comes to games and comics you have to apply for a licence and you can do that by asking their corporate departments and then build up a business relationship (don't just assume their going to say yes ever)

Just a warning be prepared to come up against a wall of generic e-mails. IMO if you really are professional you should go to a trade show and make these contacts yourself and be prepared to get shot down

12. permie

permie Well-Known Member

I'm not too discouraged when it comes to the application process or whatever, once I know what it is. I've never really pitched anything to them before, so I imagine there are some hoops to jump through. It's just I went to the corporate site and it seems like a big dead end. My goal is to basically see if what I'm proposing is feasible and go from there. I think it's got a lot of upside for Hasbro and fans, but I understand how protective they are of their IP, having some indirect experience working with them. Basically this is my first attempt to contact them directly and I was wondering anyone here knew anyone is all.

Clearly this site is among the heart of the fans (myself a visitor for many years) so I figured this would be a friendly place to bring the topic up. I want to protect my idea, so obviously I'm scant with the details and I can understand how annoying that is; fair enough. Please accept my apologies if I've upset you or come off as offensive in some way.

That being said; is there anyone interested in helping?

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Another issue you have to realize is that people with all sorts of "ideas" try to bombard Hasbro with product notions, all of which they can't listen to and destroy. Otherwise some fan could claim that Hasbro stole their idea if there happened to be coincidence. For this reason alone, it's usually very difficult to get a channel that would actually allow a pitch to be made from, well, a nobody. This saves them from hearing thousands of bad ideas, protects them from litigation, and serves them best as a business entity; it serves their interests to be unaproachable. They even destroy mail proposals that are sent to them as a matter of policy.

The only way you can really make a pitch to Hasbro about anything is to be part of a recognized business property, while there are people like Don or Simon who were fans hired into the comic industry and have done work with Hasbro, their contact was still through an intermediary of the comic business who had the TF license at the time.

Heck, I was part of a group that worked on a TF Tech Spec RPG for Wizards of the Coast (Way back before Car Robots aired) and the head of the development never managed to get facetime with Hasbro, instead it was a WotC employee who took our work to them.

14. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    Why can't you do what you want without using their characters names and trademarks?
    You can colour your optimus prime green and purple and call him Opsquishybob Dime.
    Can't your idea stand on its own without Hasbro's life-support?
    If your idea flies, it will be on its own merit, NOT because Hasbro allowed it.
    If your idea is good enough, they will be begging you to sell it to them.
    You'll never make any appreciable dough by the time they take their cut.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    This. There's pretty much only two ways Hasbro can listen to whatever idea you have.

1: You're a legitimate company. (And as was stated, still very unlikely.)
    2: You already work for Hasbro.

16. iconscons

Um, what? I think the OP is way off thinking Hasbro will want to work with some random Joe, but your response seems weird.

A green Opsqushybob Dime? If he wants to do some sort of fiction/cartoon this would ruin the feel. Also, some ideas can't fly too high without raising copyright flags. And I question how many times Hasbro will "beg" someone for some transformer idea/product...since they already own the rights to transformers products.

Sorry, but your post seems a little mean-spirited in the sense you seem to bash his "project" rather than the chance Hasbro will even listen/care.

17. iconscons

^This

18. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    So if I wrote five 13 episode seasons of a TF cartoon and asked Hasbro is they wanted to make into an animated series there's a 99.9% chance they wouldn't? Aw man there goes the last four years of my life

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I need to change my hasbro contacts. They're getting dry.