Hasbro Collectors Line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bob 121, May 22, 2014.

1. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

Why do you guys think Hasbro hasn't made a (nostalgia based) collectors line? And by that I dont mean CHUG, I mean something high end, such as the Masterpiece line. I knew we have Hasbro MP releases here, but they're not designed by Hasbro, they're just tweaked to fit mainly the US's toy safety laws. And whatever other liberties they want to throw on the character.

But I've been thinking, there are a lot of Collector lines for old tv shows/cartoons, and toylines now. A few western examples are MOTUC and the TMNT Classics. So why hasn't Hasbro shoved some designers together and tried to get in on THAT market? Give a small team a high budget for their figures and shove them in the new Hasbro MP line. Or is them importing only one new MP figure a year + a seeker enough? I'm sure they're not oblivious to how well MPs sell out.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The Masterpiece line is our collector's line, I'm not sure what else we can expect from Hasbro besides more MP releases ... which we're already getting.

Hasbro and Takara are partners, they'll continue to operate in partnership to determine which figures can be designed and marketed in both markets. There's nothing wrong with that.

My sense of time could be wrong, but are we not getting more than one MP figure a year already (not sure why you separated Seekers from that either)?

In the past year-year and a half we've gotten Optimus Prime, Thundercracker, Soundwave with all 4 cassettes, and Acid Storm. Grimlock has once again been released and Prowl will follow closely (along with Sunstorm this year too).

Not sure what else Hasbro could do to tap into the high end collector's market.

3. SureShotSniper

SureShotSniper What?!

News Credits:
    I can think of 3 lines that were "collector" directed. Commemorative series (reissues), Alternators and masterpieces.

4. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I'd throw Generations into that list. They make new figures of characters that haven't been seen since the 80s; I don't see how that's not a collector line.

5. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    3 posts in and this tread is owned

6. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Platinum series too

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Classics and all its iterations is definitely equally aimed at Collectors and children alike.

Masterpieces continue to be released somewhat steadily.

Once a year there's a collector-oriented convention with exclusive toys.

Alternators and G1 Reissues were aimed directly at collectors and the burned. Hard.

Hasbro could easily give us the finger and do away with Generations and Masterpieces. Some days with this whiny self-entitled fandom I wish they would.

8. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Add to that:

1st Editions
    SDCC Exclusives (and other 'con' exclusives)
    Retailer specific exclusives

I say we are doing pretty good overall. Plus we do have access to Takara and 3rd party.

Edit: partially ninja'd

9. Bob 121

It will hit 2 years or JUST under by the time all those MPs are released that you stated.

I'll give you alternators, but I wasn't asking about G1 reissues, I was talking about new lines. You dont see many, if any toylones getting away with reissues as a collectors line. I cant think of a single one doing this and making a good profit.

Because its targeted at kids. Otherwise it probably wouldn't say ages 5+ on the box.

Overall I'm just saying Hasbro is wasting ALOT of potential by not at least attempting to make thier own MP figures.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Then buy the Takara releases. Problem solved.

11. Bob 121

I do, but I thought it would be nice for the people who dont to have access to Hasbro designed MPs, while the TT people could double dip and finish up their collections faster. It might even help solve the problem of things like the people who waited for a Hasbro Sideswipe and got screwed.

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

They'd be wasting A LOT of money if they did.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to see Hasbro offer things that Takara wouldn't, for whatever reasons. I'm saying that, for the returns it would bring in, a Hasbro-produced MP line wouldn't be worth the expense.

Which would draw in more money - a limited-release run of a toy that's already been created and, at most, would need slight retools for a stateside release due to safety and/or licensing reasons; or creating a brand-new toy from scratch, building the prototype, creating the mold, and then releasing the same limited run of that toy?

13. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Takara Tomy do a lot more collector oriented stuff because the kid market is declining in Japan.

For Hasbro's market needs, the real money will ALWAYS be in selling stuff to kids. For their needs, Hasbro (through making Generations collector oriented, but kid-safe) basically grabs money from BOTH markets with far less investment than a theoretical MP line would require.

And again, via MP or Generations, Transformers fans are already probably better served than practically any other mass market toy fandom out there right now.

14. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    1) Money.

2) You'd hate it anyway.

15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Bob, please don't give Hasbro any ideas! Seriously, the last thing I want is Hasbro dipping their balls in the MP cake. You've seen the AoE line! It takes designers like Hasui and Kobayashi, brilliant engineers, true artists, and passionate G1 fans, to create gems for the MP line. It's bad enough Hasbro imports their works of art and pisses on them with goofy decos. Hasbro's best left "reimagining" characters for the CHUG line. I think figures like Metroplex are the best you can hope for. Size aside, he wasn't exactly a homerun.

16. Steevy Maximus

News Credits:
    You DO realize Takara worked on Metroplex, don't you?

17. Bob 121

I'm sure it would be less profitable than what they're doing now, but I don't think it would lose them any money. Plus I figured maybe once in a while some designers at Hasbro might want to go nuts and actually make something they could really be proud of, instead of half of the stuff they pump out for kids. I could be wrong though.

I get what you're saying, but I think Hasbro has potential to make the right molds if they tried. Or at least they used to a few years back. The thing about CHUG is that they're not going for exact G1 replicas. I think a lot of the big budget movie figures proved that they can make a design that's spot on if they have the resources and willpower.

18. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Except Hasui was explicitly pulled for the AoE line, as well as previous movie figures. And Hasbro has no G1 fans, clearly, that's why two of the US designers showcased deliberately referenced what big fans they were. And goofy decos? What exactly was so goofy about the decos brought over? Acid Storm would never have sold as a straight G1 green repaint, Optimus is seen as a 50/50 for being more accurate, Soundwave is great...YOTH Prime is random but fun, and Thundercracker is not 100% accurate but good enough. These are toys, and yes, while they are masterpieces of engineering and design, that doesn't mean Hasbro changing some of the decos (and only coming up with a whopping TWO unusual decos out of the 14 total) is somehow pissing on the designs. Actually, MP-3 Starscream's Hasbro version was more accurate.

And while I'm not a "Hasbro defender" or whatever I'll instantly be labeled for having said any of this, I'm not gonna lie, this sort of attitude is kind of distasteful. You might like Takara, and that's fine. I like Takara stuff too. Doesn't mean I can afford a lot of it, or hardly any MPs in general. I still want them, and it's a lot easier for me to get the Hasbro MPs. So why is it so bad that they import them and release them to the wider US audience? Why does releasing a toy deserve such hostile response?

19. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    For someone who complains alot this is saying something . Hasbro is trying to look out for us g1 guys they are trying .Lots of collector stuff .go to tru just bring lots of money

20. Steevy Maximus

News Credits:
    That kind of answers the thread, doesn't it? Why would Hasbro go through the effort to create their own MP line, when Generations largely does what they need it to, fans are generally happy with it, and at a higher profit margin than another line might provide? Hasbro is, after all, a FOR PROFIT company.

And I think you are VERY wrong on your view of the Hasbro designers, especially considering Hasbro's primary market IS kids. It certainly wasn't collectors that made Armada and the movie series the successes they were.

But replicate WHICH G1? The toy? Or the Cartoon? On top of that, could they justify (much less get) vehicle licenses? Is all that effort worth it for the end product? And if Takara is already churning out MPs, then why should Hasbro expend the extra resources on more MPs.

And that all ignores simple market issues: A given MP is going to be smaller, but cost more than even the high end of their mass market lines (Grimlock is $60 vs $45 for a given Leader, and isn't as big). And given TRU has been the ONLY store to reliably carry MPs to begin with, there really doesn't seem to be much interest from other retailers to carry them to begin with, lowering the order volume and, again, raising the question whether the sales would justify the cost over what Hasbro gets from Generations.