Hasbro closes deal with Discovery, rebranded network to premiere in late 2010

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, May 23, 2009.

1. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    :confused: 

*Brain hurts from trying to understand that*

And G.I.Joe. It's not like Hasbro's only IP is Transformers.

-airfox

2. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    This is not news.

3. Emperor Zarak

Emperor Zarak Decepticon Emperor

News Credits:
    *reserves judgement till results are shown*

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What's all this "we don't need a darker series" BS? Speak for yourself.

Maybe they could have a late night block of programming like Adult Swim and fill ALL wants. Kiddie stuff during the day, and serious adult stuff at night. They'll have a whole channel to fill. Who knows WHAT they will do.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  5. ease

ease HIPHOPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting...I'll keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best.

6. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking forward to seeing the Glo Friends again!

They're always bright and cheerful...

Except when the fearful Moligans appear.

7. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Do you know anything about the Discovery Channel? They are not anything like Turner Broadcasting.

Why does everyone assume they will fill this KIDS channel with 100% HASBRO programming and will have an ADULT block? Go look at all the channels Discovery does. That is not what they do. At night they re-run educational programming.

Anyone who expects DISCOVERY KIDS, the company who will have the primary control and experience in broadcasting, attached to a company DISCOVERY who has like 15 channels of education, family friendly programming is somehow going to end up making a 24 hour Transformers channel with original TF programming on day 1 of the channel's launch with an adult-oriented animation block at night is *DELUSIONAL*. It is not reality... And the constant droning on about how we are going to get "Transformers: Buckets of blood" as Discovery Kids first series is absurd. They will need YEARS of viable success in the target demographic before they can even hope to expand resources to develop NEW ADULT PROGRAMMING on a network meant for kids... Cartoon network took years for them to begin even trying to do that.

I do not want an adult transformers and I do not want an adult programming block on discovery kids, mainly because I live in the real world and I don't expect companies to make harmful decisions to please me personally, especially when I am not their primary focus.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Well, please explain. I don't mean to be rude, but that statement confuses the hell out of me.

And there's one advantage to this if this network does end up being the new home of TF: they probably would treat it like crap like CN has been doing for the last few years.

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nobody knows, but it doesn't have to be GRIMDARK HURRR AUTOBUTT BLOODZ!!1 to be a good series.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm not assuming they will do anything, and unless you're on the development board for this NEW channel you can't say either way.

Nobody knows.

11. nkelsch

So using the years of Discovery's current history and how they operate all their channels and their core focus and values as a guide to what they will do in the future isn't allowed?

So I think people CAN say either way from Discovery's own actions and words and past history.

Or we can believe that against all of Discovery's core values and past experience and success with Family-oriented programming, they are going to abandon all of that and the first thing they will do with a KIDS network is make an ADULT programming block and spend money on ADULT original programming.

One position is based on reality and the other is based on selfish delusional wishes that are not based any form of truth or facts.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    New channel, new ideas, new merger. It's up in the air. Anything is possible whether you like it or not.

13. nkelsch

Nope, not actually. Discovery has a very static and strong programming message and company philosophy. Hasbro didn't buy half of Discovery, they bought half of one of 17 channels in an international network seen all over the world.

This channel will never have an adult-swim block ever. Discovery does not do that type of work, it is against thier core values and everything they stand for.

We will be *LUCKY* to get original Hasbro programming for the end of 2010 let alone a full adult-focused programming block with original adult-focused hasbro programming.

Or you can continue to believe this will be the 24 hour transformer rerun and adult mature transformers network. Tutenstein and romper room will get much more reruns than Robots in Disguise or beast wars.

I wonder if the GiJoe fandom is sitting around going "Awesome, a 24 hour GIJOE network with GIJOE RESOLUTE as a brand new show!"

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Regardless, I'll stay optimistic for a little serious adult cartoon-type programming. Just because you claim it can't happen doesn't make me any less hopeful.

15. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    "Do not want".... such a strong feeling. :) 

I don't expect it, but I do want it. And I suppose you do to.

Exactly.

-airfox

16. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Wel, whatever awesome show they dream up in time for this channel to launch, it will most likely just get shit canned when TF3 rolls into theaters... :( 

17. nkelsch

I'll just let the head of Discovery and the CEO of Hasbro claim it won't happen.

18. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:

LOL

SO true.

Sad but true.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Which they didn't. Hell, it wouldn't even matter if they did, as channels and programming can evolve and change over time. You can give up trying to kill hope, it's not going to happen and I have no reason to take your word for it, since last I heard you have nothing to do with the channel and aren't involved in the decision process.

P.S. "Buckets of blood" isn't required to make an adult-themed show, if that's your point. I'm not expecting anything like that, nor am I expecting them to put out any adult-themed programming day one.

Hope abounds!

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  20. nkelsch

So pretty much when they tell exactly what kind of programing they intend to do, you take that to mean that they are going to do all the programming styles they explicitly don't say they won't do? That is called delusional not hope.