Hasbro "Cheaped Out" on certain extra parts' in transformations

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tycho, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Look at Ratchet: that overhead tire carrier and supply rack just comes off and he holds it like a stretcher that probably wouldn't even support Bumblebee if it was needed for actual use. It was too hard to make that piece seperable with each of Ratchet's legs as he transformed? How about some kind of fire power in one of his forearms, too? In the movie he had a machine gun cannon.

Ironhide's pretty decent, however, maybe smaller guns that concealed in his arms could have been done? I don't think I should nitpick Ironhide that much.

Jazz's extra weapons (either version) are totally extra parts! Thumbs down. On Alternators, they creatively made a fuel tank transform into "Meister's" cannon, so all the parts were always with him.

BumbleBee's like perfect, so we'll leave him out of this. (2008 version).

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    People bitch about NO extra parts/weapons/accessories, people bitch about HAVING extra parts/weapons/accessories, I guess you can't please everybody all the time.

There's no "cheaping out". Cheaping out is not giving leader megs a proper paint job.

I don't understand how it's "cheap" to take a part like the roof rack and instead of molding it into the vehicle, you make it an accessory. That's like - anti-cheap, it takes more work to do.

I don't agree at all.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dunno. Seems kinda nit-picking to me. I think most would agree the engineering for the movie toys are extremely well done, even if you don't like the designs. I think complaining about the weapons and accessories is a bit excessive, as most TFs have always had them that have not blended in as normal parts of a vehicle/beast.

Also, kinda tough to compare a movie deluxe to an alternator, as there is more size, detail, etc. Where would you hide Jazz's weapons? His trunk becomes a shield, which is pretty cool. Otherwise, don't agree with your point.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yep.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, sorry... not really fealing your arguement here.

Ironhide's large guns that don't go into his arms are totally accurate to the movie (because that's how they were).

As for the other's... it sounds like massive nitpicking and they went the extra mile to even bother packing in accessories with the figures. Like everyone else said... that's the exact opposite of cheap...

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ratchet's stretcher thing also makes nice wings on his back, which is how I attach it. I recall that the reason the gun was left off was something to do with cost - If Hasbro had done that, something else would have been engineered differently.

Mostly though I also don't agree. Hasbro did their best to make these figures something special, granted Jazz can't store his weapon but if he had, it would have made him suffer in some other way.

7. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Ratchets truck top accessory on his back (light bar side up) is also more movie Akur8 as it supplies the extra metal frame work he shows in the proto pics.

Also, keep in mind that Hasbro had a deadline to get the toys out in the stores whereas the CGI design team made changes way past this deadline. So up to a point, if you really feel like you have a leg to stand on (and I don't feel you do) you can blame the movie designers.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ratchet and Ironhide have heads, which beats G1.

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I want rubber tires.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I don't think Hasbro necessarily "cheaped out" on anything, but I do think they rushed some of the movie figure designs. In my personal opinion, Voyager Ironhide and Deluxe Jazz & Barricade could have been done MUCH better. In alt mode, Ironhide is awesome, but in bot mode, he's a floppy mess with limited articulation that barely looks like his movie version outside of being black. Save for being oversized, Jazz looks *decent* in alt mode, but the add-on weapon kills it a bit. In bot mode, he's like the polar opposite of his movie version. Instead of being sleek & slender, he's stubby & fat... also with limited articulation and possibly THE worst "hands" I've seen on a TF. Barricade is fantastic in alt mode, but everything about his bot mode is just awful imo.

Besides those points, I think Hasbro really dropped the ball where a lot of coloring & size classes are concerned. Bonecrusher should have been at least a Voyager or Leader size as opposed to the tiny Deluxe that we got. Starscream probably could have been a Leader size as well, but more than anything, his colors should have been done properly out of the starting gate - not months later as a limited edition "Deep Space" accurately colored store exclusive. Blackout is another one that should have been at least a Leader size, especially since Brawl got the upgraded treatment. And of course his blue coloring should have been more grey. But the biggest screw-up of all - as most people have been pointing out since it was released - is Leader Megatron. Not only does his toy design barely resemble his movie design at all, but his colors are so completely off the mark that it almost seems like an entirely different character.

That said, I think Voyager Ratchet is one the best movie figures, though being colored properly would have helped a lot. Leader Prime is SO cool in both modes that I can forgive it being much fatter in bot mode than it should be and lacking any silver/chrome paint. Deluxe Bumblebee 08 is sheer perfection in both modes, and Leader Brawl is as good as it gets.

Overall the core Autobots range from passable to perfect, but the core Decepticons are a total crap shoot where quality & accuracy is concerned. Hopefully we'll see more attention to detail for the TF2 figures, or better yet, newer & updated versions of the current cast throughout 2008.

11. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    I really think they did the best they could with Blackout, considering that they had to make a narrow helicopter into a bulky robot. I'd rather have an undersized Voyager than an undersized Leader.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hasbro did there best. Ya know, if you shave off the notch that's on the base of Ratchet's thingie, you can put it pointing up on his back open with the lights resting on the tires. It makes it better looking and more movie-accurate.

Where's Kickback when you need him?

Even though they did, but they were very flat heads. It's not hard to beat G1 with today's technology.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Foster wins the thread.

14. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I really agree with Incepticon's post.

No one should misunderstand me too much. I like most of the movie toys - there are only 4 I won't yet buy as I want better versions first. But I got back into Transformers because of Alternators and Masterpieces, so my expectations are a little high from being spoiled.

Hasbro can still make a LC Blackout and Bonecrusher. Starscream at that size is surely a given for 2009 and TF2 so I'm not too worried about him - just that the arms and legs should seal up inside the F-22 jet so that it looks like an Air Force plane and not RoboTech.

LC Megatron needs an almost all-black repaint and I'd buy him.

I totally agree that LC Brawl and 2008 Deluxe BumbleBee are about perfect!

Jazz might only barely edge out Barricade for the worst hands. Jazz's complications start with his weakly transformed forearms. Barricade could have had one more joint on each hand to fold back his taillight / bumper area on either side, leaving only parts that look more like human hands. Finally, Hasbro might have given Barricade another weapon, but Frenzy's a very cool and appropriate accessory. Jazz could still have had a tailpipe or snap-on drive shaft, fuel tank (like Alt Meister) and that would extend to be his weapon. No more cost than what Hasbro gave him in the first place - just a bit more "Transformer" if you will.

Yes, LC Optimus Prime is rather bulky as a bot and perhaps 2 to 4 more hinges somewhere would have further resolved that, but he's really pretty good and an ingenius transformation! I'd actually have liked a little more spending on his sound effects instead. Do you know how much I'd loved that thing if it said one line by Peter Cullen? Sad but true.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My opinions on the figs mentioned:

LC Prime is fine. He's not bulky, just compared to the overly elongated and slender legs combined with the smaller arms of the movie render he appaers bulky as he is regularly or "traditionaly" porportioned more like a human. His gun is cool, and removable. Even unattached he still has a hidden cannon.

LC Megs is damn near perfect. Except for the blue. The silver itself is not bad at all, but the blue spray just totally ruins the colours. (The pink spikes didn't help) That's why I repainted mine. His alternate mode is by far the best one Megs has ever had IMO. The only one that comes neck and neck is ENG Megs'. The mace and cannon are win, though I took mine off to use on other projects. 9hich I kinda regret.

LC Brawl is close to perfect. More secure leg kibble and better feet would make him a masterpeice grade. Awesome weapons, too.

Concept BB is far from perfect, but the best you can expect from a deluxe sized TF. Rotating thighs and arms that could bend past 90 degrees would ooze win.

Jazz is great for what you paid for. He's the only figure where I would prefer he be smaller, though. His weapon is fine, based on his very early sword design.

Barricade... mmm, my least favorite 'Con in the movie. Way over-rated, but the figure is kinda cool. Frenzy is uber cool, but needs more posability.

Hasbro did an awesome job with the movie line. Best mainline since RID,.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

IMO this is very unlikely. 3 original LC molds(not counting repaints) is generally Joe Q publics tolerence for high end Transformers. Leader class aren't the big sellers, and the signs point to Hasbro trying to phase them out slowly.

17. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I think Hasbro did well for having to produce the toys before the movie designs were finalized. Plus the movie did cheat a little on the parts.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Only on the inside stuff. And only because that's the general rule of thumb for 3D animation. "Cheating" is pretty much everywhere in 3D animation, because it looks better.

19. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

That's a muffler, not a fuel tank. :) 

My two biggest problems with the movie line are the scale issues and the under-production/distribution problems. I still haven't seen Bumblebee restocked and have never seen a concept BB in stores.

I'd love to see some Alternator/Masterpiece movie figures with better movie accuracy and rubber tires.

All in all, for what it is, the movie toy line isn't too bad.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you especially with regards to the scale of some of the toys. For example, Blackout could/should have been leader-class.