hasbro and repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by awesomem131, Jul 6, 2010.

1. awesomem131

awesomem131 Well-Known Member

do you guys get tired of repaints i personally buy them because some paint combinations are good but some are a waste of money the most prominent example to me is when they released the allspark power subline for the first tfmovie and the only difference was that in some areas the transformers were blue (jazz)and it was frustrating so this is two threads in one 1.how do you guys feel about hasbro repainting toys and redistributing them 2. if they released a devastator repaint and called it bruticus maximus would you buy it?

2. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    depends really.....I love prime recolored as nemesis but hate it as um....otherwise I agree and most of the repaints are lazy and poorly done.

(I'm assuming this includes remolds too?)

3. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

If I really like the mold and it's not too expensive, I'll likely purchase the repaints. It would also depend on the paint scheme and my fondness of the character in question.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It depends. If it's a new character, I'm all over it. But your example of Bruticus from Devastator is something that Hasbro would never do. When they do repaints, they pick repaints that work.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    At Botcon we saw that Hasbro is designing alternate heads for any of their deluxe molds, so a second release of the mold is a new character. I think that will help a lot when it comes to convincing fans to buy a repaint.
    Which Devastator do you mean? The legends or the giant hundred dollar one?

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *facepalm*

I disagree. I love all "repaints." Every time Hasbro redecos something they've sold me another figure. I can't get enough of them. Heck, I don't understand why they'd remold anything. I prefer to get a bunch of figures that are exactly the same, but in different colors. It's even better when they are the same exact character! For instance, I just love what they are doing with Movie BB. It's so much fun to track them all down!

Except for Seekers. They just keep putting out those molds with different colors and trying to convince us that they are all totally different characters? LAME, Hasbro. Way to fail. Clearly, only common decency has prevented you from sinking to the depths of releasing Sunstorm, Slipstream, and Action Master Thundercracker from that Classics mold.

(In case you haven't figured it out, I am a Shattered Glass Transformers collector!)

7. awesomem131

awesomem131 Well-Known Member

i mean both

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It really depends, mostly on the nature of the repaint. For example, I'd almost always buy a Cliffjumper redeco of Bee because he's a separate character, but I really wouldn't be very inclined to buy a Stealth Bumblebee. Some redecos they do are also interesting, like Breakaway into Thrust.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
  10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hence my quotation marks above. Even my mirrorverse self is that savvy!

11. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

I will buy redecos if they're of a mold I really like, are in colors superior to the initial version or if their character warrants it (Skywarp, Silverstreak, etc). I'm not really gung-ho about every redeco, but for some molds I feel like I (and HasTom) go overboard. I have 5 versions of the G1 Prowl mold, for instance, and 10 seeker jets.

I'll also buy any redeco that's predominantly orange and black. Everyday is halloween.

I feel like now that I've been collecting a few years I'm more savvy about it. I'll occasionally hold off on buying a figure if I hate the colors because it's basically inevitable it will be redeco'd at some point. Although I am still waiting on a hot pink Backstop...

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll keep buying repaints if it's a mold I like. If it's a crappy mold I have a hard time holding onto the initial paint.

I have no problems with repaints because it's the nature of the business. Even Fansproject started down that path with their Commander and Crossfire 1 series.

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I usually will only buy a repaint if I like it a lot better than the original and I didn't know there were plans to repaint/recolor when I bought the original.

..or if they're Seekers or Coneheads :D 

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I only usually buy redecos if it's either one that REALLY appeals to me, is significantly altered (a new head is the absolute minimum for this) or uses a mould I missed first time around. Other than that, I skip them.

15. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i lvoe repaitns, evne the oens are a waste, lol lol lol,

Rly

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I usually don't buy the redecos too often. The only ones I do always buy are seeker redecos of Starscream and autobot Cars that make sense like Prowl, Silverstreak and Smokescreen. I will be getting Grapple as well.

Other then that I usually only buy the version of the toy I like most. Example, I will be skipping Drift and getting Blurr.

17. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like redecos, in some cases moreso than the original deco (eg, Crasher > Mirage, Universe Starscream > Classics SS being two examples).

I'm less keen on the 'same character' redecos we've had in the movie and Animated lines, eg Stealth Bumblebee, Atomic Lugnut. By being the same character they feel a bit lazy, with the possible exception of the RiD car brothers as all 3 moulds were given really nicely detailed repaints.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    The flood of Bumblebee repaints/retools/redecos/whatever are annoying. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if Hasbro really thinks we'll buy every single toy they spit out. Sure, they've gotta make money, but parents won't buy the more naive younger kids every Bumblebee with a different stripe pattern they find.

Occasionally, Hasbro does make a good repaint, and wins my vote. Some of the repaints I've gotten are Animated Skywarp and Shockwave, a Cliffjumper, people like that. Usually depends on the colors and if I like em or not, or if the character is important enough for me to get one.

19. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whether I buy a repaint depends on two things.

1.) How much it costs. Deluxes I am likely to buy, leaders not so much.

2.) If it is actually a new character I am much more interested in it. I don't get excited for Battle Damage Night Watch Desert Optimus Prime. But if it creates a new character like the seekers or Cliffjumper or something I am all over it even without remolding.

If neither of these conditions are met I will most likely not buy it.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Do I like Repaints in general- Yes.

Do I think all repaints Hasbro's ever made are a good idea - No.

Do I think some repaints are superior to the original color scheme - Yes.

Others are just cynical cash in's though such as the excess of Ravage and Bumblebee.

I'd rather they made another repaint of a mold I was not sick to death of like some from 2007 or 2008.

Some repaints I actively encourage such as as many Decepticon Strike Plane characters as possible.

Given a choice i'd like at least 3 War for Cybertron Starscream colors.

I'd like Cybertron Voyager Starscream's mold as Thundercracker, Ramjet, and as Sunstorm... and having seen that new Legends recolor that in a bigger scale would be nice too.

I'd like a Repaint of NEST Ravage as Rollbar (like the RPM car).

And I'd not mind if they did the 2010 Battle Blade Bumblebee as Stealth Bumblebee and the 2011 spoliered version as Cliffjumper. I'd prefer that to endless repaints of Bumblebee that are 85% or more identical.

And that's just the tip of the Iceburg, I'd have prefered they had made an Animated Perceptor toy for the Generations line and sold the Cybertron Defense Red Alert mold as Classics Perceptor instead.

Heck I'd actively welcome a lot of G1 character to be made out of Cybertron and Energon molds as store exclusives or as a small subline.