hasbro and henkei

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exclusacon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Now I have been a fan all my life...but I just got back into collecting (late 2008) after a 20 years lay off....So I know little about henkei ( I know that some figures are superior than hasbro)...but my question is this...Its seems hasbro and henkei takes turn releasing same items...Is this true?...I know hasbro and takara are basically the same company...
    I just want know have everything been release by both companies eventually....

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Henkei is the Hasbro Classics line that Takara reissued with all new decos a few years later.

With a few exceptions like Alert,Dirge and Thrust.

3. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I don't getcha

4. exclusacon

News Credits:
    I guess what I'm trying say is...like red alert was release henkei first...now it will be hasbro turn...
    Its seems like eventually they will sell the same figure...hopes that help

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    hasbro because i cant afford henkei.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Hasbro = Awesome affordable figures.

Takara = The same awesome figures with random chrome bits that will cost you over twice as much at times.

7. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Does the chrome really matters

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Not really, they usually make the weapons chrome, but sometimes it can be very randomly placed.

Also, chrome paint is easier to scratch.

9. Cliffjumper1978

Cliffjumper1978 Well-Known Member

The chrome just looks out of place most of the time. There are a few exceptions (Astrotrain for example), but for the most part, I prefer the Hasbro figures to the Henkei ones

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So far that has been the case except for the store exclusive repaints (Walmart Powerglide being the exception). However it can take years for some to be released in the other market. For example Henkei Alert was release in 2008 I believe and it's only getting a release this year in the US. Likewise with the Henkei store exclusives Thrust and Dirge.

So I guess the short answer is yes for the most part, but lots of patience is required.

11. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Cuz it seems like ooverseas figures are getting US treatment....I notice people selling their henkei version to get then buying the hasbro version...I can't justify paying double or triple the price for the same...

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would suggest checking out this thread first. The Henkei figures have a lot more than just chrome pieces to offer. In general, the Henkei line is more faithful to the original G1 Toys and Cartoon series.

Plus, it really sucks you just started collecting the Classics line because your paying secondary market prices for all the Henkei/Classics figures. The deluxe class Henkei figures cost 30 bucks a few years ago but now since they are so hard to come by, that figure has jumped. Check out tfsource, they have a couple of cheap henkei figures like prowl and Bluestreak.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/191530-henkei-vs-universe-pictorial-comparisons-warning-lots-pictures.html

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The chrome is part of the homage, on toys like Mirage and Sunstreaker. They shouldn't have applied it to the entire Henkei line though.

14. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    only you can answer that question...young samari...does the chrome shine call out to you?

if yes ...henkei is for you...if no chrome attachment...then go the hasbro route..

15. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Really wouldn't call the chrome on a vast majority random, and I would also say that the Henkei have significantly superior paint apps and color schemes than their Classics/Universe counterparts. I do however prefer the Generations Thrust and Dirge over the Henkei versions, Hasbro really stepped up the detail on the painting this time around.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yes and no. The '06 "Classics" line was just a filler line because of the first movie's delay. Near the tail end of the movie's promotion, Hasbro picked back up on the "Classics" styled figures for the Universe line. Since Hasbro was going back to those homage figures, Takara seemed to have decided to take it a step further and give those figures, both the '06 and '08 molds, generally cartoon-accurate paint decos and release the line for a Japanese release.

So yes, it took two years for the '06 Classics figures to see release in Japan. But much of the '08 figures saw release in Japan maybe months apart from their North American release, or in some cases before like Red Alert.
    That clearly has nothing to do with the OP's post. Try reading the thread through.
    I would hardly call the chrome applications "random." Go look at pictures of the G1 figures.

Also, for a MSRP in Japan at between $20 and $25 you're getting a figure that typically has more paint applied to it than a typical Hasbro release, chrome applications, and you have to take into account that Henkei figures are collectible items meant for display and not children's toys to be played with.

17. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Well-Known Member

It's been my impression that the Henkei toys click together better than the Hasbro release, and also are much tighter overall. Also, you get a trading card, and manga. (But the reissue Hound came with Alert's manga instead of his...grrrr...) I prefer the Henkei versions to the Hasbro ones - just seem prettier to me, and I'm a sucker for shiny stuff. But they are more expensive, hence why I only have 4 of them. :D 

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    hasbro and takaratomy are not the same company, they just collaborate with the creation of transformers, just letting you know

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have only 1 Henkei figure, and it was because i got a sweet deal on it. Henkei Megatron.
    he looks awesome.

as for the rest, i don't really see the fuss over the Henkei line. now that we are getting the seekers and Red Alert, i can afford the previously Henkei exclusives.
    and i am hoping Hasbro releases a U.S. version of Ratchet, too because the mold ain't worth the import price.

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Buy a few more and you will be hooked. As far as Red Alert goes, the colors on it just pop, and when he is next to Hasbro Inferno and Ratchet, makes them look dull. The sharper colors are what draws me to the Henkei line, although I only have about 15 at this point. Henkei Hound, Red Alert, Prime, Megs, Astrotrain, and the seekers are all a must for me (although as I stated before, Hasbro seems to have improved their detailing on the generations Thrust and Dirge).

As far as a Hasbro release of Ratchet, we have already got one. I think it is a little rare since it was at the end of the line (not sure though, cause I saw him quite a bit), but he did get a release.