hasbro and 3rd Party (FP)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kenm2474, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Do you think that anyone from Hasbro has purchased any of FPs products and said "Now that's a really nice design" or "That's how he should really look".

2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I know Hasbro would use the excuse that for them to offer a set like this would not be cost productive.....yadda....yadda. They would rather use the same limbs repainted to save money.

3. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wouldn't suprirse me. The whole thing about fansproject and the 3rd parties is that they're making things aimed at a collector's crowd that's willing to spend a lot of money. Hasbro is aiming to sell as many kids to little children as they can. No parent in their right mind is going to spend 50 bucks to buy a voyager sized figure and some kibble. The 3rd parties (and funpublications at that) can also bypass safety regulations as these are designated not as toys, but adult collectibles. This way they can avoid all sorts of choking restrictions etc etc.

I'm sure the Has/Tak designers have a whole lot of better ideas they could do, but unfortunately have to comply with both business restrictions and safety restritions.

4. Bruticus11

Bruticus11 White Elephant Hunter

Ebay:
    They should. But i doubt it

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think it goes to show how aweosme teh Has/Tak engineers are they they can make amazing figures within the saftey guidelines and budget.

And no, I don't think Hasbro cares about the third party stuff in that way. Nor should they. Very few of these "third party" figures are that impressive or durable.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really see a difference... FP like Takara Tomy can throw out figures with sharp edges, etc but Hasbro can't because of US laws so the figures must be neutered. If FP wanted to be within the law, just round all those edges and its ready to go.

Personally... I think people are giving Hasbro to much credit. Takara has always been the driving force behind Transformers.... The real question should be "Has Takara Tomy's engineers purchased any Fansproject items".

Hasbro licenses transformers.... Takara engineers them for the most part.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Eric Siebenaler owns a City Commander. You can see it on his desk in a photo in the back of the Allspark Almanac vol. 2, chilling out next to Powermaster Prime.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This is inaccurate, almost to the point of being an urban myth. Hasbro and Takara spend an equal amount of manpower on the designing and engineering. And Takara is -not- the driving force. Takara generally aims their Transformers at an even younger audience than Hasbro (which is the reason why the Unicron Trilogy cartoons were so friggin bad, because the UT was made for Japanese audiences, and Animated, a cartoon produced in America, was much more well done). Aside from making things like the Masterpiece line, Transformers are much less widespread in Japan than over here, due to the fandom over there being smaller and thus, there's less for Takara to do and/or cater to.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure some of them may have G3 and City Commander, maybe even Warbot Defender or the Maximus upgrades. Beyond that, doubtful.

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    This is obvious also...if hasbro /takara did care...they would pursue these companies via legal channels to protect their intellectual property rights if they believed they were threatened or in a way could be damaged by third party products...all third party products do is bring free publicity to characters of the transformers franchise...

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I'm sure that some of the people that work there are collectors. As such, I'm sure some of them have bought the 3rd party stuff they like.

12. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's all fine and dandy until some kid loses an eye because City Ommander broke and a shard of plastic got exposed... and the media blames Hasbro.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'd bet someone from Hasbro owns a 3rd party figure. I know if I worked for Hasbro I still would be a collector.

14. Doc Pirahna

Doc Pirahna Well-Known Member

Perhaps Hasbro buys all the 3rd party releases to make molds of them and then reproduce them for sale to mass market thus ruining any 3rd party companes chance of profiting off of them.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That doesnt make any sense.

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Maybe the first round of third party toys were sub-par but the last couple of sets I have purchased have been rather high quality. Sure the feel is different, but I've not had any issues.

Hasbro and TakaraTomy do care about their IP rights, that's why the more legit third party companies skirt names and concepts so well. Sure we say the Springer toy, but that's Warbot Defender, or Ultra Magnus, but that's City Commander. Even the bios that get written are cleverly written so that you know what they're talking about, but don't use any names of anything that's been used before. Explorer and Munitioner do a very close job of it, but they don't cross that line.

17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Do Hasbro employess own thrid party toys? YES. I know for a fact. It only makes sense to utilize what ever resources you can when trying to figure out the collector community. Also, don't think for a moment that if a third party did cross the line they would be right up their butts! I am sure they also look at quality for a number of reasons including if the item could cause problems they would be all over that. It only makes sense.

18. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    I have no idea about this equal amount of manpower on the designing and engineering relationship.
    For many years I've heard and read from interviews about how Takara engineers talking about their designs got disapproved by Hasbro staff many times since day 1 and running low on funding with no backup at the end before they hit the jackpot. I don't really see much Hasbro staff in action until transmorphers and friends, Bayformers showed up.
    Well I guess re-engineer the existing toys for non-Japan countries safety guidelines may count as work in some way.

19. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

In some cases, it's another toy that uses a TF as the central piece. I'd be surprised if some of the bigger name stuff isn't at Hasbro or Takara on someone's desk.

I would imagine that, from a business standpoint, they'd have at least one of everything to ensure it all stays within the legal limits anyway. They do have an IP to protect, best idea would be to acquire 3rd party TF toys and make sure they check out.

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Also, let's not get too focused on FP or other third-party products. True, FP makes things like City Commander and Munitioner...but how many hundreds of high-quality toys does Hasbro make each year?