Hasb-andai?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Moroni Prime, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Have Hasbro and Bandai learned to play nice?

I was in one of my local Dollar General stores today, and happened to notice something at the checkout counter that caught my attention, and peaked my curiosity.

On the counter was a display of Power Rangers SPD spin-pops. Normally I wouldn't have even batted an eye at something like that, except I noticed something out of place on them all, and also on the display box. A familiar little green smiley square sporting the Hasbro logo. So far as I can remember, Power Rangers has been a property of Bandai since it's american debut in September of 1993. However, this was clearly the hasbro label on these Power Rangers spin pops.

So I wanna know... did I miss something? Was there any sort of partnership formed between them, or any kind of small merger type thingy? Could this also raise possible hopes of seeing jetfire, roadbuster, or whirl? Perhaps this is just some sort of fluke even?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was this just on the spin-pops, or other items? Probably just a basic license arrangement I'm guessing. Bandai doesn't make spinning lollipops in the USA, Hasbro (or some subsidiary of it) does, and everyone makes money off the deal.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

That'd be it. The merger of the #1 Japanese toy company and the (#1? 2?) US company is the sort of news that'd be impossible to miss given the fandoms and properties involved.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm...a merger between the toy? If there was one, I'm sure it would have been news worthy. Can anyoone confirm this?

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    No, Hasbro has a division that handles it's "impulse" candy (like spin pops) and they pursue their own licenses...in this case they got the rights to Power Ranger spin pops. The candy division used to have a different name (I was to say CAP toys, but I most certainly might be mistaken). The fact that it's a Bandai property is fun, but not really a sign of anything...they also do Yu-Gi-Oh candy...

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Bandai isn't in the business of selling candy in the USA, so Hasbro isn't a competitor in that area. There's no reason not to give them a license for that.

7. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Im more interested in Bandai/Takara-Tomy merger. They would make the best toys ever. And the Hasbro could put orange caps on them.

8. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I would love commemorative reissues of some of the old megazord teams. Or maybe Hasbro could even get hold of some of the earlier sentai "zords" from before MMPR ever came to the US? Highly unlikely I know, but it would be cool wouldn't it?

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Would a Hasbandai merger herald a G1 Jetfire reissue? Or would Harmony Gold (or whoever) still have the ability to sit on that?

10. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Harmony Gold would still kill it :( 

And sorry Moroni Prime, but I really doubt we'll EVER see any Megazord reissues. Bandai re-issues the SOC line at a pretty decent pace, but I've never seen them re-issue ANY sentai mechs other than the GoDaiKin line long before Power Rangers...the closest they ever got was the red recolor / remold of Ninjor that came out during Ninja Storm and the Silver Defender version of Titanus with the spaceship front and without the dino head...

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Or they'd threaten to. They don't actually own the VF-1 design, and if the toy was sold as "Jetfire" it wouldn't have their unethically trademarked Macross name on it. In the past, HG has done a lot of threatening to sue, but very little actual suing. They've only gone after fairly small companies, so just the threat has been enough. We don't know how things would go against a larger company, or if HG would even threaten something as huge as a combination of Hasbro and Bandai.

Of course, it won't happen, so it doesn't matter.

12. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Wow could we see Hasbro use the Gobots name for good w/ reissue Gobots.lol

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, you're right...Bandai has yet to reissue any of its Sentai Mechs in its original form...another line which has yet to be reissued in its original form is Gojira...I find this strange as they (Bandai) has been infamous for reissuing their Soul of Chogokin and Super Imaginative Chogokin lines (Kamen/Masked Rider) lines.

14. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    It really baffles me that they ignore their older pieces, unless they used the molds until they broke...I'd LOVE to replace my old Maskman at a decent price :) 

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Maybe Bandai "retired" the mould out of respect? In the past, concepts such as reissues were alien to the Japanese toy companies and if they were reissued, the newer toys were "changed".

I remember (if I remembered coorectly) reading somewhere, a long time ago from an article that the the Japanese toy companies wanted to preserve the value of the "original" toys. A good example would be the Gojira line, where previous moulds have been reissued but not in the colours of the original.

Nowadays, reissued toys are the same as the originals were. For example, Bandai's SOC.