Has Transformers financially handicapped you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, May 9, 2012.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't make a lot of money with my day job, and the meager savings I have to spare on Transformers usually comes from taking art commissions on the side. Yet despite a 200+ collection, I still don't have a decent computer or phone, no TV or console to call my own, I haven't taken a holiday in years, and I barely have enough just to roam my hometown.

I'm starting to wonder if my priorities are off. I've batted around the idea of selling my collection, but I don't want to lose the one thing I have of any real value in my austere life. Sometimes I wish I never got into the series so that I could spend my money on more practical things. Do any of you feel financially handicapped by Transformers?

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I feel more financially handicapped by the cell phone, cable, Internet, etc. Those cost a lot more per month then what I spend on TFers.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Dealing with depression, Transformers and MOTUC have most definitely crippled me financially. I've made some poor choices with my money in the past couple years, but I've also had some experiences I wouldn't change for the world. I'll come out of it ok, in fact I will be finishing my Bachelors Degree on Tuesday. Time to get back into the real world!

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    No issues for me as I don't go out to get every figure. I mainly go after the figures I want and don't even waste money on doing troop building.

So by skipping over stuff, I have money for both what I need in life and for those transformers that I really do want.

5. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nah, but I've used more credit than I should have in the past to buy toys. I'm lucky enough to have a well-paid, salaried job with great benefits (RCN).

6. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Define decent computer...

7. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Not really. Sometimes it affects my smoking/nicotine addiction.

8. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Not really. I mean, I buy a lot of TFs, but I don't buy expensive imports and third-party stuff. I rarely pay more than a certain amount for a toy, because it's usually just not worth it (even though I'm fairly wealthy doctor and I could probably buy any TF I could want without facing any financial consequences, but as I said, it's just not worth it). I'd probably get bored or want something else within a few days. And if there is ever an exception (Masterpiece G1 Snarler please?), then I'd be well off enough to get it.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I budget my money this way.

BILLS #1
    Retirement #2
    Spending Money #3

My Transformer money is basically whatever I have the day before I get paid.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Anyone that answers "yes" in this thread needs to seriously reevaluate their finances. I've been without a steady job for 2 years and I've burnt through plenty of money trying to build my businesses and I'm still having no trouble collecting.

EDIT: To clarify, I've been able to swing TFC Hercules and multiple other $100+ purchases.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    PROTIP: The money you have left over after paying for essentials, and ONLY the money you have left over after paying for essentials, is your Transformers money.

Someone's gonna cry: "But TFs ARE essentials!" I just know it. To them I respond: "Enjoy your poverty."

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    My first thought the second I read the title. QFT.

13. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    No. I set aside a certain amount for Transformers each and never exceed it. The leftovers get transferred to spend the next month. I feel more financially handicapped during times of the year like Mother's Day and Christmas time, because those gift-buying seasons just sneak up on you.

14. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Nope, my purchases are planned, or I sell something I don't want to put towards something I do want. I'll admit that in the past I've succumb to buying the newest most expensive thing with the justification "if I don't buy it now, it will become more expensive in the long run." Sometimes that's true, but most of the time it's quite the opposite. Nowadays, I'm in the service, my living expenses are paid for, and my bills get paid. Whatever is left is for fun. Could I save a little more? Of course. But I'm out to sea for months on end each year. I'm going to enjoy a little of that money.

15. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As long as my baby doesn't add to her Coach bag collection, I gots funds!

16. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Quite the opposite, actually. I make a living buying and selling Transformers coupled with mechanic work on the side. This past weekend at the NJCC I sold enough figures to once and for all get ahead of my bills. I love this hobby!

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The moment a toy becomes more important than my family living properly I know I've failed. I wish I had more money to spend on this hobby, so I just continue to work harder. Work hard, play hard.

18. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Always sad to hear about difficult financial situations. But like others have said, this is probably a good time to reevaluate your priorities...

Best of luck man

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm waiting for the story of a Fort Max falling off a shelf and breaking someone's leg & now they have huge medical bills. So Transformers both financially & physically handicaps someone.

20. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Though I love Transformers, I'll take my weekly TV offering of Prime, a few Cyberverse, and well-to-do middle-class lifestyle rather than 500 poseable blocks of plastic in my 200 dollar a month apartment.