Has this been a dark age for Transformers cartoons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by AwesomeCon, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

I only started watching Prime recently, because the animation seemed very "kiddy" to me. (Plus for some reason I found the lack of noses really really off putting o_o). BUT I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. While maybe appearing "kiddy" at first, I was impressed with how mature they handled certain things like death and loyalty. As a 40+ adult there are things I would have liked to see changed, but all in all I was happy with Prime. RiD not so much. Never saw Armada or Energon but heard bad things about them.

• Like Like x 3
  2. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

I'll be honest I don't the hate towards RID2015 and the love for TFP.

TFP was an empty show with boring characters, every episode has THE EXACT SAME PLOT, the action was repetitive and dull and the "faux epix" feel was annoying when there was nothing happening on screen to match it.

RID2015 on the other hand is a perfectly good kids cartoon. It has a colourful cast of fun characters (Grimlock alone is more fun that ALL of Prime characters COMBINED), every episode despite following the monster of the week format is unique and has a new and different set up, flow and finale as opposed to TFP where every episode is "cybertornian garbage found, 10 minute battle scene where Arcee murders 50 billion generics, Autobots gt the cybertronian garbage and throw it in the garage never to be mentioned again".

Not only that but the art style is much better because the world actually feels somewhat alive, and have more than 4 characters in the entire world and the Deceptiocons are some of the most fun designed characters even in this franchise. Plus is has an actually fun and unique set up where it's not just the same old same old "Autobots vs Decepticons in war" because the Decepticons here are actually criminals and thieves and not a military ogranisation so it's more "cops and robbers" than "civil war" we've seen over and over again.

RID2015 is a perfectly fine decent little show. I feel that the majority hate it gets is only from butthurt Prime fans who are mad that it's not Prime 2.0 with the "muh serious, muh epic, muh dark cartoon". I'd take a million RIDs over another Prime.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Javelin

It comes down to personal preference. I'm never a fan of the weird animation style of RiD. I don't know how to describe it, it's like a drawing over a live action scene, and it almost makes my eyes water. Maybe it's my age, but I found RiD was for kids, while Prime was for young adults with a little thrown in for the parents of said kids who may have been watching as well. My only real complaint about Prime is that it just ended abruptly, and in the movie, Megatron's extreme aboutface because someone was mean to him was horrible.

4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the only animated form of Transformers media we had was the Machinima thing, then I'd probably agree.

Otherwise, no.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The effect you're talking about is rotoscoping I think.

6. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

The only 'dark age' during Beast Machines was the fandom itself. The show itself passed the test of time and it's still as great as it was when it first came out without looking nearly as dated as Beast Wars.

Rotoscoping is drawing over a picture as a model which is not what's being done with RID2015. It's more of a cel-shaded look to match 3D animation with 2D animation. None of the robots are being redrawn in the conventional sense, they're just rendered that way.

Rotoscoping, if you want an example, you could probably look at most of the pre-computer Disney classics like Alice in Wonderland and that is a work that had rotoscoping done for it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Javelin

Ah, yeah, that's not it. I've seen it in some anime and it weirdly makes my eyes water if I watch it too long.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. Unicron Trilogy was the dark age. The cartoons in the past few years haven't been great though.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

As an RID fan, I was gonna say "no," but then I remembered last year we got a different cartoon that was the worst TF cartoon ever, and it's getting a sequel this year and another sequel next year, so...

10. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

Transformers Prime was a great show. I'm honestly still sad to this day that it was cancelled because it had a lot going for it. When RID first aired, I watched it and disliked it a lot. I eventually sat down and watched it again and it grew on me. It's not that bad of a show and I like how it's starting to connect itself to TFP a lot more (Starscream, Soundwave, Ratchet, talk about Team Prime, the old Autobot base from the first two seasons of TFP) in the second season than it did in the first. If you wanna talk about bad, however, just watch the Machinima Combiner Wars show online.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

Nah, PRIME isn't close to being the worst because it actually TRIED to be good. It failed, but it tried.

RiD2015 is actually entertaining if the viewer can accept that it's not trying to be super epic or dramatic.

12. kittycatusername123

kittycatusername123 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    I don't think right now is the "dark ages" for Transformers.

I think the "dark ages" was during the Unicron Trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron). They could have taken their time but they didn't which made the cartoons SO TERRIBLE. Cybertron's theme song was great, but the show was just blech. Armada and Energon were WAY worse.

Right now it's a great time. TFP & RiD2015 & Animated are great shows, and Rescue Bots is a great show for younger kids.

So it's not the "dark ages" currently when it comes to Transformers cartoons "in the now."

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I disagree that Armada was worse than Cybertron, at least not in totality: it started pretty piss weak but once Starscream defects, and guys like Scavenger, Wheeljack and Sideways show up it gets to a point I'd describe as tolerable and even occasionally enjoyable but I don't blame anyone for writing it off based on the first 20 or so episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    totally agree with you, Over the last 5 months I have watched the unicron trilogy with my boy and man was it painful to watch, it was really really bad. I liked Machinimas combiner Wars movie a 1000 times more .

My favorites go like this
    G1 ( including combiner wars with this along with the three Japanese g1 series )
    Beast wars
    Beastmachines
    Beast Wars II
    Beast wars Neo
    Prime
    RID 2015
    RID 2001
    Animated
    Unicron Trilogy

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Not even. The Dark Age of Transformers was a time when they hit their low point when they only cared about how many toys they were gonna sell while also tapping into a unknown market and missing. The Unicron Trilogy and Kiss Players was that Dark Age. Stilted animation, dumb script and rushed dubbing, and cookie-cutter plots were the trilogy's hubris, while Kiss Players to cater to a "mature" audience and pure shock value rather than make up the profits the TF anime lost because the toys didn't sell as expected. Kiss Players could have killed the franchise had Hollywood's decision to make it into a blockbuster film failed. Good or bad, there's no mistake that Bay's Transformers saved the brand for what could have been a painful offing. Thank Bay that they survived long enough to created a Emmy-Winning show.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Kiss Players was a niche, Japanese product that in a sane universe would never have existed but I don't recall it ever being planned for major release in the United States or other major overseas markets. Not that they'd have accepted it because Jesus-fucking-Christ its horrendous on every level.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    The Unicron Trilogy was awesome, Armada is one of my favorite cartoons. So far the only DVDs that I bought were G1 and Armada. Animated I would love to get, but I want it on bluray. Beast Wars and Robots in Disguise I cannot find complete box sets for region 2.

The perfect cartoon for me would be like armada but with G1 characters. Even if it was a one-shot movie direct to bluray. Preferably based on an idw comic like last Stand of the Wreckers.

18. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

Opinions on the Unicron Trilogy vary based on fan. I like the shows because of many different reasons but I can also see why people would hate them. Same things goes for RID 2001 and frankly all the others too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I'd say for me it is. Prime was a colossal disappointment, RID doesn't seem interesting, plus for non-cartoon aspects recent figures don't seem worth the money and the movies are whatever as usual, so I really don't have much appealing to me with Transformers right now. Hopefully once RID ends whatever follows will be more intriguing.

And the UT hate in here hurts my soul.

20. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

I genuinely loved Prime, some of the designs were interesting but it was pretty well written for a kids show. RID is ok at best, much more light hearted but the story isn't very deep.

• Like Like x 1