Has this been a dark age for Transformers cartoons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by AwesomeCon, Apr 24, 2017.

1. AwesomeCon

AwesomeCon Well-Known Member

Considering the majority opinion on Prime on this site is that it was a moderate to major dissapointment of missed potential, and I'm guessing RiD isn't fairing any better either.

I forgot its name but I know there's one cartoon that the fans consider the worst of TF's numerous animated series, but is Prime a serious contender for that title?

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Prime when it aired, but warmed up to it recently, it is farm from the worst show, same with RID2K15, it's an alright show, far from being the worst.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AMG

AMG Old School

I haven't watch a single episode from the new show. I just haven't had any interest. TFP was much the same to me at the beginning. But TFP grew on me over time and has some really great characters like Megatron, Starscream and Predaking. Someday I'll sit down and give the new show a chance and maybe it too will be a pleasant surprise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you trolling? Transformers Prime is considered one of the best transformers cartoons ever made. After the first season finished airing the community on here were constantly praising the show and having polls to see how it ranked with the other shows. Usually it sat behind Animated and Beast Wars.

I'm pretty sure it also holds the record for most award nominations and wins out of every transformers cartoon show.

The only reason it seems to be disliked or hated on these days is that its a common trend after any cartoon or tv show has finished to end up having a gradual build up of criticism towards it until it becomes popular to hate on an otherwise popular and well received show. Legend of Korra, Young Justice and Gravity Falls are good examples of that.

Also Transformers Energon is probably the cartoon your thinking of that a lot of fans disliked.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

Prime did receive it's fair share of criticism during it's second season as I recall. Mostly directed at the writing. I would agree the show is not without faults. But it does have many good qualities and is probably overall one of the better cartoons.

Energon on the other hand is definitely the bottom of the barrel. Though I personally find Headmasters painfully boring.

I'd hardly call this a dark age. Try living in 2002-2004, where there's only one cartoon at any one time and it's so rushed that it has unfinished animation and constant translation and name errors. And this is from someone who loves that old anime trilogy.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Orbital

News Credits:
    Of course, I remember those days but no Transformers show was immune to criticism, Animated copped a lot in its day too and people still hold it with high regard. I'm just dumbfounded someone is actually trying to state that the show is a contender for one of the worst made shows. Its bizarre seeing this topic when the show was often voted into the top 5 best transformers shows if not top 3 on this website. This sub was arguably at its biggest when the show aired.

7. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody that says it's a dark age is at best misinformed.

TFA, Prime, Rescue Bots and Robots in Disguise, at their absolute worst, are still better media than the entire Beast Machines to the end Unicron Trilogy stretch of content overall. And frankly theyre all better written than G1 too when you stop giving G1 the "well it was the 80s everything was that careless" excuse.

8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Hardly. Objectively, Transformers cartoons are doing pretty well, with two airing at a time between Prime or RID2015 and Rescue Bots since 2011, and TF: Prime being nominated for awards.

Taking a more personal approach, I personally feel Transformers: Prime is the closest thing to a perfect Transformers cartoon we've had so far. It introduces you to the mythos and a lot of the core characters, while not excluding new/obscure characters. The characters all have clear personalities, and yes, I'd include mute Bumblebee and vow of silence Soundwave in that number. The character arcs are debatable in terms of how well they were handled, but I personally enjoy seeing Arcee struggle with grief and desire for revenge, or Starscream questioning where his loyalty should lie. It takes a serious look at the war between the Autobots and Decepticons (which Animated kind of did, but mostly through flashbacks), and when characters are killed, it is brutally and you really feel the pain of the character's final moments. The animation is mostly pretty good, and the action is exciting and pulls you in. I would recommend showing it to someone to get them interested in Transformers.

Robots in Disguise isn't quite as good, and it certainly took some time for it to handle its story arcs... at all. However, the characters are still likable and enjoyable, and even though it may take a while to get used to some of them, I'd say the personalities of most of the Autobot characters are the best aspect of the show. The Decepticons are hit and miss, with some being memorable and others being pretty forgettable. It's got hits and misses, but for the most part, I'd say Transformers: Robots in Disguise is still a pretty good Transformers cartoon, even if it's not the best.

• Like Like x 2
  9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm going to say no. Granted the two shows mentioned have their share of flaws sure no question but we've had shows in the past that did a lot worse in comparison to them.

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I totally enjoyed every cartoon up to animated. RID15 is good again, but not as good as the old cartoons.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Dark ages? That's a little harsh considering the Unicron Trilogy was a thing. Not spectacular is more appropriate.

Citation needed.
    I don't think that's what "misinformed" means.

When will people realise that what they like is not the same as what is good. Beast Machines is a fantastic show and leagues beyond RID15 both technically and narratively. For one it doesn't have a sun-soaked, pastel colour pallette mixed with low framerate. You don't have to like it, but claiming it's inferior to the current cartoon is highly unbelievable.

• Like Like x 7
  12. AMG

AMG Old School

Yell yeah it is. :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Eh, not really. Prime, for all it's many, many flaws is still better than RID01, Armada and Energon, while RID15 is generally a pretty decent show. Rescue Bots is really good, although not aimed at older fans. It's tone isn't mature and it doesn't have much of a story line but there's a fair bit of creativity and some great characters.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  14. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    Nope. I like NURiD15 and Prime. Rescue Bots does its job well for its intended audience.

15. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

Not really. Prime, RID2015 and Rescue Bots destroy everything from 2001 up to TFA.

It's been pretty decent really. Could be better.

Animated was a show ahead of its time that came in a wrong time and wrong place. Had it come after Beast Machines or after RID2001 it would've been not only loved by the fandom but probalby one of the most loved "nostalgic" cartoon because it would fit right there with shows like TMNT, Samurai Jack, Teen Titans etc.

It kinda spoiled us a fandom of just how good a show can be to forget that for like 5 years we had to endure the bottom of the barrel anime garbage made for literal 5 year olds.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gosh are we seriously doing that boring as hell "you didn't write IMO before your post so I'm gonna waste time trying to fight with an imaginary bully trying to say his opinion is fact"? That stopped being an Internet thing decades ago in most circles. Let's fast foward to the part where you stop being embarrasing.

As far as I'm concerned BM's narrative was thematically pretentious AND mishandled by a writer with a long career of similar mess-ups and FAILED to be anything above misguided, a cast of increasingly boring characters, a soundtrack consisted of headache-inducing dial-up noises and "action" that waits until the series finale to even attempt some sort of fun cinematography. Bad bore, bad show, aiming high means nothing if you miss target, and that's a point I don't need a Simpsons video to make.

17. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

Prime and RID201X are awesome. Far from the best but awesome. Rescue Boots is awesome as well. And then... nope that's it. There isn't some kind of Prime Wars Trilogy cartoon which has only aired it's first series. If there was though I think I saw that first series when I was taking out my trash this morning.

18. Orbital

News Credits:
    It's going to depend on what your definition of the best is? I'm judging that statement on the fact that Transformers Prime is the 3rd highest scored show on IMDb, a user reviewed site(Beast Wars coming in 1st, G1 coming in 2nd); Has won the most awards(as well as been nominated the most times, in fact the amount of awards its been nominated for is more than if you combine all the nominations for every other Transformers cartoon show and assuming IMDb has got every show updated.); It was voted into the top 3 and top 5 on this websites polls for most popular/best show regularly(I'm not going to start sifting through posts to find examples but theirs been a lot of polls over the years).

But this is all subjective to what you consider examples of a show being the best.

19. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Nah, the Unicron Trilogy was the lowest point. In hindsight Prime ended up being a pretty low point from Season 2 on, but RID2015 and Rescue Bots are no doubt superior, if still not quite up to the standard Animated set for modern TF cartoons. I still wouldn't say we're anywhere close to a dark age of TF cartoons.

20. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    IDC what anyone else says... RID15, Animated S1&2 and Combiner Wars are by far the worst things to happen to the franchise in the last decade or so of Transformers programming