Has there ever been any transformers crossovers with any other shows as a kid?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Zoneism, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoneism

Zoneism Banned

You see I believe that as a kid I once saw Darth vader ans optimus prime battle it out for once, and I dont reacall who could have been the winner in that situation, but I think from what my friend, george, has told me is that dareth vader won the battle but he didnt win the war as he doesnt appear in any other transformers materials. i believe that he died or something in that same issue...sad. But all in all was it even canon or am i just having a bad memory receptor.
    I am very greateful for all your replies and have taken them into consideration. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Hmmm, depends what you mean by "As a kid".
    If your kid-hood was before the year 2005, then no. No canon of a Prime/Vader fight.

But if your kid-hood was in recent years, then who knows?
    Given the huge quantity of "official" licensing like weird Kiss Players, IDW out-there-stories, Xmas tree ornaments, convention exclusives, it may be possible.

But as for Mainstream Hasbro TF toys, cartoon, movies, nope.

3. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...the old sunbow cartoons from the eighties (transformers, GI JOE, jem, inhumanoids) had a few oblique crossovers featuring minor characters, settings, and products, but the only direct crossover was cobra commander’s appearance in season three...other than that, most modern franchise incarnations are essentially standalone: you may have seen an episode of robot chicken, a hub interstitial, or a commercial merchandising appearance, but none of those are canonical crossovers...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I would call that a direct crossover since they really went out of their way to never mention his name Or the name of his organization

Although I agree with certainly intended to be him

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Well its as close as we get.

6. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the sake of completionism for G1:

Old Snake/Cobra Commander is definitely the only direct crossover, and is confirmed. Not only does he all but scream "COBRA" at the end of the show but for a coughing fit, but promos for the episode in TV Magazine show him commanding Cobra vehicles and his identity was effectively confirmed by writer Larry DiTillo. Of course the Cobra vehicles don't appear in the cartoon, but I don't think they were hiding who he was supposed to be all that much.

The biggest "indirect' crossover is EDC commander Marissa Fairbourne, whose parents are GI Joes Fint and Lady Jaye according to writer Larry DiTillo.

Other "minor" crossovers:
    Hector Ramirez (a parody of infamous newscaster/tabloid journalist Geraldo Rivera) shows up in Inhumanoids, Jem, GI Joe and Transformers, although I believe his character model and VA changed from show to show - not wholly damning, because so did many of the main characters...
    Jem "appears" in Super God Masterforce on a poster. Character models nearly identical to Jerrica and Kimber save for coloration appear in Season 2 Episode B.O.T. (but are likely non-canonical under the circumstances).
    COPS character Checkpoint's father is the GI Joe Beach Head, according to Checkpoint's file card and the shared last name of "Sneeden", which therefore technically makes COPS vaguely connected with Transformers.

Finally, for what it's worth, Vector Sigma in the TFA's Allspark Alamanac II indicates that the G1 continuity contains COPS, Inhumanoids, GI Joe, and Jem all all part of the same continuity.

The only other show that directly references a crossover is Transformers: Prime. Agent Fowler claims to have been a member of Unit: E, which is the failed crossover Hasbro attempted prior to IDW's Revolution. This technically includes Jem, MASK, GI Joe, Micronauts, Inhumanoids (renamed Primordia), possibly the Centurions... and also Stretch Armstrong and Candyland. Yeah.

But no, no Optimus vs. Vader. You might be thinking of the TF Crossover toy commercials for the Vader Death Star from 2007. You can find it on youtube, or here:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Altered Prime

I've said it other debates writer intent doesn't really cover these things canon wise so I would not call any statement made by a writer a confirmation of anything if you only tell us what they liked or wanted to do

8. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We'll agree to disagree then. When a guy shows up calling himself "Old Snake" with Cobra Commander's faceplate, whats left of his uniform, with yellow scaly fingers, using synthoid technology Cobra used frequently, and Cobra Commander's voice actor, it' Cobra Commander. :) 

The ad copy and Larry DiTillo saying and/or showing it's him is just icing at that point.

Edit: Flint Dille, not Larry. Must have been that last name.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  9. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...old snake’s onscreen ‘COBRA!’ battlecry clinched it pretty unambiguously, in my opinion...

...i was not aware of the sunbow COPS connection; cool trivia!..didn’t battle beasts show up in the japanese headmasters cartoon, too?..

...as for the more modern aligned continuities, i’m unaware of any produced cartoons featuring unit E other than prime, unfulfilled production intentions notwithstanding...of course, if we extend our crossover domain from animation to comic books, we could likely exhaust hundreds of pages tracing shared continuity between dozens and dozens of franchises, but that’s beyond the scope of this discussion...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

I didn't know all that. Good catches!

11. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could be wrong, but I think "Battle Beasts" were only their own thing in the US. In Japan, I'm fairly sure they were a subline called "Beastformers" and were intended fully to be part of the Masterforce continuity. If that's the case, they're not a crossover so much as part of the show, much like nebulans in the G1 continuty.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    beastformers was their own line in japan, not a subline of transformers. they appeared in one episode of headmasters at least so yes that would qualify as a franchise crossover, though not a show crossover as beastformers did not have a show of its own

• Like Like x 3
  13. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I stand corrected!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I wonder why the writers went out of their way to not identify Cobra Commander by name in "Only Human". Can't help but wonder if they didn't get permission to use him or something.

15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Because he no longer commands cobra?

16. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

I think you probably meant Flint Dille. I'm not sure why Larry DiTillio would be confirming any of this, since he had nothing do with G1.

17. ProtectronPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always get names confused. Oops. That' what I get for working off of memory instead of fact checking on the internet.

18. Altered Prime

unambiguously?.
    I could agree with that if the scream hadn't been interrupted by a series of coughs

19. Altered Prime

With that mistake in mind, when was it that flint supposedly confirmed that it was indeed Cobra Commander?

20. Fenrys

News Credits:
    To say old snake it not cobra commander is being overly nit picky. Old snake has the same voice as cobra commander and remnants of cobra commanders uniform. He uses the cobra battle cry (coughs or not, it’s still the cobra battle cry), and was said to have been a leader of a terrorist organization. He is no longer cobra commander because there is no cobra to command.

Trying to say that old snake is not cobra commander is like saying Marissa fairborne is not flints daughter even though her dad is confirmed as dashiel fairborne (flint) and the same va was used

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.