Has there ever been a toy line with as many transformation cheats as the movie line?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cheebs, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    By "cheats" I mean parts that are duplicated for robot mode since they could not be moved into place. The second truck grill on Masterpiece Prime is an example.

Off the top of my head we have:

Leader Prime-
    Tanks on top of shoulders duplicated
    Truck grill duplicated
    Headlights duplicated

Jazz-
    Tail lights duplicated
    Rear wheels duplicated (off to the sides of feet)
    Random bits of outer car panels duplicated and wrapped around his legs

Ratchet-
    Tail lights duplicated
    Doors duplicated (the green blobs that form the front of his shoulders)
    Side of the van duplicated (green blobs on his forearms)

77 Bee
    License plate duplicated
    Rear fenders painted on upper thighs
    Random bits of outer car panels duplicated and wrapped around his arms

08 Bee
    License plate duplicated
    Random bits of outer car panels duplicated and wrapped around his arms

Ironhide
    Front bumper duplicated (the blue thing covering the middle of his chest)

Voyager Prime
    The whole upper body is one big cheat. :D 

Strangely enough, the Decepticons seem to be "honest" for the most part.

Anyway I personally think it was a really cool work-around to translate some highly-stylized robot designs into brilliant workable toy designs. Anybody think we'll be seeing a whole lot more cheating for the Animated characters since that robot style is once again so unique?

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    On some of these I'm not getting what you are saying (Leader Prime espescially).

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Haha,

I guess the designers of the figures tried there best. The CGI designers are probably not their favorite people...

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Take a look at the movie renders and how Prime transforms in the movie.

The cannisters on top of the 'bot's shoulders supposed to be the cannisters on the front sides of the truck. Movie renders show it clearer than the toy.

The grill that makes Prime's abs is supposed to be the actual front grill of the truck. Don't ask me how it's gets there or why the slats go horrizontally in bot mode, but that's how the movie has it.

The blue orbs on the toy Prime's waist are the supposed to be the truck headlights. This is again very clear in the movie renders.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

Maybe they should rename them!

Vehicles in disguise

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Pretty much, he's sort of a shell former. I can't really think of any other line off the top of my head, though MP Prime has that fake grill section, though that is more than forgiven.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    There's a difference between cheating and not being movie accurate....

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Heh. Don't forget that the movie has some cheating, too. While I'm not going to pretend to know how the Transformers transform in the movie itself, a very CLEAR example of cheating is when Blackout uses his rotor-weapon.

He has six blades on his arm, and his dreadlock-rotor blades are still on his back. It's not the tail rotors on his hand, either, as the tail rotor only has four blades.

Best I can think of is, I'm not even sure ILM knows how these things transform. The rare times we do get to see an uninterrupted transformation in one shot, like Bonecrusher's transform, it's zoomed in so close that we don't get a clear view on what part goes where.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The problem stems from fact that the movie transformations are just as bad as, if not worse than, the G1 cartoon when it comes to things magically changing size or going strange places. The difference is that the instead of stratching and morphing panels, the movie breaks things down into tinny little pieces and shuffles them around with no visible means of them being attached to the rest of the bot.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True enough. There's next to no way a toy could possibly transform accurately to the CGI models, even if they were 1:1 scale. As said, while every part may be accounted for, exactly how they move between modes is pretty magical - just magical in a more plausibly convincing way. :) 

11. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

LDR Brawl has a set of smoke launchers on his chest which get covered up by the treads in Alt mode. They magically appear in the correct place on his turret, or, maybe they just stay on the turret and he sprouts the other set. The world may never know.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's the tail rotor. it's possible that the extra blades come out only in weapon mode.

The biggest problem is mass. prime has more mass in robot mode than he does in truck mode. just look at his legs/feet when he's running down the street. his feet are as big as cars. his truck mode is not big enough for those legs to actually become part of it.

when bumblebee transforms into a car on-screen for the first time, you see his body wadded up in the interior, and then a second later, it's gone.

13. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Yup. I think you and I are on the same page. The G1 cartoon had this problem, too. Especially in the MTMTE threesome, where the artists tried to put some effort into the transformations. One second, Prowl or Wheeljack would transform and you could see that the arms and legs occupy the interior mass, and the next minute, Sparkplug opens Prowl's door and enters a perfect car interior.

As someone said a few posts up, the movie transformations aren't all that different from the G1 transformations. Instead of someone's arm or leg magically growing twice in length, the movie disguises this with a million panels breaking up, and the camera cuts away before you see where each part goes where. I've said it when I first saw that bootleg picture of Bumblebee at Hoover Dam, and I still think so: there is no way those robot modes can transform into those vehicles.

Oh, and since this is about transformation cheats...

Ever notice that the Autobots' robot modes have scratched paint and burns and other sorts of battle damage, but the vehicle modes are pristine? Even immediately after Bumblebee is freed from S7's torture, his Camaro mode looks like he spent the last few days being waxed and polished. Moreover, Optimus has battle damaged paint in his first scene, where he introduces the Autobots. Considering he just scanned his truck mode and hasn't had any battles in that mode yet, his robot mode in that scene should've been as shiny and pristine as his truck mode is.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the battle damage thing has been explained officially. the transformers didnt look real when their robot modes were clean.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I guess that makes it ok even though it makes no sense lol.

16. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

No way! voyager Ops is far from a shell former. He has a large "backpack" this is true, but if you want to see shell former just look at Titanium Scourge. :) 

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    yeah, voyager prime isnt a shell-former. the only "shell-like" thing he has is the nose of the truck that his arms are under. that's no different from G1 jazz or prowl having their arms tucked under the hood of their car.

18. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I've got the toy in front of me, and he's got smoke launchers on his chest and on the turret, the ones on the chest just get covered up later, but as cool a toy as he is, there is some massive kibble on the back of the legs, I feel its about the same as voyager Primes backpack.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    A 28 foot robot can probobly have a lot more moving parts in it then a 10 inch robot toy.

In that light, I'd say BW/M, BM more since the characters on the show morphed from one form to the next. BW because basicaly all season one bots cheated at some point. (I'm looking at you Dinobot)

However, the grand price goes to G1, not a single show accurate toy in the line. (Skylynx is the closest I can think of)

Also, buy reviewing trailers and footage of Movie transformations, I KNOW HOW THEY PULL OFF THE SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE TRANSFORMS!

While most is the usual flip, slid, rotate, click of panels, some times, on part wil 'pick up" another part and move it elsewhere. Not like part-forming, but close, only you dont have to worry about getting blow up a dropping have your body when you TF. Also, some of the metal flexes. Like barricade's chest, and sometimes, parts aren't what you think. Prime's design for example obviously has flames, but the thing is, there are other hidden robot bits that also have flames, thus, the confusion.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    shockwave.

but G1 never "cheated" as the term is defined in this topic.