Has There Ever Been A KO of Big Convoy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jan 21, 2012.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let me first say that it IS NOT my intention to slander anyone or ruin their reputation. I just recently bought this guy from this seller and I am VERY happy with him:

Takara Transformers Optimus prime Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy C-35 Mint | eBay

With that said, when I got the package and got this item without a box and instructions (as expected.) and noticed that this person has sold close to 50 of them, and that the price is so low, something occurred to me.

I thought to myself "I hope I didn't just buy a knockoff!". I know that South Korea has been a hotbed of knockoffs in the past and I also know that Big Convoy has seen an official release in Korea fairly recently.

But, has anyone ever heard of a Big Convoy Knockoff?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm pretty sure I've seen a "Quick Change" KO of him, but you'd know it was a KO in an instant. I haven't seen one as good as the picture you provided, but I agree the scenario is weird. Could possibly be Sonokong factory overstock that was never boxed. Maybe he's splitting up gift sets. No idea.

3. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    What exactly is the "quick change" knockoff?

4. flamepanther

Quick Change is just a common brand of knockoff. They are usually fairly direct copies of the originals, but with fewer paint applications and much lower quality plastic. The plastic usually has a matte finish and a very light and britle feel to it. They are usually incredibly cheap, and in the US they are very common at Big Lots and Tuesday Mornings.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have the Sonokong version of Big Convoy and it doesn't have the grey "Paint app" all over it .

6. flamepanther

That's a plastic sleeve.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Whoops did not enlarge the pic. as for the price it seems fair for a Sonokong Big convoy with out the box. I paid $35.99 for mine sealed in the box on BBTS.

8. Scaleface

Scaleface Banned

News Credits:
    There was an official Korean release of the toy wasn't there? It's often cheaper on the aftermarket, and in a different box, but it's official.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Not only that, but there was a fresh run of him and several other Beast Wars 2/Neo era figures that were done back in the mid-2000s IIRC.
    These could conceivably be excess stock that went unpackaged from that production run.

But I've never seen Big Convoy (the mammoth) knocked off at US retail. I HAVE seen Lio Convoy (the lion) for several years though.

10. flamepanther

I got bunches of them super cheap because of it, too. The Sonokong BWN gift sets were a steal. I remember getting a box with Longrack, Break, Stampy and Cohrada, and another with most of the dinosaurs, for less than $30 per set. I almost couldn't believe it was legit, but the boxes were both Sonokong branded, and the toys all have the Takara stamp on them.

11. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I expected this BC to have a Sonokong stamp on it but, it says "1999 Takara" on it.

12. flamepanther

Sonokong uses the same molds and facilities as Takara. It's literally the same toy. They just put them in different boxes. The only Sonokong release I know of that was different from Takara's is Magmatron, who had the mold changes to the weapon that were in the Hasbro version. All of them will have the Takara stamp.

KOs very rarely keep the copyright stamps, unless it's a straight-up G1 counterfeit. I think it's most likely you got unpackaged overstock.

13. castrobabble

castrobabble Well-Known Member

Those of you that purchased this guy...are you happy with the quality? I'm thinking of getting him.

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Hes cool. Though its a big shellformer. The myriad of weapons is awesome. Might need some joint tightening though.