Has the live Video chat changed your opinion?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Okay the majority of us has seen the live video chat

Has this had ANY affect on your opinion of the movie?

We've all seen the numerous threads on numerous different boards (including this one) where members post a disconsenting opinion on the movie.As well as comments like "Bayformers" or any other insult towards Michael Bay insinuating he's ignoring the fanbase and raping our childhood.

Well I've seen very few negative remarks regarding the chat.In fact on this board and Allspark the overall fandom seems to have positive feelings & opinions regarding Orci and Kurtzman now.In fact I'd describe it as a complete 180.I can't comment on Don Murphy or Michael Bay's board as they OBVIOUSLY couldn't handle the slamming their boards are taking right now,so at the moment I can't view the TF sub forums.And the Official movie board seems to be down too.

But my question is

If you had a negative opinion on the movie's direction have those negative feelings lessened or increased.And if so why?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Based on the flickr photos, I still think the robots look too spidery. However, that's just a basic, simple opinion and I'm not planning to defend, dissect or explicate it.

I think the robot names match nicely with the characters to whom they've been assigned.

*backs quietly and carefully out of thread, flame-retardant shield extended*

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was pleasently surprised that there are 8 'Cons, to 5 'Bots, and given how easy it sounds the'Cons die, its a good thing. I'm glad to see that there will be some bickering between Megs + Screamer, and I'm glad that the mini-bot is called Frenzy.

Also, how the hell did they end up with Classics Bumblebee, Prime and Megatron.
    (Bumblebee on left of desk, jet ski on right, Prime next to G1 Prime, and Megs laying down in gun mode inbetween the Laptops.)

Sucks that they didnt answer more questions though.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More or less just gave me some info, reaffirms my expectations. Fun movie, cool look, fanwank, likely a somewhat shallow story with potential to surprise me. I'm more or less looking forward to it, and feel it'll do justice to the subject matter. So, my opinion hasn't really--

THEY ALREADY HAD CLASSICS?! :mad 

Let me add: The movie is being written by men that possess toys I do not. Driven by my material jealousy, I will scrutinize their efforts harder than before, until I receive my own Classics.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm satisfied with the Autobot lineup, and I love the idea of having more Decepticons and using previously unknown characters. I mean really, who the hell had ever heard of Barricade or Blackout? Did any of us even pay attention to Micromaster names back then?

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was excited to begin with, I knew that this was not going to be G1 the movie from the get go, and the robot designs are pretty much what I expected them to look like (actually, Bumblebee looks a little better than I expected).

Now, as long as the movie's pacing and dialog is well done, it will rock my socks!

7. Geluidsgolf

Geluidsgolf Active Member

Well, I felt a bit disapointed at first, when I heard that Soundwave was turned into Frenzy, but than again something new for this movie sounds indeed cool.

But please don't call this "thing" a Generation 1 Transformers movie.

To me it's like hearing about the beast Wars for the first time, at first I had something like"Man couldn't they have made a 3d series about the G1 transformers", but as I followed Beast Wars it became an Icon on its own, upto the transmetal stuff at least.

This Movie can have the same effect in a way, so I'm not worried about it YET!

Bring on the the Robot modes!!!

8. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

First off all, those who coined the negative term "GEEWUNners" kinda deserve whatever insults they have coming to them. I like "Bayformers". I'll have to remember that one.

I had a negative opinion, but I had hope. I kept taking a "wait and see" attitude.

Well, I waited and have seen... and while I don't mind updating modes, these changes go way, way too far. The writers and producers keep saying that they are big fans of the original... but they show very little to back that claim up.

For those that say change is good and is necessary to keep things fresh and from going stagnant, I can only pity them for losing interest and not being able to maintain interest. Ironically these are the true fans- those who get bored so easily with the franchise.

Again, ironically, it's the non-fans who have maintained interest and appreciation after 20+ years of the original.

Go figure.

Pulled from another thread, and while the original poster of said comment likes the new designs, I couldn't agree with this statement more.

So what can I say? I guess I'm not a fan or true believer. Nor do I open my mouth and allow myself to be spoon-fed either.

Non-fan out.

Chris

9. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

It's not about not being able to maintain interest.But it's a simple fact,if you stay one way too long people get bored.It happens in life as well as in TV.Look at Simpsons,initially it was great.But after so many years,it's DEFINITELY grown stale.

Honestly you should drop this "True fan" and "Non-fan" stuff. I don't know why you brought that into this conversation to begin with.It adds a negative element that I as the topic started don't want in this conversation :) 

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Being a "true fan" has nothing to do with whether you like the new stuff and want to see the TransFormers brand and concept grow and evolve or whether you're a diehard adherent to "the way things were". The true fans are the people who are still actively passionate about TransFormers in whatever way; Geewunners, beast worshippers, armada junkies, all of them. The non-fans are the people who don't have an active interest in the TransFormers, whether they never did to begin with, or loved it as a kid but put it out of their hearts and minds. There is no irony in many of the true fans being open to or wanting change. Nothing insinuated in posts above demonstrates a lack of fandom on the part of the writers. The Classics toys they have suggest the opposite, in fact. We have every reason to believe that they are fans. There are no non-fans here, so let's drop that whole issue.

11. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

I am going to see this movie, no matter what. And I'm not expecting a work of art either. That sounds negative, but what I'm trying to say is I'm taking the info as it comes. I love G1, but I don't think the movie has to be that. If anything, this move is just a like a new transformers "series". This is Transformers:Live Action, just like Transformers:Armada, or Transformers:RID. Similar characters and names, but unique look and story with similar characters. This movie definitely is going a different way with mechanical designs, but that's alright. I think Transtech fans can rejoice! These really really remind me of those designs shown ages ago.

My one minor complaint, as with many other TF story revamps, is that they seem to be handing out names sometimes, just for the sake of the character's famous name. My biggest example is Starscream. That design just has no resemblance to him... I think if the head was at least changed it would be alright. But it's cool.

I also like the fact that the autbots are outnumbered. I was kinda tired of the trend of more autobots vs decepticons.... it's been like that most of the time. I think this will add a more dramatic edge. It'll be a real fight against the odds!

12. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

I agree 100%. With regards to Autobots being outnumbered, I bet we see some 'non movie' characters in the movie toy line, plus the enevitable repaints.

13. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

You may think it's grown stale. I might even agree with you. But objectively the Simpsons is more successful and takes more money than it used to.

And that will be the only criteria by which this movie is ultimately judged. If it performs badly on the opening weekends, it'll get pulled from screens, go downhill fast, and all that tie in merchandise won't sell.

All I really learnt form the movie is that it's been boned for a while now, even when I'd been very positive about it until now - we're dealing with people who can say a Camero is a teenagers "must have car". Who did they ask, Chevy's marketing team? Is this the same Chevy who can barely sell a vehicle abroad and might not exist by the time I have kids?

Phazer

14. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I think that everyone who knows me over the boards, knows my thoughts and feelings about the film. Yes it is true that I am one of the fans that screams "rape", and lost hope long time ago. Every piece of information that gets out there and we, as fans learn it, puts (for me) more and more nails into this 'Bayformers' film.

I saw the Orci & Co. live video chat and I still think that they all took a very wrong approach on doing this film. Yes I agree it is not 1984 and things have to change, but I still think there is a way to change it in such a way that all fans will be happy. I don't think that Bay is the right choice. I don't like the script that I have just read (The feb. version that just got leaked on the boards as a pdf file). I really really really don't think the design of the robots is the right one.

buttom line : I dislike the movie even more now.

15. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

Hasn't changed my opinion really, but if they're not outright lying to us, then at least the writers want to go deeper with the Transformers characters. I can only hope that will make it into the movie, as the lack of tf characterizations was one of the issues I had with the script. Otherwise, my impression is that it will be a very cool action movie. If only they could cut down on the cheese, it'd already be massively improved.

I've no real beef with the writers so far, it's the Hollywood head honchos I'm worried about.

16. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I had a feeling from the first moment I heard about it that this movie wasn't going to be the G1 and that’s mainly because it happened over 20 years ago. I'm fine with how things are looking so far, sure it’s not the traditional way but neither was BW. The alt modes of the characters seems to suit them well, the robot forms are interest and very alien looking which is fine with me cause they are a alien robot race. It is what it is now, this movie is a new step for a new generation of fan and really we're all here for the ride. Even if the movie isn't great I’ll still see it, probably even more then once, I know I’ll buy it when it hits DVD and watch it time and time again just for its wow factor and for the fact that a childhood memory and a passionate hobby of mine has hit the big screen in a way I’ve though possible.

17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I didnt see the live cast but I did read some of the highlights. Did it change my opinion? NOPE. I know what Im going to get out of this movie.
    The character designs didnt put me off either because they are similar to what I figured they would look like after seeing the teaser. I'm going to be a mindless zombie and love this movie no matter what until i actually watch it and then decide if it sucks or not. I am like the water, I bend with the changes in times..last I checks its 2006 not 1984. and all you whimpering fans saying but but but G1 is still great, face it, g1 is nothing more than a memory that will never resurface in a way that purist will want. You are not the target audience anymore..its sucks but so does growing old. deal with it!

I just feel very sorry for all those people hating on the film. Not for the film but for the fans. Let it go people. We finally get a live action flick, allow yourselves to feel some joy in life.

You people hating on the film arent angry you are just hateful miserable people that can't allow yourselves to feel any positive emotions in life.

Here's an idea, when the movie opens stay home(not like most of you go out anyway) so stay home, pop in your G1 dvds and spend the entire night crying on how G1 is the only version of TF that is pure and the movie sucks(even though you didnt see it)

MY TWO CENTS
    Thanx
    Transbot90210

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I honestly didn't have much faith in the movie before, namely because I'm not exactly Michael Bay's biggest fan. The Rock was pretty cool, Armageddon was popcorn fun (but fun, nonetheless), Pearl Harbor was pretty dull past the first 30 minutes, and I distinctly remember my friends and I playing frisbee with our rental copy of The Island after watching it.

But after watching the live chat my hopes perked up a little bit. They seemed to be taking the material a lot more serious than I thought they would, and also seemed to be pretty competent when talking about how they went about the writing/storytelling process in general. It was a neat little tip of the hat to the fans (though the "I'm a girl" question they read reeked a bit of 'staged question' to me, but whatever) and I for one appreciated it.

In the end, my standards are still gonna be kinda low on this when come next year but that's not entirely a bad thing. In my eyes, when I don't expect much from a flick there's a 9/10 chance that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hey, it worked for the first X-Men. ^_^