Has the dumbest little thing been the trigger for you to make a purchase

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I was looking online just to fill out some classics, and I came across this ebay listing

TransFormers Universe 25th Predacon Bruticus Ultra MISB | eBay

I know it's stupid, but I almost hit buy it now just because of the music.

Anyone else do that? Like, you're on the fence, but then use the dumbest little excuse to blow money?

2. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    im doing it right now, i can buy some figures now and use my safety net money to get two figures i want, but then be low on cash til pay day or i can wait til i get paid and miss the chance to get them. I keep thinking yeah i'll get them, then i think no thats stupid cause i could need the money. I dunno. funny thing is that now its in my mind its pretty inevitable i'll buy them and then be without a safety net til payday.

3. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I did it with Aveo Swerve. I'm glad I did too.
    I saw how the legs transformed and was so intrigued, I bought it for like 130 bucks. Great toy IMO.
    TJ you should get Swerve, me thinks you'd like.

4. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Yup. How I purchsed RotF Rampage:

I walk into toy section.
    I see that there's no wave 2 yet.
    I see Rampage, the only one I'm remotely interested in, and even then I didn't really care for him.
    I think, "Eh, I've got 15 bucks on me."
    I buy one of my least favorite figures ever at the register.
    [/Story]

So yeah. I suppose the trigger was the money I had, but some would consider that an impulse buy more than anything. :D 

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I think everyone impulse buys. Like when I got RotF Dirge and Gears.

Red Alert is also a definite example. Bought him cause he was on sale and I didn't have the mold. Fell in love with the mold. Now have the Brothers as well as him, and decided because of that I might as well be a Generations completist. Woo!

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    TFare - Even though I love your pics of him, Avevo Swerve comes off like some kinda' weird, Ninja Turtles foot soldier with that head sculpt.

I think he'd be cool to have, but I don't really know where he'd "fit" right now on my shelves.

7. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

I'm planning on buying a transformer right now just cause there's free shipping

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lumpy once justified buying a figure by convincing himself it was a version of a character that had been shot with a shrink ray

9. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    A few weeks ago I found a ROTF Mudflap at Ross for $5. I dont care at all for the ROTF twins characters, but for $5, the price was right, so I figured "why not?" So I get him and end up LOVING the figure! So now I've spent the past 6 weeks hunting for Skids, today I finally found him at a Marshalls for $8! Again LOVE the figure! Still dont care for the characters, but those toys are well designed and fun!
    Later

10. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mr. Potato Head Optimus prime was a total impulse by for me. I walked into Toys R Us, happened to see it on the shelf, and had to have it. Is it dumb? Yes. Does it fit anywhere in collection? No. Is it one of the most awesome TF tie in toys of all time? Hell yes.

No regrets.

11. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup. Pretty much all of my animated toys have been that way......and Dropshot was a big one for me. he was $5 to add to the total of a lot I bought off a board member, then I ended up loving it so much I got all the repaints of the mold :redface2: 

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    All the friggin time, my decision for buying toys can be damn elaborate.

Take for instance, this guy. I bought him to stand in for Brawn in my collection. Now, most people would say "yeah, he's a green, tough looking jeep, I can see why you'd use him as Brawn" and call it a day. But no, no, not this guy. I have to heap reasons onto it.

I don't often repurpose a character unless their name matches (like, I could justify the Evac-redeco of ROTF Whirl because his name is Whirl, but I wouldn't use Tomahawk as Whirl), but in this case I was willing to, and here's how I convinced myself.

1. The mold was going to be made as a convention exclusive Brawn, with appropriately remolded parts and colors. This guy isn't nearly as close, but hey, he's green right?
    2. The mold WAS released as a convention exclusive Outback (with trademark-failed name). And since Outback was a Brawn remold in G1, hey it fits right?
    3. And the last straw, the fact that this very version of the toy was repurposed as SG Brawn. I figure if this is what Brawn looks like in a G1 mirror world, then the mold can work for my own collection till they make something better.

Also, I talked myself into buying the KO of SG Prime by telling myself that in the mirror world, I approve of supporting KOs :lol 

I bought Cybertron Metroplex and Evac just because I wanted their gold-bordered keys. Don't get me wrong, they're great toys and I intended to buy them anyway. But I was trying to get a complete set of the Gold Planet keys since I had Override and Scourge from their initial releases :lol 

Bought Movie 1 Mudflap to work as Erector, but I know I'm not the only one who did that.

Bought Universe Blades because A) his profile sounded cool and B) wanted a partner for Botcon Streetwise. I also liked his colors, but I didn't want to buy him since I already owned Springer and didn't think it'd be believable as seperate characters, but I bought him anyway for the above reasons.

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's been times when I've read a story, liked one of the characters, then impulsively went and bought the toy. Then a week later I wondered why I did that and sold it (this has happened more than once)

14. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

There have been a lot of toys that I've bought because I liked how a writer treated the character in a fanfic.

The dumbest one, though, was this: "I still have $50 on my Amazon.com gift card; what do I want? Sky Lynx? Nah...not a G1 collector any more. But he's cool, and I have $50."

So I bought him. And never regretted it. :) 

By the way, buy that Bruticus. He's great.:thumbs2: 

15. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

When the Sabres lost game 7 last night it was my excuse to drop $100 on a transformer, b/c otherwise I was going to use the $100 to buy a ticket to a game in the next round. Thats all the excuse I need.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Once I got frustrated that I was not able to get the TFA Activators I wanted at a Hasbro Toy Fair, so I went to a specialty toy store and got a ROTF Human Alliance Bee, it was discounted at 10% off, so I thought it was a good buy already. Sometime later, the price of HA went down to 50% off, hehe. :) 

17. darkunor

darkunor Banned

I dont know if this qualifies, but I purchased henkei silverbolt just because of that sound it makes during transformation and nothing else immediately after watching a review of it on youtube and screaming out loud like a little girl, of course. That is one of the very few henkei figures I've purchased in which toon accuracy was not an overwhelmingly important factor!

18. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    In the case of Generations Warpath, I only wanted it because the Animated version was never made. Same case for the updated Cyclonus figure, I just wanted a Animated stand in.

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suggested something like that to someone who was on the fence about Trailcutter. All you need is Wheeljack facepalming somewhere nearby!

That's what my Universe Cyclonus is doing. Perceptor would also work well as "expanded Animated."

<3

20. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah...and it will again. I think I'll end up buying BOTH the Bumblebee and Sideswipe repaints because of all the cool homages.