Has TF made us all more dexterous?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, May 24, 2010.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Has growing up, playing with fiddly transforming robots given us mad dexterous skills? Surely the skills required for kids to transform toys these days (leader prime!) require higher levels of hand eye coordination than G1 toys?

But even with that, rarely does a day pass when I don't pick a TF off of a shelf and iddly transform it back and forth.

I've seen reviews where people are clearly not adept at Transforming these things. Or heard horror stories of ham-fisted collectors with the "I took him out the box and he dun broked on me!!!"

So, has collecting/playing with Transformers through your life given you made dexterous skills?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think it possibly has, at least its made me more attentative to detail and the working mechanisms that make them move and transform :) 
    now before i transform a new toy i look it over without the inst. to see all the parts that should move before i make inanimate parts break :) 

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Doubtful that the effect is measurable, as there are people who didn't play with Transformers who are just as dexterous, if not moreso, than the average fan.

It's impossible to tell though, because we'd have to know how dexterous we would have become without playing with transformers.

4. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

^same here, i think the only time ive really used instructions was for ROTF leader Prime, but i like to examine the figure first and figure it out on my own. my fingers have become very nimble with these figures and really in everyday life haha

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I guess it couldn't hurt, but I'd chalk any hand/eye coordination to playing baseball for 16 years.

The NES probably played more of a part than TF toys did too.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I definitely credit the '80s, but it was more likely the breakdancing, Contra and Rubik's Cube. :lol 

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    not sure about more dexterous but i am sure ROTF leader prime raised more than a few folks blood preasure :lol 

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I have to credit guitar-playing to my personal dexterity.

9. Soundstang

Soundstang BOT

About 9 years ago, I was diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome, and was briefly hospitalized and paralyzed, as I regained the use of my hands, I needed to re-learn fine motor skills. At first, the Dr's gave me silly putty to use, but I found that boring. It just so happened that right before I went to the hospital, I had purchased a few Beast Machines toys, and used them to slowly regain the use of my hands, plus I had something to show as an accomplishment, transforming from one mode to another. So in my case, yes Transformers have been a big help in my dexterity.

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome story, Soundstang! TFs for Occupational Therapy -- I love it. :thumb 

11. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

It's possible tfs have had an effect on finger dexterity, however, about fifteen years ago I saw a news story about how video gaming has made our thumbs become the most dexterious digit over the index finger.

12. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Or possibly kids whose dexterity wasn't great to start with didn't go on to collect Transformers much.