Has something changed with Stargate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eradicator, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I watched both Stargates yestrday and noticed they were both advertised as season finales. Wasn't Stargate SG1 suposed to end with this season. The show ended with with a to be continued. Has the news of SG1 cancelation changed or did they mean next season is the last?

Also, on another Stargate subject. Do you think they'd have Michael Shanks go to Atlantis as a regular if SG1 is really ending? I know I'd love to see that.

2. Spaceman

Spaceman Shaken not Stirred

Ebay:
    Its the Mid-Season finale.

SG-1 and Atlantis are broken down into 2 "Mini-Seasons" during their real season. These mini-seasons are 10 episodes each. From what I understand Stargate shoots twice a year for one season. SG-1 and Atlantis have been doing this since I remember. Now all the Stargate fans have to wait till March to see the next episodes, instead of in January for thoose of you who watch it on Sci-Fi.

ANyway on the Mid-Season two-parter. I have to say I liked Atlantis better than SG-1. SG-1 had a good first two-parter but I think Atlantis got the better two parter. IMO Atlantis was a bit of Classic SG-1.

Oh and untill MGM says there is no more SG-1 than there will be something next, most people think a TV movie or min-series and the optimistic hope for SG-1 to move to another channel.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, it'd be great to see him, on the other hand, I worry that he might take the spotlight away from the main cast too much if he were there. Atlantis has a great cast already, I feel the SG1 cast would push them out a bit if they were included as well.

4. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I always hit TBCs on season finales like last friday's. I hope they take this time to quickly rewrite the last few stargate sg1 episodes they have left. It wouldn't take long for them to wrap it up seeing as how the last episode ended.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Darned mid season break. Making me wait months to get the conclusion.

*shakes fist at Sci-Fi*

Though on the plus side, BSG's on it's way back.

6. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Movie (TV or not) or mini-series is the only way it can go. SG-1 can't go to another channel. One of the articles about this noted that part of the contract between Sci-Fi and MGM gives Sci-Fi control of what stations SG-1 can be aired on and if new episodes of SG-1 could be aired on another channel if they decided not to renew. In the same article Sci-Fi channel said they will not allow any new episodes of SG-1 to be made. Because MGM signed that contract, Sci-Fi can do that.

Sci-Fi channel = dicks.

7. Spaceman

Ebay:
    Yes that is true but from what I can find that seems only limited to US stations. Bloded for emphises:

Now That doesn't mean that MGM is investagting other options to produce a season 11. Unfortunitly unless Sci-Fi or MGM let people know the exact wording in the contract it is hard to say what it says and if there are any other clasues to that item. Right now the best we can do is write letters and watch SG-1 and Atlantis Live.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Finale.

9. Omnus

News Credits:
    Well, what MGM has said so far is that with the exception of movies or a mini-series, the only thing they can or would want to do is either shift characters over to Atlantis or make a new series that could include some of the old characters.

If that last sentence of yours refers to getting the Sci-Fi channel execs to change their minds, ask Farscape fans how well that works.

Sci-Fi channel = dicks

10. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. It doesn't make since to call it a "Season" finale when it's not, than again this same channel shows wrestling. Actually I can understand them using it for ratings, but it buggs me since they're basically lying about it.

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How do you think I feel?
    With no net at home I've been unable to 'acquire' the first half of the seasons, but will have catching up to do when I get the net back.

12. Spaceman

Ebay:
    First it was Sci-Fi that has talked about SG-1 Charactors going to Atlantis.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6366152.html

I wasn't aware that MGM has said anything abotu the third sereis taking the place of SG-1. My last sentanace was about showing support for the show. Do I think Sci-Fi will reconsider? no, but if SG-1 has strong ratings than who ever MGM is talking to it is a good thing to show as it does have a strong fanbase.

13. Omnus

News Credits:
    Well, seeing the article you cited, you've apparently gotten the info from a different place than the two articles I've read. I didn't bookmark either of those and they were link-off-a-link deals so it's too difficult for me to bother with finding. If Sci-Fi was the first party to actually make the suggestion during meetings, so be it. It really doesn't matter either way as far as I'm concerned.

Huh, now I wish I had bookmarked the one article. I'm not sure if 'taking the place of SG-1' is the best way to phrase it. The article did note that to do this option they would need to make some form of substantial change or Sci-Fi would just start a legal battle saying it's SG-1 in a different name and get the production stopped.

Unfortunately, there are two problems here. The first is that nobody is going to look at letters when it comes to talks about MGM getting something done somewhere else. The second is that it doesn't matter whether you watch it live or not unless you happen to be in a Nielsen household, since that's where the ratings come from. Last I heard, any attempts for direct content providers that could find out what their viewers were watching (digital cable, satellite services) were being rejected as sources of ratings due to those providing DVR capabilities that would let people fast-forward or skip commercials weren't being used for ratings. Since the commercials could be skipped, the advertisers didn't consider them 'true' ratings. Thus it's still Nielsen households controlling what the rest of us get to see, and it doesn't really matter whether we watch live or not.

14. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Does it matter as long as Sci-Fi continues to air Doctor Who?

15. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Both shows return in January.

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I feel your pain my brutha!!

And had I known that I might have been DLing eps and tried out my laptop's DVD burner.

17. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I like this particular midseason break.

It's time for Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica!

18. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Since Sci-Fi has "straw-dog" syndrome, I say fuck 'em and go straight to DVD. It sells well enough in DVD sales and could still air on TV in the international markets.

19. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Not in my opinion. No Sci-Fi show anywhere beats Dr. Who IMO. It even surpasses the old Dr. Who in my eyes.

I literally stopped watching Stargate (either one) when Dr. Who started airing. And I don't watch BSG because it isn't my kind of show.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks anyway.

I've managed to get a few, but when the net is back (which is supposedly this week) I'll be grabbing the rest, and with them being on hiatus it means I won't have a lot of catching up to do.