Has Michael Bay gone to far with the "Secrecy"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimusdestruction, Nov 24, 2008.

1. optimusdestruction

optimusdestruction THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

News Credits:
    With very little to no news on ROTF and the mediocre mis leading information campaign one has to wonder when or if there will ever be a break in the silence. I for one certainly understand not spoiling anything for an upcoming mega block buster, but is ROTF going to be forgotten or left in the dust? Look at a couple poor attempts at hyping the movie, #1 Walmart weekly updates- what a joke. #2- ET movie insider, didn't show anything other than F-16's and interviews that didn't give any news what so ever. No viral marketing, no teaser, no real news, nothing. Are they so confident in this movie that none of this is necessary?

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    With filming over the chance of stuff leeking out is much less. Beside it might be fun to not know every last thing when we sit down to see the flick.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I for one like the secrecy. God forbid we go back to the days where I go to a movie and be SURPRISED by stuff on the screen.

I hates the interwebz sometimes...

4. optimusdestruction

optimusdestruction THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

News Credits:

I agree, but 2009 is right around the corner with some pretty big movies coming. With a project this large I would have assumed some sort of successful marketing behind it. Something to keep everyone concentrated on it rather than one of the other blockbusters coming out.

5. Jumpstart17

Jumpstart17 Legacy of Bumblebee......

I personally think he's both gone too far but is somewhat justified.... I think that if he confirmed a few things that are out there it would draw the attention back to the movie!! Such as the two brightly colored cars including the one that has the license plate "skids" and the trax I would love to have at least that much info that would get me even more excited. Although I think they are tracks and skids but of course I know nothing! LoL

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wouldn't think so. A lot of movies don't reveal stuff till the theatre release.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd say yes, but then the guy is sort of known for taking things a bit too far. Instead of some nice simple statement that would offend no one he finds a way to say something that manages to start some sort of fight :) 

Hard to say if the buzz without really giving you anything is going to work or fail. Looks to be a busy summer yet again so films going for that top spot need to start early. I mean sadly these days it's not so much the quality of your film but the marketing and who can get buzz going in the teen market.

I still contend though that it's really going to be all for nothing. It's not like a fan couldn't go out in the weeks before the movie to see all the toys, the comic books, and all the other products to know just about everything. Only way to really pull off not letting people know anything would be to totally gimp the marketing and hold all the movie related products until after the movie. Given that the franchise is about nothing but making money I don't see them holding back everything just because Bay doesn't want the cat out of the bag early.

8. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

i quite like it. i knew to much before the first one from who was in it to what was going to happen. i for one am looking forward to the surprise. i didnt know anything about TDK before i saw it and enjoyed it loads, as i didnt know what was going to happen next. self control people, iam sure this time next year you would have all seen it many times and forgotten about the wait.

9. MBSHOOT

MBSHOOT Well-Known Member

I love suprise, but i cant help but always try and ruin it for my self.

Its like when your a kid and you hunt for presents before christmas.

10. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    TF ROTF forgotten and left in the dust? Are you seriously worried about that??

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    It's also up to the studio for marketing and promotion. Bay is still working for them, after all.

12. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    No.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I think keeping the plot (or possible lack thereof) under wraps makes total sense, and I encourage it. I also hope he doesn't do what he did last time by giving away most of the best transform sequences in the trailers (which he originally said he wouldn't do).

As for characters getting revealed, it's not really a worry since we all know how many of the toys will be leaked months before the movie ever comes out. The fact that we already have a general idea of what one form of Soundwave looks like basically confirms we'll be seeing a shitload of these things once 2009 kicks in and will know exactly what to expect.

14. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I also like the secrecy and keeping the fans guessing.

However, I would've liked to see a trailer before the Thanksgiving holiday and something similar to that S7 site that was done during the fall/winter of 2006 (the one where you entered a password that changed every so often and had little video/audio clips...that was fun)

15. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I think the ROTF marketers have done right not to reveal much up until now. How could they anyway, they've only recently wrapped up shooting right? I imagine right now they're finalizing the first teaser trailer. So i should hope we'll see that before 2008 draws to a close.

16. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I'm just gonna say it all that if they don't hurry up and give us some news about
    the movie it ain't gonna be a blockbuster like the first one,since most people
    want to be somewhat spoiled.Just like the Harry Potter movie coming out next
    summer,or Wolverine Origin too,they already have trailers or spoilers for them.
    Also my point,why would anyone wanna go see ROTF if they don't know what its
    about or who is in it or nothing.So I say if they wanna movie goer's to see it so
    they can make money then give us something to wetten our appetite.

17. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think not knowing about every last detail of the film is a good thing. However, I do think we could at least be told what characters appear in the sequel besides the ones from the first. A teaser trailer by the end of the year would be nice, too.

18. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

The early response from fandom to some of the decisions that were being made on the first movie went a long way to alter and improve the film in places that it was failing or lackluster. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot here; if the target audience for the sequel finds itself generally disgruntled with the aesthetic choices, etc., this time around, then they'll only have themselves to blame.

I mean if they plan to introduce, say, Hot Rod, as a giant, mechanical, Decepticon centipede voiced by Fran Drescher, there'll be no early fan reaction to properly illustrate that it's a bad idea. Remember, these are the guys who thought Optimus Prime looked like this: [​IMG]

And almost put Megatron's head in a pistachio, or something:[​IMG]