Has it happened or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kenm2474, Oct 17, 2008.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I was at work thinking of the deaths of certain Transformers and it dawned on me What if a member of a combiner team was eliminated? I mean ther are so many combiner teams both good and bad and some not very smart at all that death has bound to come around to one of them at one time or another. Would they make a new member or just split up not to ever form there Gestalt self again?

2. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Random combiner members got killed off during the G2 comic. In particular, Slingshot died alongside Slag at the hands of the Swarm.

As for what happens if a member does die... Not a clue. In Japanese continuity they might be able to replace the member with someone from another team, they did that a lot during Scramble City's days. In American continuities, I dunno. Bruticus seemed pretty dependant on having Brawl complete with his personality component for them to combine.

3. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if they loose a leg they get a Crutchticon or Caneobot :lolol 

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

they weep and hop around. what happens if the head gets blown off though?

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I always liked to think that they eventually drafted Blades to take his place, considering Hot Spot bought it in G2, too.

6. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Devastator's head wasn't blown off, but close enough
    Devastator

Superion

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back when the Universe(1) repaint of Build King as Devastator came out. I imagined a few possibilities for why the team had only four members instead of six. The obvious answer would be that two were killed off, and the remaining members rebuilt themselves to be able to combine with only four members (they are the "Army Corps of Engineers" of the Decepticons, after all). In my concept, the small bulldozer was Scrapper instead of Bonecrusher (taking the form in honor of the fallenteam member), and Devastator was a bit smarter and calmer, as the two more reckless and nutty members of the team (Bonecrusher and Mixmaster) weren't adding their influence to the shared mind.

Other combiner teams might do something similar if a team member is lost (if they had access to the technical expertise), either reworking to combine with fewer members or bringing someone new in. Given the idea that most combiners' minds are a combo of the team members' personalities, any loss or substitution should affect the personality of the combined form in some way.

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    According to the Marvel Comics Guide To The Transformers Universe (paraphrasing) - If a combiner team member is destroyed, the team cannot combine into the gestalt. This is because a gestalt is the combination of all the intelligences and personalities. Some of them lend to intelligence, some to the ethics programming, etc.

If a member is lost while in gestalt mode, then the others share the pain, even after disconnection from the whole, and can feel the loss.

"Next on 'Oprah' - Gestalt Depression, and what to do about it?"

9. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Dormamu, I think you replied in the wrong thread.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Edited. Somehow a prior post was inserted in place of what I had written for this thread. My own fault.

11. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I guess if the death happens in IDW or the modern day, maybe some Stasis Pod/ Protoform trick like how Optimus Primal was revived, or if there is still a chance for the CR chamber (which first came about in BW and is now used in stories set in G1). But if the death happend in the days before a TF could take heavy damage without dying ( I'm talikng the damage the shuttle crew took or all the crap that happend to Waspinator and Tarantulus) then they're toast

12. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting.

13. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

There were a few instances in the G1 cartoon where one of the combiner members was missing, so they transformed, but with missing limbs. The main example being when First Aid quit, and Defensor had to work one handed. Another one was when the Decepticons were fighting over energon, and the constructicons tried to merge, but one of the ones forming the arm just bounced off before it connected.

It's not really rocket science to say that if one of the pieces doesn't combine then that piece is missing, but they were amusing events nonetheless.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO this combiner thingy is ridden with inconsistency. As mentioned in the above post, in one of the season 3 episodes, the Protectobots were able to form Defensor without First Aid. Other than the lack of his left hand, his personality seems intact. This leads me to think that at times the Gesault's personality could be independent of the individual members.

And let's not forget that the bios of the G1 catoons were written by the folks at Marvel also - I guess it boils down to inconsistent writing.

15. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

I'm not understanding at all why at any time they couldn't combine without a member. These are after all "highly advanced robots". Therefore, I can understand how each one contributes individually to the gestalt, but in the same sentence(ha ha) shouldn't they be able to function minus an arm or even a leg? Although the minus a leg thingy might be a little awkward. I'm basically inquiring as to the possibility that their advanced programming should allow for a "missing limb".

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I recall, in the Marvel UK comic the Constructicons "lost the ability to combine" and so set about creating Devastator as a unique transformer. Although there was no indication one of them had died and this led to their loss of Devastator-goodness, it is a possibility.

(Now some one with the comic to hand will come in and correct me and say all six were seen in "Starting Over"!)

So, if a combiner member was killed, perhaps Bruticus, Defensor et al could be made as their own unique 'bot!

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like to think that they cannot transform without the other members. Each member is integral to their team, specifically designed in the combiner process for conversion with only they Gesalt form.

In my own TF world, with all the recent combiner members getting new combinerless forms (Silverbolt, Onslaught, Deadend, Swindle, Blades). I like to explain it that the Autobots and Decepticons have signed a treaty for the reconfiguration of combiner individuals into self-sustaining modes. Instead of stasis prison, they have to have independent forms.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Dead End, you better tune in! The Stunticons are sick of it all! :lol 

19. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

They become politicians.

20. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

don't know if this idea has ever been explored in the official sense but i believe this fan fic story does a rather thorough job of exploring that particular scenario when it comes to the death of a combiner team member and how the surviving members of the team could make an attempt to restore their fallen comrade to life

heres the fanfiction link for devastated

Devastated, a Transformers/Beast Wars fanfic - FanFiction.Net