Has HM shot themselves in the foot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With a game that so many people are already on the fence about, why not have a demo for both consoles? I don't understand their logic. You would think you would want to win over as many people as possible.

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    This has been stated time and again. Putting demos on PSN costs them more money than XBox Live. As a result, they probably made the decision to put it on Live because it costs them less overhead.

3. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    No one decided to shaft PS3 owners of spite. It was a development choice, according to Matt Tieger. They probably just didn't have the time to cut two demos. Whatever. If someone makes their decision to not buy a game based on the lack of a demo then I feel sorry for them because there have been some awesome games that have come out that did not have demos that were missed out on.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to say no because all games don't receive demos. Only those of us who've been keeping an ear to the ground even knows a demo was in the works and is happening for one system. The average gamer is oblivious to such news.

Why would the developer have to pay for a demo designed for the console they’re going to sell product for? Don’t they already give a portion of their profits the systems they develop for with each item sold?

Here’s another question: does Sony pass on the costs of free online gaming to developers?

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to say no because all games don't receive demos. Only those of us who've been keeping an ear to the ground even knows a demo was in the works and is happening for one system. The average gamer is oblivious to such news.

Why would the developer have to pay for a demo designed for the console they’re going to sell product for? Don’t they already give a portion of their profits the systems they develop for with each item sold?

Here’s another question: does Sony pass on the costs of free online gaming to developers?

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:

^
    That

7. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    I still think it's going to hurt them.

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Have they shot themselves in the foot?
    Not really. To suggest that is overreacting pretty badly.

Nobody is going to boycott the game because there wasnt a demo for the platform they own, thats the kind of tantrum you'd expect from an ill disciplined child.

Sucks for people planning on getting it for PS3/PC if they dont get the demo, but with less than two weeks to the US launch, its hardly a crisis.

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Nobody said anything about boycotting. But people who are on the fence won't buy a game they aren't sure about it. That's why they should give a demo to everybody.

10. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    I'm a PS3 owner, no demo doesn't bother me. I'll still pick it up.

11. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    A lot guys working on the games are paid hourly, and some are essentially mercenaries, being that you are not guaranteed a job after a major project is completed. As such they have to pay guys to develop the demo, it's not as simple as cutting a line or two of code out of the program. It requires recompiling codes, rewriting certain ones, and additional separate QA testing. All we see is the end product, but you don't simply remove characters and the thing just works the same. As such it costs them to make the demo.

Then factor in that hosting and uploading the demo to XBox live is free to them (because XBox live is a paid service), while it costs them more money to do so for PSN. Then consider that developers have already, time and again stated, the PS3 is theoretically more powerful, but harder to develop for. Microsoft had dev kits freely available to companies years before sony. As such, this generation, it's easier to make games for the 360.

HM is merely trying to save some money. Personally I understand as someone who did programming. Microsoft has taken a large chunk of the gaming crowd from Sony, not only on the consumer end, but the developer end as well. I mean people complain about XBox Live being $60 dollars a year... It's 5 bucks a month. You can't afford $1.25 a week for a better online experience for your $300 dollar game system?

The fact that Xbox Live is paid funds some of the exclusives they get first. In essence, you get what you pay for. How would Sony pass the cost of free online gaming? Sony's considering charging for online, so they can build a better online experience, not to mention recoup some of the tons of bucks they lost promoting and unnecessarily forcing BluRay into the PS3.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    They could always just spend the $8 or whatever to rent it. That'd what I do with games I'm on the fence about. Sure beats spending $60

And ceasar u rock. Thx for explaining it so well :) 
    Xbox ftw!

13. fastballspecial

News Credits:
    Nailed it.

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For those who live in countries were renting games is legal that's great. Unfortunately for me, this isn't an option, as game rentals are illegal in Japan—renting albums/CDs (American and other) is legal, however.

15. fastballspecial

News Credits:
    It's a never ending battle. No demo? Deal with it.

16. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    Wow. Renting games is illegal? I never knew that. I wonder why renting that one form of media is restricted.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    But this close to release, if all the gameplay stuff and all the interviews/screens/etc havent swayed you, then the chances of a demo doing that are slim to none.

I have no idea what it would cost HM to get a demo on PSN too, but I assume they calculated it just wasnt worth it in the longrun.
    They probably put a lot of thought into it, it isnt like they just said 'Playstation isnt getting the demo and thats that' on a flip decision.

18. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    I don't know. When the first UFC game was announced I was on the fence about it. A demo came out I dl it and enjoyed and now have UFC 2009 and 2010. Demos can go a long with customers on the fence.

19. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, I never asked or researched why; I just no that it is. Perhaps Japan's previous (current) issue with modchips played a role in this. R4 chips can be found in vending machines and game stores despite the fact that they are illegal.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Oh absolutely. But for a smaller developer like HM, they may not have been able to put as much time/money in to get it out.