Has Hasbro finally got Distribution right?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by McBradders, Oct 26, 2006.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

With regards to Classics, seems like a lot of people have seen or bought them in their area.

I haven't seen a single "OMG HASBRO DISTRIBUTION SUCKS!" thread in the -longest- time.

During Armada, Energon and even a little in Cybertron, there were many, many complaints about poor distribuition. Also, Alternators.

Ignoring case ratio's, have they finally got it right? Or is it a case of with the movie coming out it's a simple case of boosting brand recognition once more?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I certainly hope so... I hope that there will be Grimlocks, Mirages, Jetfires, etc galore when they come out...

3. McBradders

You're one of the whinier examples of Hasbro's poor distribution of past, you have all the classics?

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The first wave is always easy to find. It's the later waves that people usually complain about.

5. McBradders

Stop putting spanners in my works!

6. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

Got all I wanted in one shot last week. Definitely easier than hunting down the latest Marvel Legends. If it goes this easy, collecting the Classics will be a breeze. Give me hope for the Hasbro ML.

7. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

I don't think it's really Hasbro changing anything. It's just that Classics is the first wave of a new line (which normally gets ordered heavily by stores somewhat irrespective of the old line, unlike second or third waves), and there's only two size classes so far. There's not much for stores to have problems with.

Phazer

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's right now, when there's an equal and even amount of each figure per case. Next wave, when there's 1 Grimlock per case, and probably one Jetfire per case, people will resume the going apeshit.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Gotta agree with Nevermore and Phazer. Nobody ever has trouble finding the first wave of anything.

Stuff like new Titaniums and the last waves of Cybertron are just as much of a bitch to find as always.

10. McBradders

plz dlte

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Betcha your nerdcock doesn't feel quite as mighty, huh Twin Twist? :p 

And for the record, since I moved from Iowa to Oklahoma, I haven't been able to find jack squat, as is, we were a month late in getting Cybertron wave 9 (beast recolors), and aside from a local specialty shop (Hastings) I haven't seen Classics at all.
    Last two cases of Cybertron we got locally were the remixed wave 9 that had the old Armada remolds cycled in (bastards)

But I think Nevermore and Phazer got it though, with not as much product across fewer pricepoints, Classics was simply ordered in enough quantity to get out as soon as it did.

12. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    i think it helps this wave is small. 4 dx, 2 vyg. a lot less to look for or complain about not finding.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

No, I don't think they finally got it right. Looking at the stores I see lots of Bumblebees and Rodimuses. Rodimi? Whatever. A few Astrotrains and absolutely NO Starscreams. So what's the next case ratio?

2 Mirage - good because it's a new toy in its first wave

2 Bumblebee - dumb because even as cool as he is a blind monkey could have told you Starscream would sell better than Bumblebee

1 Grimlock - do I even have to point out how dumb it is that a new toy is getting less than a toy from wave one?

1 Starscream - this is the one toy that sells out instantly every re-stock, and thus is the only wave one toy that should have been doubled up in wave 2

1 Rodimus - fair, but I'm guessing he's reached saturation because he and Bumblebee are everywhere

1 Astrotrain - again, fair, but they could have considered dropping Astrotrain for another Starscream or Grimlock

That case ratio is from BBTS's wave 2 listing for a case. I'm kind of hoping it's an error and it's actuall 2 Cliffjumpers instead of 2 Bumblebees, but I doubt it's wrong. So look for Bumblebee to be clogging the shelves for MONTHS. Grimlock will be impossible to find. Mirage will be so-so, because the rest of the wave is made up of toys that are already out and I would guess that those toys will take up most of the peg space after a couple cases of wave 2 have been put out in most stores. Mirage and Grimlock will disappear fast, the rest of the case will languish and remove incentive for restock of wave 2 and ordering of wave 3.

I've always wondered who dreams up case ratios beyond wave 1. There's almost always at least one decision per wave that makes me wonder what the heck they were thinking. Bumblebee is the contender in wave 2 of Classics deluxes.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I think you're being just a wee bit harsh. The case assortment isn't THAT bad. Here's why:

First, the most popular characters in the line are probably going to be from the first wave.

Second, Bumblebee is arguably the best of the wave 1 Deluxe molds.

Third, Bumblebee and Starscream are pretty much a toss up in terms of adult collector recognition. Both are popular among fans both hardcore and casual, and both are highly similar to their original designs, capturing the "Hey, I remember that guy!" crowd.

Fourth, Bumblebee is the most likely toy in the line to have kid appeal.

Fifth, anecdotal evidence of one person's experience is not valid to determine case assortments nationwide. Around here, Bumblebee is the hardest Deluxe to find, with Starscream coming in third behind Rodimus. Starscreams are relatively plentiful. I can walk into any store in town today and buy a Starscream. Not so with Bumblebee.

Sixth, Grimlock is arguably the most dramatically different Deluxe from his original appearance, which MIGHT limit his appeal, especially to casual fans. Not saying it will, just that it's a possibility.

Seventh, Grimlock and Mirage will almost certainly be in the third wave with Cliffjumper and Ramjet, and with more favorable case ratios I'd wager. If this were all we were getting, I'd be upset too because of how difficult Grimlock would be to find at one per case. But since we know another wave is coming, I wouldn't be too worried.

Finally, planning case assortments is done months in advance. It's easy to criticize after the toys are out on shelves and you can see how people are responding to them. It's not so easy to basically guess what will be most popular months ahead of time.

15. McBradders

My nerdcock feels fine.

Don't you?

Yes.

16. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

so far for classics it has been good. I'm still waiting for Beast Wars 10th prime and megatron however.

17. Night Flame

I guess we'll see. Every line around here ends up losing out on the last two to three waves of the mainline because earlier waves after wave one are so screwed up that you end up with a glut of one or two figures taking up all the shelf space. And I know that's not just me providing anecdotal evidence as the complaints of CDF Red Alert glut everywhere were rampant. So whether or not Grimlock and Mirage are in later assortments is pretty meaningless in my area. It's doubtful we'll get much out of waves past wave two, maybe wave three.

I'm not trying to assault anyone's integrity over the issue, I just think case distribution is a trick that they haven't ironed out yet. And, with the history to draw on that Transformers has, you'd think they'd get a little closer to the mark. I see evidence in my area that the case distribution for wave 2 is going to miss the mark. We may very well be an odd market, but Cybertron has proven to follow the same trends as others have complained about seeing.

Let's just say I'm glad I order most of my toys online. With distribution the way it is in my area, I have absolutely no shot at toys that only make the fourth wave onward in any line.

18. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I agree and unlike the ML, there aren't a thousand variants of one charachter. Although I havent seen to many new alts in this area, lot of the same shelfwarmers. Oh yeah and Astrotrain seems to be the big shelfwarmer in my immediate vicinity.

19. Night Flame

I had to come back for this because it ate at my brain after I posted my first response.

While possibly true, lord knows I can't disagree with it, how do kids or adults know that when they first see them?

Along these lines, most adults seem to really like Starscream, and either be indifferent to, or outright dislike Bumblebee. At least, as far as characters go. Starscream was a whiner. Bumblebee was an emo whiner.

This one is the part that really ate at me. How would Bumblebee have the most kid appeal? Keep in mind, to most kids (not kids of hard-core collectors obviously, but your average kid who likes Transformers on his own) these are not characters other than by what's on the back of the card. They're just toys when they first see them. As such, you'll probably have a very small segment of kids that just love gimpy looking cars, and a far larger segment that dig jets. I just can't imagine young boys not digging fighter jets. I realize the world's changed since my day and age, but you show a kid a fighter jet slashing across the sky, and his eyes light up and he smiles like a madman. In my mind, that would translate to the jet having more appeal than the car for the younger crowd.

Now, if the G1 show was on the air these days, I'd one hundred percent agree with you that Bumblebee would be at least AS likely to appeal to kids as Starscream, if not appeal to kids more. But today, when the show hasn't been on the air in ages, most kids will say, "Hmm, yellow car, grey fighter jet." Not, "Hmm, Whiney annoying Autobot kid-alike, or whiney, annoying, Decepticon usurper."

In fact, as far as character recognition goes for kids, Starscream is a character to them, Bumblebee is nothing. Translation: Starscream is another incarnation of a character they've seen before. Bumblebee never existed. Edge to Starscream again.

So how do you come up with Bumblebee having more kid appeal? I'm genuinely curious about this. The only edge I can give to Bumblebee as far as kids are concerned is in parental approval. Instead of a weapon, he comes with a little jetski on a trailer. Some non-violent types might see that as more acceptable if their kid HAS to have a war-robot toy. Though I'm doubting those parents would be in the action figure aisle in the first place.

20. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

We'll see when alt ravage and rumble come out just how improved it is.