Has collecting lost some of that addiction for you over the holidays?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 10, 2012.

1. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    It comes in waves. Ive been collecting for well over a decade now, some years were crazy involved, some others I didnt spend a dime.

2. Mitch FIN Keith

Mitch FIN Keith Autobot

actually, this christmas season has brought my catch up game nearly to a end, which means all i do now is wait for new things and only pay retail which is awesome. the only figures im still looking for is a CHUG Starscream and Nemesis Prime

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been collecting toys for about the last 13 years.

The past year has been one of the slowest and dullest for me. The only transformer I have on pre order is MP-11 Starscream.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    For me, it's only INCREASED it. Thanks to the armies of Bumblebees and shelfwarmers being removed from toy shelves, it's brought in new product that I want. One trip to a post-Christmas Target yielded Black Shadow, two Junkheaps, HA Dragstrip, and HA Reverb, none of whom had been in my area before.

5. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

For me I got a lot of my wants full filled and a lot of the new stuff barely interest me since I have that's kind of like it; example I'm happy to own the Insecticon reissues and have no desire to own the FP Insecticons. Then there are things that I wanted at one time, but the desire fade away, like I have no interest to own any more of the holy grails of the Transfandom. Like to see how much they cost is enough to snap me out of it.

So I'm content with the collection I already have and I love how spacial my place is.

6. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Ya thanks guys. Unlike my old hobbies that died out, for tfs theres so much to do. Theres the movies, tv series, conventions, and ALOT of toys. SO I hope to stay a tf fan, with a few occasional brake. I have quite an impressive collection for a 13 year old lol! The only past hobbies I haven't let go yet are cars, tae kwon doe, and basketball, but for now I'm mostly in to Transformers. I may sell some of my 07 movie toys as I dont have much of an interest for em anymore. I just hope one day I will own a city commander. I also want some sort of g1 prime update. I have my eye on the hasbro mp prime, but if its prime I feel I gotta go for the best for mp10, but 250 bucks is a lot of money, and I just got some new $100 basketball shoes, so I'll wait a little for my next purchase. I am currently watching ko city commander, but finding a classics magnus at a good price will be tough. I REALLY wish I got one back in 07 for really cheap instead of all those movie figures! :( 

7. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

It happens to us all.

I really only get bummed out when I can't finish the crap I need to finish in my room so I can get the majority of my collection displayed. Have a room of mess for the last year'ish or so and only get to work on it sparingly.

I don't ride any high's or low's of the hobby per say. I'm patient and know what stuff goes for and what it is worth. Good deals abound I pull the trigger, market prices getting stupid? I sit back and watch.

Now u folks collecting all the lines and exhaustingly photographing and cataloging them and the third party stuff................. I would burn out on all that.

I stick to G1 and homage stuff like Generations with the smallest of small sprinklings of third party.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been collecting for a little over 10 years now, and I can tell you it comes and goes. There's been long stretches where I didn't visit the boards for months at a time, didn't buy much at all (though this was before the third party blitz and usually during movie lines), but there's also times where I'm all gung ho about it. Botcon news and podcast coverage usually reinvigorate me pretty well.

The space issue is one we all face, you may have to just accept that you'll need to limit what you can display and put some stuff in boxes. Or just limit the size of the collection.

As for buying G1... well, the best thing for that is patience. Troll ebay hard and wait for the good deals to come along. They're uncommon but they can be had.

9. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

I just am still chasing down the hard to get Gens/Rts/Classics I missed out on. Only DotM I bought were Shockwave and the wreckers, just tired of the movie aesthetic for now.

Saving up for my first Botcon and seeing Prime remind me of Animated(one of the best lines in my opinion) also forced a slow down.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

It's been a great season for me. I've added a lot of G1 Transformers and vintage Star Wars toys to my collection this year. Couldn't be happier.

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I'm not stoked til stuff is being released, then I get caught up and sorta bored. At times like that, I hit the vintage shops around me (Flea Markets, Antique Stores, Romney Toy Shop, etc...) and try to piecemeal anything that I can find. Occasionally I hit really good paydirt, like finding Classics Cliffjumper for $2, or Groove and First Aid for $3 each. Mostly just disappointment.

12. HeavyArms

HeavyArms Well-Known Member

Yes because I have not seen anything I want at stores; TF: Prime and new DOTM wave :( 

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Toy collecting used to be fun, but now it just seems so frustrating and annoying that I almost wonder why I got into the crazy hobby in the first place.

Hasbro just seems to be getting worse and worse at letting a poor collector finish off some part of their collection.

At one point I was really excited for the Marvel Universe figures because how cool will it be to have things like GI Joe scale Avengers, X-Men, or Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. But damn even a four member team like the Fantastic Four takes years to complete and you often have to buy some store special pack or comic book pack with a figure you already have to even get close on teams. So I gave up on Marvel Universe and look to sell off my collection this summer.

Transformers is feeling kind of frustrating like there will never be a complete Classic collection. Just too many characters are starting to feel like third party only characters.

A bit scared to start to a Transformers Prime collection after what happened to Transformers Animated and GI Joe Renegades cartoon getting the ax before the toys were even on shelves.

Even GI Joe has lost some of it's fun since the only realistic option for me is to order entire waves at once which cuts out the thrill of the hunt or stumbling upon an extra Zombie Viper.

Need more of the fun back and Hasbro to cut out a bit of the frustration even though some of the frustration has more to do with retailers than Hasbro.