Has CHUG Killed G1 Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Goldlock, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I think I like G1 because it's old and valuable. That said, I only have four Minibots...

If there was a fire, I'd obviously grab my little Classics shelf. Classics is great (sans a few... Rodimus, Galvatron, Hotshot, Cheetor, etc.). It's G1 (mainly), but updated to make them legit. If G1 has no hype, it'd be like "Who the fuck wants those ugly bricks?"

That's what I say.

2. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    With all respect every one's opinion deserves, I will disagree with most of all.

G1 toys were the most advanced toys of their time, specially season 1 & 2(diaclone molds).

They did what they intended to do and were durable, proof of it is the existence of toys now that lasted the brutal playing of kids and more than 20 years.

On poseability: yes they lacked this a lot but honestly who as a kid cares if your toy has the ability to knee or bent to stretch their lower back? You had a figure that was a car and a robot! And this brings on the fact that they are toys for kids.

The demand for more posable and articulated figure was created by us the *kids that grew up and now wanted to display the toys instead of playing with them. * * * * *

On proportions: g1 toys are old and obviously computer design has helped improve the characters appearance but again this is something irrelevant to me why? Because transformers are robots not humans, I mean if You said that*GI Joe figures or masters of the universe were disproportionate I would agree but where is it stated how long a robot arm's should be or how big his head is the right size? Nowhere!

Besides g1 toys let the kids use something today's figures don't IMAGINATION!*

For these reasons and many more I think g1 will never be overthrown from it's place.

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    G1 wins because it's acronym isn't horrible.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

If it wasn't for classics et al, I wouldn't be selling off my entire G1 collection.

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Also, it might have to do with the high value of that G1 collection, which wouldn't still be a factor if G1 actually was dead.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Very fair comment. I've made a lot of money from selling off my G1s, so whilst I can do without them now I have classics to take their place, there is obviously a good amount of interest from a lot of people out there.

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

As a collector that came in a bit late, I see very little appeal in G1 beyond figures like Soundwave and Reflector, who have alt modes which we'll probably never see again. Past that, Classics-styled figures all the way.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um...as a kid who played the hell out of all my toys, even ones I knew would be worth something if I didn't, I valued posability quite highly. I collected G2 the year it was mostly repainted G1 molds that could barely move their legs, and I got burnt out of them almost immediately. My Batman, Star Trek, Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, and Godzilla all had about five points of articulation each, and blew them away.

I could barely even play with Megatron, he had a hilarious battle cry and the best spring-loaded missile gimmick I've ever seen, and he couldn't even throw a punch at Optimus.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

I cared a TON for articulation as a kid! I always found battle scenes and playfights much more dynamic with the inclusion of articulation. How do you make a Seeker fire his weapon? Point his arm and fire the missile. A Joe could take cover, could "roll," could jump into a vehicle and pilot it, could fire a missile, could dig, could run, could sneak...

Articulation gives you a wide range of play that isn't present in G1. It does not stifle imagination, but rather allows a kid to really expand upon their play. That's why I see that Mattel does such a disservice to kids with

10. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I like the Classic styled TFs because it allows me to have all the characters I wanted when I was a kid(and even some I had) without having to pay an arm and a leg for them. G1 will always be G1, but it's great to be able to get guys like Wheeljack and Sunstreaker at an affordable price.

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Like its been said, the original G1 toys hold a lot of nostalgia and sentimental value. While the more modern lines will allow for more detail and articulation, they're not the same "vehicles" that the originals were (with the exception of the seekers retaining the F-15 body style). Heck, even the movie line figures are totally different than what anyone would think that they'd look. Megatron isn't a gun......the seekers are F-22 raptors, etc etc. Their robot form even looks more alien like than robot. I think each line has their own thing. For me, the newer lines don't take away from the g1 toys and they never will.

12. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

what the hell is CHUG?

13. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said! :thumbs2: 

14. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    No. But what needs to be killed is that stupid as name CHUG. Classics. Plain and simple.

15. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    chucky has a girlfriend :D 

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish. If it had then, theoretically, I'd be able to get G1 Wreckgar, Cyclonus and Thrust a hell of a lot cheaper than what they're going for right now and save a lot of money finishing up my G1 collection.

Anyway, I like both lines equally and Classics doesn't diminish my enthusiasm for the original G1 toys at all. While the G1 figures are a bit dated now, they still stand up very well over time and are a lot of fun for their own reasons. The G1 toys satisfy my nostalgic enjoyment of the original line, while Classics provide the same characters with great modern engineering.

17. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    lol...yeah....but then...what would the full acronym be to include the RTS line, HFTD line...etc?

18. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lets all face though, that Classics wouldn't be around if it wasn't for G1. All of the classics figures get their basic design from the original G1 stuff. Are the classics superior to G1 design and look wise? Mostly. But the whole thing is they are an homage to a bygone era when G1 was pretty revolutionary.

Then there's the whole diecast metal construction issue. Its a lost art. ;-)

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Defintly. I always had a soft spot for the G1 Combiners.

In every other field tho, Classics kicks their asses.

20. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I've seen CHUGURTS thrown around and is equally, if not more, assinine.