Has CHUG Killed G1 Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Goldlock, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Now we've gotten so many updates to classic characters; has anyone else found that some of the original versions have lost their play appeal?

Obviously someone with strong nostalgia for their G1 figures might not have any-such problem; but for those 'post G1', what would you say?

EDIT: Let's just call them 'Classics' rather than CHUG!

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CHUG sucks!!! Classics rules!!!

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I havent played with the toys since about 1990, so they had lost their play appeal long before. But the Classics shelves sure make the G1 shelves look much less interesting. Love em both, need em both, would probably let my classics go first if I had to, but they are getting close.

4. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

As someone who collects Classics and CHUG to get more of a modern approach to characters I grew up watching, I still think the G1 figures are the pinnacle. They represent the very beginning.

However, as the OP has pointed out, I will never attempt to collect the G1 figures because I feel that they are too bulky.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Classics are better than G1. Now we need only a Powermaster Prime and Arcee :) 

6. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    until they make a good version of every g1 figure i own in classics style i wont even entertain the thought of getting rid of the og's .

7. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    For me: Totally.

Heck even before the very first wave of classics had hit, I'd turned my back on most of G1, I sold and swore off of all things Diaclone (I've still got a Microchange fetish though!). Fragile, poorly proportioned bricks with no play value. Ugh. G2 and BeastWars ruined me for the toys of my youth. I still have a few G1 guys (Lots of the Tapes, and a few other key representations of characters who are special to me), but the rest I hope to never have to handle again.

Enter the modern CHUGHUHGTLORTS lines, and now that I have modern-quality representaitons of my favorite charcaters in their (more or less) classic stylings, I've got NO reason to look back.

The scalpers, nostalgia-hounds, value-hoarders, and original-is-best'ers will always love G1, and the value of the old stuff still seems to be rising (I'm guessing the Movie hype is still fueling lots of Nostalgia goggle power), but for me, it's lost it's charm (well..except for Microchange...it's hard to argue with Browning...)

D/L

8. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

I grew up with G1. For me the modern revisions has not affected the appeal of them at all. I like them both a lot. Also, my 3 year old boy loves all of my toys. He can handle the transformation of some of the G1 toys but the new toys are way over his head. I think it's great that we can play with them together.

9. Kramerica

Kramerica Banned

I think that's like comparing apples to oranges. Classics are great but they aren't 25-30 year old toys. I think if you're collecting real origins you're collecting them for different reasons than you are Classics. Classics Prime is great but thats not the toy I played with when I was a kid. the originals bring back great memories.

10. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Destrongerlupus said it best.

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    G1 has a large fanbase and is generally revered for its origins and nostaglia.

12. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kramerica said it best!

13. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, I still like my G1 collection; but i've lost any & all desire to pick them up or collect anymore of them. Every G1 bot I have is now stored away in favour of the classics lines.

Nice to hear everybody's opinions though! :) 

14. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Honestly even tho like others say that the originals are bricks I still wouldn't give mine up for anything,cause when those came out waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy back then my first thoughts were that these were the coolest things ever,and going on 30 years later I am still amazed by how you have atleast 2 toys in 1,to be able to change it from robot to vehicle (or something else like cassette player) is just mind boggling.

As for classics or chug I say they are great figures with tons more articulation and detail I think these are just as good simply cause of that.But I wouldn't wanna choose if I had to give one up.That is all.

15. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I love G1 because I never as a kid had as many G1 figures as I do now. I'm actually kind of grateful. It gives me a good reference to what the old looks like versus the new. Yeah, articulation is a plus with the new figures, but still, the G1 figures were IMAGINATIVE. Prime turned into an 80's Japanese semi, Frenzy and Rumble were cassettes, Megatron was a gun. With the current line, the imagination has gone into the engineering, not into the characters. I love both lines, because G1 was where we had some of the most creativity.

16. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I got into collecting at about 5 or 6 yrs old at about 2001, mind you it was actual toy factor not collecting. Now I own a lot of G1 and a lot of classics. I love the new updates to the original toys, but like many others here say, the original Toys have not lost their style. They are the beginning of the Transformers Toy-dom as we know. But they are still fun to look at and still fun to fiddle. I still the G1 megatron (though not 100% accurate to the cartoon) is still a great relatively intricate figure to fiddle around with.

17. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I love them both, I however buy what what best fits the budget in this rougher times so classics it is

18. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I'm a die hard G1 fan and that's all I collect. I can definitely see the appeal of CHUG over G1 but sheer nostalgia and the fact that I still think that many of the G1 originals are better constructed than their CHUG counterparts make it a no-brainer for me.
    Like anything else, in the end, it's just a matter of what tickles your pickle more.

19. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still enjoy G1 figures. Yeah, they may be unarticulated and stuff, but I dont know, there is something I like about them. And I grew up with Beast Wars. Then again, there are VERY few Transformers that I dont like(I can only think of one off the top of my head, and thats Movie Cannon Bumblebee)

But I dont have any G1 stuff anymore, I sold most of it. Mainly because, well, I dont know. I needed the money I guess. But I would like to have a Predaking and Metroplex again someday...

20. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i love g1. im still hunting for my g1 collection.